“Great food in an historic hotel”
Review of Astoria Restaurant

Astoria Restaurant
Ranked #289 of 10,704 Restaurants in St. Petersburg
Cuisines: Russian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Admiralteisky
Description: The new restaurant opened at Hotel Astoria in April in cooperation with prominent Chef and restaurateur Aram Mnatsakanov. Astoria Restaurantis a landmark Russian restaurant with Russian modern cuisine: fresh, light, trendy recipes even for the classic dishes. Astoria Restaurant is the place for fine dining in comfortable luxury. Guests are welcome to try an exquisite menu of Imperial Russian cuisine from Executive chef Ian Minnis. Business Lunch From Monday to Friday we do serve Business Lunch from noon to 3:00 pm. The guests can choose between a two or three course menu, starting at 550 RUB per person. Beyond we do also serve dishes from our á la carte menu with 20% discount. The restaurant is open daily from 7.00 am to midnight, breakfast is served from 7.00 am to 10.30 am (on weekends until 11.00 am)
Reviewed September 12, 2013

We chose to eat in the Astoria Cafe on our first evening in St. Petersburg - primarily as my Parents were staying at the hotel so was convenient. I changed the time of the booking back 30 mins and this was dealt with by the restaurant manager without any problem at all.

The restaurant is a large room overlooking St. Isaacs Cathedral. Although it is part of the Astoria, it is tucked out to one side of the hotel so any noise from the hotel reception area is minimal. You get the sense and can imagine what the room used to be like a few years ago as there are a few clues to the 'art deco' style still around. I would say that I think that Forte have probably over done it a bit and perhaps taken too much of the character of the room and building away, but it is still a nice, light and comfortable room.

The service was efficient and the staff were polite, all spoke good English and were all good humoured and fun. Between us, we sampled the Olivier Salad with Crab (very good - could have done with a bit more crab), the braised rabbit (very good), the stroganoff (very good) and the Coulibiac which was a shallow fish pie (excellent). The pavlova was recommended for dessert and was very good.

So in summary, good food and good service in a historic hotel. We were pleased with our choice for our first evening and I'd recommend paying a visit to the Astoria - even if just to have a look at the name plaques by the lift doors or even better to have afternoon tea and cakes in the Rotunda Lounge (all very delicious!),

Gerold H, Генеральный директор at Astoria Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded January 22, 2014

Dear guest, thank you very much for your kind words about Astoria Cafe on www.tripadvisor.ru.

I was very happy to hear you have enjoyed your dining experience in Astoria Cafe. I will defenately share with my team your kind comments.

We hope to see you again and thank you for recommending us! This year we have a lot of new offers for our guests.

Kind regards,

Reviewed September 3, 2013

Excellent service, good drinks and tasty food, with a two piece band playing soft music gave dinner a romantic aspect. Drinks strong and good. All staff speak excellent English, and there is an English menu. Meals are not too elaborate, with portions on the slightly small side. Pavlova dessert was excellent.

Gerold H, Генеральный директор at Astoria Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded May 15, 2014

Dear guest, thank you very much for the kind review you've shared with us!

We are very glad that you enjoed your dinner with us, it is a pleasure for us to know that you liked our signature "Anna Pavlova" dessert, we look forward to offer you something new. I will share your comments with team of Astoria Cafe, I know that it will inspire them!

Thank you again and hope to see you soon in Astoria Cafe!

Reviewed July 29, 2013

We went to this place because other cheaper places were packed due to post navy day. But we didnt regret it!!!! The staffs were friendly and when we triedvthe food, you could tell the chef was serious in what he's doing! Dessert was the best part! We had Anna pavlova, medovky and chocolate cake, all of them are soooo goooodddd!!!!

Dear guest, thank you for choosing Astoria Cafe and also leaving your comments on www.tripadvisor.ru

I was very happy to read that you loved your dinning experience in Astoria Cafe, it is very motivating for us to go the extra mile to make you happy.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Reviewed July 28, 2013 via mobile

We order pelmeni,russian burger,stroganoff and soup. All are excellent. The service is great. waiter is very helpful. No question about the ambience, very classy with great oldie song. Price....well thats what you have to pay for quality.

Gerold H, Администратор at Astoria Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded June 10, 2014

Dear guest, thank you very much for your kind review regarding Astoria Cafe!

We are very happy that you loved your dinner at Astoria Cafe, we are looking forward to see you soon and offer you our new menu!

Astoria Cafe

Reviewed February 23, 2013

Having read a lot about Imperial Russia I was well aware of the Hotel Astoria and the role its famous restaurant, the Winter Garden, had played in pre-revolutionary St Petersburg society. Unfortunately, staying at this hotel, which has survived the 1917 Bolshevik revolution, two world wars and the collapse of the Soviet Union was well out of my budget but I noticed in my copy of “St Petersburg In Your Pocket” that the hotel’s restaurant ‘Davidov’ was offering an “international gourmet standard” three-course business lunch for only 600 rubles.

So, following in the footsteps of such distinguished characters as Rasputin, HG Wells, Margaret Thatcher, Tony Bliar, George Bush, Jacques Chirac, Vladimir Putin, Madonna, Elton John, Jack Nicholson, Luciano Pavarotti, Pierre Cardin, Jean-Paul Gaultier, Prince Charles and Prince Michael of Kent, I decided to have lunch at the Hotel Astoria.

On arrival I was pleasantly surprised to discover I wouldn’t be dining in the Davidov restaurant at all but in the famous Winter Garden itself [which the hotel has re-opened as part of its 100th Anniversary celebrations]. The Winter Garden reeks of history and the young, friendly and immaculately turned-out waitresses were more than happy to discuss the history of the hotel and its restaurant while they served us - a nice touch. The food was every bit as good as you would expect in a hotel of this standard and the atmosphere was welcoming and relaxed and not at all stuffy.

This must be the best value meal I have ever had, served in surroundings which would normally be well out of my league. Definitely one of the highlights of my trip to St Petersburg. Hopefully, one day, I'll be able to afford to stay here.

Gerold H, Администратор at Astoria Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded July 8, 2014

Dear guest, thank you very much for your review.

We are very happy to read that you had great experience in our restaurant. We hope next time we will welcome you as a guest of Hotel Astoria.

You are always welcome!