“Good value for money but not fantastic”
Review of 5th Corner Hotel

5th Corner Hotel
Ranked #52 of 357 Hotels in St. Petersburg
Reviewed September 10, 2010

We chose this hotel for its fairly good rate (compared to many other places in St Petersburg), the room was clean, and the bathroom as well. 2 lamps were broken, and they were never repaired during our stay even though we mentioned it on the 1st night. Mind the stairs - no elevator - (high ceiling building), not too convenient if you have big luggage. Staff friendliness is nothing special to mention, OK. Breakfast is fine as well, enough variety. Location is convenient as well, 5 min walk to the closest Metro Stop Vladimirskaya, and good 15 min to the Nievsky Prospekt. I would recommend this hotel if you have a limited budget. Visa assistance upon payment of a fee.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank newton18
5CornerHotel_manager, Director of Sales at 5th Corner Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 16, 2010

Dear Guest, Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

There are newer reviews for 5th Corner Hotel

Reviewed September 8, 2010

My husband and I really enjoyed this hotel!
1. The area was perfect for us - a 5 minute walk to the metro station, OR a 15-or-so minute walk to the busy part of Nevsky Prospect. I also must add that there were tons of shoe stores in this area. I'm talking 20 or 30! I bought 2 pairs. so if you like shoes, this is a bonus! This area had an urban feel to it, so if you don't like "city" atmosphere, this may not be for you. It didn't feel very touristy, which was good for us.

2. As for the hotel, itself, it was really nice. I wouldn't say fancy, but very clean and nice and friendly staff. I think they spoke English, but I was trying to practice my Russian, so not sure. The breakfast was good, too. Hot stuff was hot, cold stuff was cold, and there was plenty for everyone. (Plenty of seats, too.)

If I had to report something that was less than perfect, there were 2 small things: 1 - the fulll size bed was actually 2 mattresses pushed together, as you sometimes find in Russia/Europe. 2 - There was a sewage smell that was occasionally noticeable in the restroom. We closed the bathroom door and didn't notice the smell in the room.

I was so happy we stayed at this hotel and I would definately stay there again :)

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank karoseyn
5CornerHotel_manager, Director of Sales at 5th Corner Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 9, 2010

Dear Guest, Thank you for posting a review, I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay and I look forward to welcoming you back to The 5th corner hotel again next time you are in town.
Best regards, Aleksey Karpov

Reviewed September 2, 2010

I would certainly stay at this hotel again. The beds were very comfortable. The rooms had high ceilings and big windows. The staff spoke great English and were very helpful. It seemed as if the hotel was geared towards attracting western guests. It is a little bit of a walk to get to the main tourist sites, but the metro is not too far away. The internet is a little shaky, but at least it's free. The complimentary buffet style breakfast in the restaurant downstairs is also very good.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank CBus2Prague

Dear Guest!
Thank you very much for such a positive review. It was our pleasure to have you staying with us and I so glad that you enjoyed the room facilities and your breakfast in our trendy restaurant Xren. I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel next time you are in St. Petersburg.

Reviewed August 2, 2010

I chose this hotel because of its competitive price among the hotels in St Petersburg. The hotel is located about 5 minutes from Vladimirskaya tube station and 15 minutes from Nevsky Prospekt.
The hotel provides visa support for a fee of 20 Euros.
The hotel itself is easy to find, however it shares the entrance with the restaurant.
I stayed in the room on the top floor, which was a bit inconvenient as the hotel has no lift after city sightseeing all day. The ceiling of the room was too low, I had to be careful while I was getting up from bed.
The rooms are very spacious with LCD TV, large bathroom with walk in shower ( no bath) and hairdryer. The hotel provides a free buffet breakfast included in the room price.
I would recommend it to anyone with limited budget who is looking for a hotel in good location.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank Michalfalcon
Reviewed July 31, 2010

