“This is the best restaurant we have come across in 9 countries over 6 weeks.”

Yat Restaurant-Buffet
Ranked #31 of 10,704 Restaurants in St. Petersburg
Cuisines: Russian
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Private Dining, Reservations
Description: We are delighted to welcome you to our traditional Russian cuisine restaurant Yat! The restaurant Yat is an endowment to the cultural character of St. Petersburg. Our menu presents Russian traditional dishes cooked according to the old recipes of different Russian regions (from Siberia to Rostov and Arkhangelsk region). We offer you to try Pelmeni or Vareniki (Russian dumplings), homemade cutlets, Russian “herring under fur coat” salad (known as Shuba or Seledka Pod Shuboi), Borsch and Schi-soup as well as a fresh bakery and desserts. A wide variety of drinks including local Russian and Georgian wines, Old World and New World wines, are offered to guests along with home-made “mors” (fruit and berries juice) and in-house homemade alcoholic tinctures. Live classical music and jazz are played at Yat on Fridays and Saturdays during the evening. Children can enjoy their time at Yat in a separate room with big soft pillows and toys as well as an area with a fluffy rabbits.
Reviewed July 12, 2013

Fantastic food and really cheap. The duck was superb and the friendly helpful staff were wonderful. My husband had the fish and it was beautifully cooked. Even the little girl bringing in her pet rabbit to meet us added a warm feeling.

Reviewed July 9, 2013

I wasn't expecting much when I went to Yat, as hitherto the Russian cuisine I'd experienced was often a bit like school dinners in both presentation and taste. Yat changed my view. The surroundings are lovely - rustic in the heart of the city. Atlhough in a basement, it feels light, airy and is spotlessly clean. The menu is good and has interesting choices for those who might want to be a bit more adventurous. We had mushroom blinis and they came beautifully presented (not just plonked on a plate) and were absolutely delicious. We tried the Russian beer, which was also good. We were on a tight schedule, so didn't have time for a pudding. The only thing I didn't like was passing a rodent cage on the way to the (spotless and stylish) bathroom. When I emerged there were about 3 rabbits running about. I suppose it's fun for kids, but I don't really like animals in restaurants, personally. Nevertheless, I would definitely re-visit if I'm ever in St Petersburg again. Highly recommended.

1  Thank redfrock
Reviewed July 6, 2013

We stayed in St. Pete's for five days and passed by the Yat several times before we decided to try it on our last night. So glad we did as the experience was delightful! Food is Russian cuisine and we started with a basket of hot breads. You could tell they were freshly baked! We had the stroganoff and something delicious made with chicken and veal that I don't recall the name. I also had a mushroom soup with three different kinds of mushrooms, sour cream and fresh dill. All wonderful! I had earlier picked up a postcard when I entered the front door and as I was waiting for dessert, found that the card said I could ask for a free shot of home-made vodka "in exchange for this postcard." They meant it and the vodka was great! Highly recommend this place for a quiet end to the day. Very homey and inviting as others have said.

2  Thank 1nnocentsabroad
Reviewed June 9, 2013

It is hard to find because is not labeled in English. On the Moyska Canal, you walk down into a series of small farmhouse type dining rooms that makes you feel you are in someone's home. The salmon whitefish pelemini was very good and 2 in my party had the stroganoff that was more like a paprikash, very meaty. Cold borscht was gazpacho-like and sprinkled with thin noodles and greens. Try the orange flavored sea berry vodka -- a nice pairing for all and home-made, I think. They also have an on-premises bakery with intoxicating smells. The cutest part was an old cryllic typewriter in one tiny wooden bathroom stall and the copper pan sinks to wash up.

Reviewed June 8, 2013 via mobile

Judged "adorable" by my wife and my colleagues. Near Hermitage and relatively easy to find. Great home made Vodka infusions. We all liked "sea berry". Pellini( beef And Salmon...I hope i got the spelling right for these little raviolis) borscht, stroganoff, pastries all were great. Staff was friendly and helpful. We are falling in love with these little family restaurants in St Pete.