“Memorable Stay at the Taleon” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Taleon Imperial Hotel

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Taleon Imperial Hotel
Ranked #31 of 331 Hotels in St. Petersburg
Moscow, Russia
“Memorable Stay at the Taleon”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2013

I stayed in this lovely hotel with my princess, two separate times within a month. One of those times happened to be my birthday. We were on business but this didn't keep us from enjoying this lovely hotel and the most beautiful city in Russia.

We had different rooms in our two stays with one of them being real huge, apartment like, with two floors. It seemed as if this room was from a different generation to be honest but still as it was only for one night, we tried to make the best of it. The second room we stayed in was more like a hotel room. It was also very big in Hotel standards with a separate living room, bed room and very nice bathroom made out of marble.

It seems as if this hotel is huge in size and also it seems as if it is of a different lifetime. I don't know for sure how old it is but it must be very old, which makes it so historic. It is very impressive how well maintained this hotel is and how well it manages to combine the new with the old and as a result not losing it's attractiveness.

I have not eaten anything in the hotel so I can't review the food but in terms of location, service, and architectural and sculptural beauty this hotel is top notch.

When spending your day to day life in a crazy and demanding city as Moscow, the beauty and calmness of St. Petersburg is just like prescribed medicine for the body and soul. In this case, the Taleon Imperial seems like the perfect choice or doctor.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Guy3103
Victoria K, General Manager at Taleon Imperial Hotel, responded to this review, September 25, 2013
Dear Guest!
I would like to thank you for your generous review.There is no need to say how happy I am to receive such a positive feedback as yours. I am really pleased that you appreciated the hotel maintenance, its unique style, location and provided service. I am glad that you noticed the combination of majestic style of the hotel and modern equipment. I will proudly share your kind comments with my team. We certainly look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit in St.Petersburg!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
  • Korean first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
  • Vietnamese first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

Beautiful hotel and very attentive service. We felt like we were in a private club rather than a public hotel. Met at the airport by a driver We were upgraded to a suite upon arrival. The public areas are beautiful. This is a true palace. Excellent food, excellent location. Worth the cost. This was our 40th anniversary trip.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Victoria K, General Manager at Taleon Imperial Hotel, responded to this review, September 27, 2013
Dear Guest!
Thank you very much for your generous revew. No need to say how happy I was to share your great comments with my team.
I am really pleased you enjoyed your stay,the hotel's location,its public areas and, which is most important,the level of service.Your praising the hotel is very important for those travellers who have to make the choice and visit our unique city.
We certainly are looking forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to St.Petersburg!
Warm regards,
Victoria K.
Los Angeles
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2013

The hotel can boast about having one of the best locations in the city. The building itself is magnificent and the rooms are nicely appointed. However, the hotel management needs to teach their employees how to treat their guests. On our 1st night we asked the concierge for a recommendation for a restaurant that serves typical Russian cuisine that would be frequented by locals. She sent us to a restaurant called Russia Vodka Room No 1, which is perfect for large tour busses filled with tourists.
Although the breakfast buffet had a great selection of food, the staff could barely crack a smile.
One evening we wanted some change so we could take a bus to our destination. The front desk told me they could not change a small ruble bill and directed me to the bar to try, which also refused my request.
Room service for breakfast on the day of our early morning checkout never arrived, even though I handed the request to the front desk the prior evening to make sure they would deliver it on time.
We had the opportunity to walk into the newly opened Four Seasons Hotel a few blocks away and quickly saw how a well trained staff treats their guests. Although the Taleon can certainly compete based on its facilities, unless they give their service area a serious look I think they are going to lose out to the competition.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank ZZZZ10
Victoria K, General Manager at Taleon Imperial Hotel, responded to this review, August 13, 2013
Dear Guest!
I would like to thank you for the sincere feed-back.I am really pleased you enjoyed the hotel location, your room and hotel's facilities. It is indeed a pity that negative impression has occured during your stay due to level of service.I would like to reassure you that we are constantly working hard on keeping our service level up to the high standarts and all possible measures were taken to prevent any similar cases in future. We have initiated the series of service trainings for our employees to motivate them to be more sympathetic and more enthusiastic about guest's needs and wishes.
I would like to apologize for any inconvenience occured during your stay and to invite you to our hotel in order to show how service improved and personnel became more friendly.Me and my team will be happy welcoming you back in St.Petersburg and make your stay pleasant.
Los Angeles, California area
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here on our first visit to St Petersburg at the end of the White Nights season. It was a perfect place, great concierge who hooked us up with Irene, a wonderful guide. We booked through Amex Travel and were upgraded to a suite on the 3rd floor. The staff all speak great English and the restaurants were good too. We never made it to their fine dining restaurant, next time.
It's a renovated palace on Nevsky Prospekt (road) and the Moika Canal. Across the street is the passageway to the Winter Palace-Hermitage complex. We walked to the Mariinsky theatre, the Kazan Church and St Issac's Church. We did take a taxi on night to the Ballet.