Actually it's the 1st time when my review does not coincide with hotel's overall good ratings:
1) as someone mentioned NO ELEVATOR, we arrived really late, at midnight; there is a writing in front of entrance saying if you need help, press the button and we will help you. Of course that's a lie and never happened, as the carrier guy leaves the job at 5.30 p.m., so if you arrive after this time be prepared to take ur luggage 2-3 floors by yourself
2) we were not given the room we ordered; they said they don't have extra bed we reserved; so they put some of us in a suite room, and the others in the room we asked. they were lucky to have that room avaiable otherwise they would try to accomodate us to another hotel at higher prices which was observed by (see below).
3) the Comfort room tye we ordered in reality looks much smaller than on their website. so for 3 of us it was a very small room which is probably designed for more than 2 persons, as when the air conditioner turned off, we felt bad. when I asked the lady at hotel that your photo on a website is different to a reality, she said "all hotels do it", I was like "lie?", she said "there are only 2 comfort rooms that look like on a website, others are smaller". so be careful.
4) there is certainly organisation issues. only one receptionist that works 24 hours; thus there is always a queue for any question. apparently receptionist is responsible for other things and her desk is full of accounting folders, papers,etc. in none of the days we met administrator or sth. so one girl will be in charge for resolving everyting you might need and you would have to stand in a queue.
5) last but not least - when we were leaving, there was another lady checking in, there wasn't a room for her though she reserved it, so they were trying to accomodate her to another hotel at a higher price. that lady was pissed off.
so were we. will never go there again. the hotel looks like an upgraded hostel, have NO idea how they came up with positioning themselves as a business hotel.
the only thing I liked is their restaurant which is nice and saves a it reputaiton for this terrible hotel.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with friends
5CornerHotel_manager, Director of Sales at 5th Corner Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 10, 2010

Dear guest! We're surprised by such a negative review. Thank you for showing us our
mistakes, we've got the problems straightened out.
Unfortunately we don't have the elevator, that's why we are always asking
our guest to inform us about late or early check-in (early check-in is free of charge, subject to availability), so we could help with the luggage.
Concerning photos of our rooms, everybody can see not only the professional pictures on tripadvisor or on our web site but also the pictures made by our guest. We do not lie, and our guests confirm this. All visitors, except you, of course )) For us it's a big surprise that that you have found a differnece between the pictures and the reality.
The situation when the hotel is fullbooked and we have to send our guest to another hotel happened very rare, but if so the guest always pays the price which was confirmed by us even if the price at another hotel is higher, and we always make the free transfer to the another hotel.

Anyway, we invite you to visit our hotel again and i'm sure that you'll change your opinion.
Whenever you'll deside to come back to St.Petersburg, please, contact me
personally and i'll give you the best rate for accommodation at our Hotel in very center of the city!

Reviewed July 15, 2010

On the plus side this is a modern and friendly hotel, reasonably well located (though it is a 30 min walk, or a 5 min trolleybus ride to the main sights). The breakfast buffet is plentiful and served until a leisurely 10.30am. On the other hand, our room was becoming a bit worn at the edges - cracked mirror, leaking toilet and lack of hot water. There were also regular power cuts particularly in the evenings. These snags need to be fixed before I could wholeheartedly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank AvocetLondon
5CornerHotel_manager, Director of Sales at 5th Corner Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 17, 2010

Dear Guest, thank you for sharing your experience according to your recent stay in 5th corner hotel. We are really upset that some things were not perfect. Electricity power cuts were caused not by hotel, but by city problems. Your comment is accepted and these moments has been already fixed. We are sure that after your next visit you can recommend 5th corner hotel to your friends! Best regards, Aleksey Karpov 5th corner hotel

Reviewed July 13, 2010

The hotel is very well located, just a block from the metro station and a couple of very long blocks from Nevsky Prospekt. The hotel is very modern. Our room was incredibly comfortable, really huge with lots of space to move around. It really looked like a room in a luxury hotel. It has a minibar and safe to store your valuables.The bathroom is very modern too. It was a shower, hair dryer and towel warmer.
However, there are a couple of issues to consider. First, there's no elevator so you have to carry your luggage up a couple of floors to the lobby and then to your room. Of course they have someone available to help you with that if you ask. The second issue was that on our first day we had issues with the hot water in the shower. The first time they fixed it promplty and the second they told us it had been a problem for all the hotel so I don't know if it was their fault or the city's but after that we didn't have any more problems. I don't know if it's a recurring issue or not but since it happened to us I just thought I mentioned it.
The breakfast buffet is very good. The lady at the reception is super kind and will help you with directions or anything you need. She speaks very good English and Spanish. Computers with Internet access are available for an extra cost.
If you don't mind the lack of elevator this hotel is a great choice. We really enjoyed our stay here because the room was so nice, I highly recommend it because the rooms are really excellent.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple