“No wonder it's so popular”
Review of Umao

Umao
Ranked #117 of 11,028 Restaurants in St. Petersburg
Cuisines: Asian, Chinese
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: Admiralteisky
Reviewed September 2, 2013

For a place that opened only in December 2012 and seats only about 20, it does a great business, and now I know why. I arrived at 2 pm on a Monday. Seven young upwardly mobile Russians at the biggest table, plus various individuals and pairs came in and out. It's an Asian fusion kind of place, and the Tom Yam soup was absolutely on target! Leona, the server in blond dreadlocks and a colorful tattoo on her right calf and loads of personality, told me "but it's spicy." Ordered it anyway and glad I did. Also had their pork and veggie dumplings with three dipping sauces, and the teriyaki chicken fried rice. Credit for having larger than usual chunks of chicken, but the danger is that they lose their tenderness, and I also suggested adding just a touch of green onion -- which Julia, the owner, seemed to take seriously. Even the ambiance is nice, with jazz and other classic tunes in the background. At this writing, Umao is #11, and it deserves every bit of that rating.

Reviewed August 24, 2013

So I went back to Umao with my wife and again we loved it - the steamed dumplings, the Tom Yum soup, and an exquisite little vegetable dish - great stuff, and great value for what you get compared to other restaurants in the city.

The hostess was very friendly and spoke English (which was great for us) and they had English menus also.

Cant wait to go back to St Petersburg just for the dumplings!

Reviewed July 23, 2013

We visited twice once at lunchtime for coffee waffles and icecream and a banana spring roll equivalent. Simple but was sheer quality. Place was packed and I would book if possible. For the evening visit we had delightful salads and spring rolls and Asian mains. This place deserves its high reputatation. The food is freshly cooked by a chef who is clearly at the top of their game.

Reviewed July 4, 2013

Took family to a delightful lunch before our Segway tour, which conveniently was right next door to the restaurant! Dishes were lovely, we had most of the dim sum menu and a noodle and rice dish. Ambience was friendly, the waitress was very friendly and kind and music was great. A very nice experience I highly recommend it.

Reviewed July 3, 2013

Tiny place but with big potential to be best on its category. Food is simple but delicious, dim sum which are the speciality of the house are just GREAT. Design is really fitting into the concept. Good service. A must visit place. Really affordable prices which is unusual in in that area of the city.

2  Thank P T