My only complaint is the bed wasn't up to my soft westerner's taste. All the beds we had in Russia were too firm. We would stay here again!
We also decided that booking seats at the theaters online was better than through a ticket agency, unless there are no seats avaliable online.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank vinatarta
Victoria K, General Manager at Taleon Imperial Hotel, responded to this review, August 7, 2013
Dear Guest!
Thank you very much for your time sharing your experience of Taleon Imperial Hotel.No need to say how pleased I am to read such warm feedback. I am happy to know that you have enjoyed your stay as well as our service.I will proudly share your kind comments with my team, so they are aware of their contributionin helping to satisfy you and meet your expectations.We certainly look forward to welcome you back and I assure that during your next visit the hotel beds will be as soft as at your home.
New York City, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2013

The Taleon is at a historic location in St. Petersburg where Rastrelli once built a wild wooden palace for one of the countless empresses this city has indulged over the centuries. The current ediface housed a wealthy merchant's family and a staff of hundreds, all of whom you can see in the original walnut library in black and white photographs that reminded me of Kubrick's The Shining. These people called their home a palace, and infected it with the most out of control gilding, marble-cladding and gaudy ornamentation known to man, surpassed only by Saudi interiors, the Summer Palace in nearby Pushkin and the decor of Latin American drug lords. The current owners have added another addition to the palace but without the benefit of an architect, because the place is a maze. There are three sets of elevators, some of which go to certain floors but not others, and not one of which serves the entire hotel.
When we arrived, we had booked in a superior room. The room they took us didn't resemble the superior rooms on the web site. It was on the top floor overlooking the Moika, one of the city's many canals and rivers. However, there was a granite wall 7/8ths of the way up all of the windows in the room, and, the room was only as wide as the two twin beds shoved together to make a "king" bed, plus 2 side tables. We told them we wanted a normal room with normal windows, and they showed us three. Instead of calling these rooms, they insisted they were "luxury studios," and insisted they would require a $1,282 per night upgrade. I'm ashamed to say we were too tired from travel to other cities to argue or find another hotel.
If that had been all that was wrong, perhaps we would have counted ourselves absurd and spoiled and left it that.
Yet the stay was marked by many odd happenstances. First of all, wherever you went in the hotel--the bar, the lobby, the restaurant, the "world class" hair salon--it was eerily empty. Only at the breakfast on the 6th floor could other humans be found, and they all looked mildly depressed and enervated.
Ordering or asking for anything was a highly amusing gambit. A large pot of coffee brought a small pot. A bottle of wine brought a half bottle of wine. The concierge recommended a restaurant that was empty at the top of a deserted shopping mall. The bartender ridiculed us when we asked for ice with our vodka.
I don't think I've ever said this in a review, but here it comes: Avoid this hotel at all costs.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
13 Thank NYtravelbird5912
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2013 via mobile

Great location, decent breakfast at a lovely rooftop restaurant, but the service personnel were not helpful and spoke minimal English. Rooms were sometimes made up early, sometimes not, sometimes turned down at night, sometimes not. We were upgraded twice, so I can't say what a standard room would have been like. Very I attractive furnishings, but great bathroom. Wouldn't recommend it.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Bunny K
Victoria K, General Manager at Taleon Imperial Hotel, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
Dear Guest!
We appreciate your choice of the Taleon Imperial Hotel for the accomodation and would like to thank you for the sincere feed- back. It is indeed a pleasure to know that you have enjoyed the Hotels location and room s interior.Though it is indeed a pity that negative impression has occured during your stay.I feel really sorry that you were disappointed with the service provided and found our staff not helpfull enough. I assure you that we are working hard on keeping our service level up to the high standarts of LHW and all possible measures were taken to prevent such attitude in the future.We have initiated the series of service trainings for our employees to motivate them to be more sympathetic and more enthusiastic about guests needs and wishes.
I would like to apologize for any inconvinience occured during your stay and let me take a liberty to invite you to our hotel in order to turn the impression to positive one. Me and my team will be happy welcoming you back in St.Petersburg and make your stay pleasant.
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2013

The name doesn't ring any bell. It is amazing replica of palace like hotel. Rooms are spacious we got room 205 which was just superb overlooking the river. Service is just superb. The spa and swimming pool are really nice on the top floor. Breakfast in. Victoria Resturant is just amazing view. The hotel is just out of the hotel . The paintings in the room are amazing. One of the best hotels in Europe comparable to ritz London. Good job Taleon and leading hotels.

Room Tip: Rooms on lower floor are excellent. Any rooms facing river are excellent.