“Fresh products and tasty food”
Review of Beluga - CLOSED

Beluga
Cuisines: French, Italian, Russian, Seafood, Bar
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions, Bar scene, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Vasilyevsky Island
Tel Aviv
“Fresh products and tasty food”
Reviewed June 19, 2013

After being disappointed from what I ate in other places, Beluga was a great surprise. The atmosphere is very nice, as others wrote. But most important for me and my friends were the fresh products and the tasty meals we had there. The menu is variable and includes foods to mach many tastes and preferences. Downsides: not all prices appear on the menu. We were surprised to be charged $10 for a 1 liter bottle of mineral water. Also prices of wines by the glass are not indicated and may turn out to be higher than expected, so make sure to ask what is the price of everything offered by the waiter which is not indicated on the menu. The place is hardly noticeable from the street (as is the case for many businesses in St. Petersbourg). The name is written in Russian.

• Visited June 2013

“Disappointed”
Reviewed April 13, 2013

This restaurant was recommended to us by our hotel which is nearby. We knew beforehand it was going to be relatively expensive (about 1500R per person). The restaurant is situated by the river and has a cosy, rustic, old world atmosphere inside. We were glad to be provided with an English menu including a mixture of Italian, French and Russian dishes (but with minimal description).

After this the problems started. After ordering our drinks we were informed that the restaurant does not take credit cards and the waitress could not tell me where an ATM was so I had to go searching blindly while my partner waited. After returning with money 15 minutes later I ordered soup followed by ribeye steak - cooked rare. The soup arrived without a spoon. When a spoon was requested I received a large tablespoon!?

I was barely a third of the way through my soup when my steak arrived. I subsequently discovered that my steak (1150R) was cooked well done instead of rare. As we were not asked how our meals were going I had to take the steak to the manager and ask for another steak to be cooked as requested. Gladly, this was done with an apology and the next steak arrived cooked rare. At no point were we asked whether we wanted more drinks or whether the food was OK. When we were presented with the bill I told the waitress that we were disappointed with our experience. She didn't understand that main courses should not be brought out while customers have only just started their soup course. She also said her manager did not speak English and could not speak to us. I had to work up quite a steam before she agreed to deduct the 10% service charge from the bill. The final cost was 3200R for one soup, one salad, one steak, one juice, a bottle of water and two glasses of wine. The change was shoved into my hand rudely.

Overall I expect much higher standards from a restaurant in this price range and would not recommend going here.

• Visited April 2013
Moscow, Russia
“Quite & Cozy Place for Dinner or Lunch”
Reviewed October 3, 2012

I liked the atmosphere & design of the place as well as its location. The restaurant is very cozy and quite, which becomes more & more rare these days. Concerning the food it is also very decent, though I didn't like the menu selection - fusion of various cuisines is really not a good choice for such place. I'd rather see it as a wine bar or more sea-products oriented restaurant.

• Visited October 2012
Lichfield
“Food is good but it takes hours to arrive”
Reviewed September 23, 2012

The location and decor is good. The waiters are attentive and helpful. Unfortunately, it takes hours for the food to arrive. The only beer available is warm bottled Peroni.

Visited September 2012