Review Highlights
Incredibly Detailed and Knowledgeable

If you want in depth and knowledgeable historical detail, Alexander is the guide for you. He goes... read more

Reviewed 3 weeks ago
fran_oisp150
The Gold Standard

Reviewed December 27, 2019
infoexpertx
Rotterdam, The Netherlands
via mobile

All reviews siege tour world war ii his passion his knowledge military history battle sites fantastic tour modern history the great patriotic war day tour summer palace personal tour catherine palace an excellent guide private guide visiting st neva river
Selected filters
Reviewed December 27, 2019 via mobile

If every guide was as good as Alex I would be very happy. The tour suited me as a military history buff and my family who knew very little. Very good use of photos maps and videos as we went from place to place. Great explanations and a good route. A very nice driver who was increadibly helpful at every stop from 8.30 in the morning to 6.30 at night. My only disappointment as we did the Siege tour is I did not have time to do other tours Alex offers. He is the best.

Date of experience: December 2019
Reviewed December 1, 2019

We enjoyed two fantastic day tours with Alexander. The first the Seige of Leningrad, where Alexander immersed us in the seige in 1941 and 1942 during WW2 with our tour along 'The Road of Life,' as you leave St.Petersburg up to Lake Lagoda and out to the Nevsky bridgehead where he brought the battle to life with an examination of trenches and crossings and then on to the museum at Kirovsk. This tour is a must for enthusiasts of this period of history and anyone who wants to learn more. Our second tour was to Catherine Palace at Pushkin, home of the Tsars, where Alexander provided a fascinating tour of the palace and its history. He was very knowledgeable and friendly and supplemented both tours with some amazing photographs on his ipad taken at the time.

Date of experience: November 2019
Reviewed October 9, 2019

We booked Alexander for 2 days whilst our cruise ship was in St Peterburg. I fully agree with all the comments on the Seige of Leningrad tour which was our first day. Day 2 was Peterhof Palace and gardens and Catherine Palace.

I will concentrate on comments for cruise passengers. I heard many other passengers complaining about their cruise company booked excursions - day too long, too much walking and so on. The only passengers I heard who were not complaining was another couple, who like us, had a private tour with guide and driver.

The difference in using Alexander was start time - cruise tours went off at 7am, we started 8.30 for the Seige tour and 9 for day 2. They arrived back weary at 7pm. We were back 6 day 1 and 4.30 day 2. We missed the crowds at all venues on day 2. Alexander also had tickets at Peterhof that took us to see the grotto behind the fountains and I have the most fantastic pictures of the fountains that would not have been possible on a large tour.

The cruise tours started early to include a stop at souvenir shops. I did ask Alexander to take us to a shop to buy a set of Russian dolls for my daughter, but that was my request not forced upon us.

If we return to St Petersburg I will book Alexander again soon in and I would strongly recommend Histours to cruise passengers.

Thank you Alexander for 2 fabulous days in St Petersburg

Date of experience: September 2019
1  Thank Jean N
Reviewed August 12, 2019

We spent an evening and one full-day Siege tour with Alexander seeing the city of St. Petersburg (and in some ways transporting us back to Leningrad and and Petrograd) and the history of the 1917 revolution, its aftermath, World War II, the siege of Leningrad, and incredible story of how the people and the Red Army came together to finally break the Nazi encirclement.

Yes, there are some truly lovely palaces and churches in St. Petersburg but you are only scratching the surface if this is all you focus on during your stay. This is a city where monumental events--both profoundly tragic and deeply inspiring-- have taken place over the past century. You can literally walk in the footsteps of modern history here, including trenches still scattered with unearthed gas masks and bullets.

Alexander combines an honestly encyclopedic knowledge of the events in incredible detail with fascinating individual stories that bring the past to life. Military history and political history are clearly his passion in life and he is really the perfect person to be giving these tours. My wife and I (both history teachers) got more out of an hour and a half dash through the Political History Museum with him than we would have in an entire day there by ourselves.

If you are a history buff or want to go beyond the surface, you have to book some tour with Alexander while in town. In retrospect, we would have hired him as a guide for all four of our days in St. Petersburg but, alas, we earn teachers' salaries and this man is--with very good reason-- in very high demand during tourist season.

Date of experience: August 2019
Reviewed August 5, 2019

When you come to Saint Petersburg, there are many heritage sites to visit. But, don't pass on the opportunity to visit the Patriotic War memorials with Leningrad Battlefield Tours. My wife and I had a great tour with our expert guide, Alexander. We were moved by the many sacrifices the defenders of the city made against the fascist invaders from 1941-44. Alexander is an expert military historian who speaks great english and really helped us to appreciate the significance of the siege and the way the city was kept alive across ladoga like by the many heroes of the Soviet Union during the war.

In particular, we were amazed by the number of artifacts from the German and Russian Soldiers left behind in vicinity of the Nevsky Bridgehead, along the Neva River, the scene of such heavy fighting between the German XXVIII Army Corps and the Russian 67th Army in 1942. He also showed us the Shlisselburg Fortress, which Peter the Great captured in 1702 and where Lenin's brother, Aleksandr Ulyanov, was executed.

Whether you are an expert in military history or have just a general interest in modern history, if you travel to Saint Petersburg, don't miss out on the opportunity to take this tour with Alexander. You won't regret it.

Date of experience: July 2019