Four Seasons Hotel Lion Palace St. Petersburg
Ranked #3 of 359 Hotels in St. Petersburg
Reviewed October 20, 2013

I just returned from spending 3 nights here. I was traveling solo with very limited Russian so I wanted a hotel where I knew I would be well taken care of and the Four Seasons was a great choice. The hotel has excellent location and is simply stunning. The service was as excellent as you come to expect when staying at a Four Seasons property. I was greeted by name every time I entered or left the hotel or ate in one of the restaurants. The food was high quality. The amber room in the Italian restaurant should not be missed. The hotel was not yet fully operational, I was told the grand opening is a few weeks away. So I did hear a bit of noise as finishing touches were underway on the top floor, but it did not bother me at all.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank SeattleSharon

Reviewed October 10, 2013

brand new hotel in very convenient location. The Spa and the fitness room are not open yet, as well as some restaurants . Very helpful and friendly staff, Great value for the money "now" (prices are probably due to increase as works proceed towards completion....)

Room Tip: ask for a room with a view on the church or the park
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 8, 2013

This is a beautiful hotel inside of a former Duke's palace. The location--next to St. Isaac's Cathedral--is ideal for exploring the best sights in the city. The Hermitage is less than a 10 minute walk away. As usual for Four Seasons, the service is excellent, the food served in the restaurants is superb and the rooms are beautifully appointed. Although expensive, it's worth it.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Ohad J
Reviewed October 7, 2013

Exceptionally beautiful hotel in the historic center of St. Petersburg. From the moment I stepped off the plane a well groomed impressive hotel representative was waiting for me. She snapped a photo of my passport with her iPad so the front desk had my paperwork ready when I arrived. They helped with the required visa before my arrival and were totally professional. The hotel has a couple BMW 650's to drive you from the airport to the hotel. I call it the oligarch treatment.

Everything was brand new and really stunning. Architectural details of the old palace were restored and the rooms were luxuriously appointed. I loved the fresh flowers that the nice Italian guy arranges in the lobby. They really treat you well there. I let the staff know that I was on a plant based diet and they went to great lengths to accommodate my dietary needs.

However highlight for me was the Spa attendant. A lovely ballerina who provided me with gym cloths and sneakers before teaching me to stretch properly.

I stayed a week which gave me time to get to know the staff and the lay of the city. It was really nice to come home to the Four Seasons Hotel Lion Palace after a long day of walking around St. Petersburg.

Only negative is that they allow smoking in the hotel which was a turn off. Otherwise the place was perfect. I would highly recommend this hotel and will stay again the next time I visit St. Petersburg.

Room Tip: Get a room that faces the church across the street. Surreal view.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed October 7, 2013

Stunning renovation of an old palatial apartment building, something like 8 years in the making.
Has to be the most beautiful in the chain. Legendary Four Seasons service from the staff, notwithstanding some mistakes by the beginners among them (which were seen to immediately by management). Imperial style decor with gilded ceilings and marble floors in the lobby. Beautiful atrium restaurant was open, though the others were not. Large, luxurious baths, unparalleled elegance throughout. Perfect location next to St. Isaac's Cathedral and a short stroll to the Hermitage and the Yusupov Palace. We dined twice at Strogonoff's nearby.

Room Tip: Rooms in the old building (floors 1-3) are larger.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 7, 2013

This is one of the most beautiful hotels we have visited. The service is considerate, swift, professional,and friendly. The staff are fluent in many languages. The location is excellent for touring. The restoration of the palace is a tribute to the history of St Petersburg and to the Four Seasons. The new Italian restaurant design is stunning. The food and service providing a first class experience.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Wingham2013
Reviewed September 28, 2013

My daughter and I enjoyed a wonderful stay at the new Four Seasons Lion Palace! The location is fabulous, so close to the Winter Palace, Bronze horseman and St Issac's Cathedral.

We were visiting during the 'soft opening' so not everything in the hotel was ready yet, such as spa and restaurants. However what was were was of the usual Four Seasons high standards.

Special treats in our room on our arrival really personalised our stay, as did the efforts of all the staff to greet us by our names! The front door staff were always so welcoming.

We enjoyed two dinners in the Tea Lounge restaurant, the food was exquisite and the service was very good. We also went to the bar, however we were disappointed to find out that there was no separate non-smoking area.

We arranged with the hotel for one of their cars to pick us up and return us to the airport. We would highly recommend this! Dimitri our driver was a delight, telling us all about St Petersburg upon our arrival.

We enjoyed our stay immensely, the only drawbacks we found were that the concierge staff were not at a similar level to previous Four Seasons hotels we have stayed at and that the room service was rather tardy, taking almost 30mins to deliver a bucket of ice.

Overall we enjoyed a wonderful stay at Four Seasons Lion Palace St Petersburg and would definitely recommend it to others!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family