“Very Nice Hotel in St Petersburg”

Renaissance St. Petersburg Baltic Hotel
Ranked #29 of 335 Hotels in St. Petersburg
London, United Kingdom
“Very Nice Hotel in St Petersburg”
Reviewed January 12, 2014

Stayed at the Marriott Baltic with my Fiancee and her daughter between 4th and 9th January 2014 and was impressed with the hotel and the central location. Staff friendly without being overbearing and the superior room with two twin beds was great. Very comfortable beds, in room tea and coffee facilities provided which is always good. I agree with earlier reviewers that the Wi-Fi was poor and needs sorting out.

I have to travel back to Russia in April, so I would consider staying here again.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank AndyB85
Cornelia B, General Manager at Renaissance St. Petersburg Baltic Hotel, responded to this review, January 14, 2014
Many thanks for your review and your great comments about our hotel facilities, the location and our staff.
I am sorry to hear about the poor Wi-Fi connection during your stay and I am pleased to inform you that we have been taking measurements to improve the situation and by the time you will return in April the Wi-Fi will be sorted.

Warm regards,
Cornelia

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed January 9, 2014

Stayed there for about 4 nights with a friend. The rooms were suitably comfortable and the staff were always patient and ready to help with our queries. Thanks to the staff who let us check in to the room when we arrived on early New Year's day morning (really needed to rest a little after all that overnight train travel) and he really helped us a lot with the directions/routes to places of interest. :) The location of the hotel's really great too since many of the attractions are fairly close by. The internet access could be a little off at times though.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Thank you very much for your review, I am happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and that our staff was looking after you during your visit. Please be informed that we are in the progress to upgrade the internet access in the hotel and the improvement should be completed very soon.

Best regards,
Cornelia
Seoul, South Korea
Reviewed January 1, 2014

I stayed 2 nights and chose the package, including one-way transportaion, breakfast per night, 1 day Hermitage museum ticket per stay.

The room is clean and not bigger than I expected. Room conditions are also nice, I think only 2~3 years after renovation.

The hotel's the most attractive factor is location. If you enjoy walking the street and are good at map search, I recommand to walk near the hotel, including Hermitage(only 5 minutes on foot), St. Isaac Cathideral(just cross the street), Mariinsky Theatre(15 minutes on foot), Nepsky Pr, Kazan Cathideral(20 minutes on foot) etc.

The second attractive factor is price. Compare to Grand Hotel Europe, Astoria, W hotels near St. Issac or the best hotels in St. Petersburg, Price was very affordable to pay for staying.

The staffs are kind and also good at English to communicate.

I would like to stay again and recommand Renaissce in St. Petersburg Baltic hotel.

Room Tip: Don't miss! A glass of welcome sparkling wine while you're check-in at reception.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Basilio_Seoul
Cornelia B, General Manager at Renaissance St. Petersburg Baltic Hotel, responded to this review, January 9, 2014
Thank you very much for your great comments about our hotel location, value for money and our staff which I will gladly share with the team.

We all here at Renaissance St. Petersburg look forward to welcoming you again in the near future.

Best regards, Cornelia Brinkman
Vyborg, Russia
Reviewed December 20, 2013 via mobile

We've stayed at this hotel just for one night but was pleased with attentive attitude and great atmosphere. Location of the hotel is great. Close to the main sightseeings and tube station. We were surprised with a greeting glass of champaign at the reception and various choice of dishes at breakfast. The only one disappointing thing was waiting for the room to be ready to check in for about an hour inspite of appropriate timing. But that was compensated nicely with another glass of champagne. Left the hotel with a wish to come back. Thank you for great service!

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Nadezhda T, Assistant to General Manager at Renaissance St. Petersburg Baltic Hotel, responded to this review, December 23, 2013
Thank you for your warm comments about your recent stay with us and please accept our sincere apologies for the inconveniences during your stay.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon in our hotel.

Best regards in the meantime,
Nadezhda Tormozova
Assistant to General Manager
Skovlunde, Denmark
Reviewed November 28, 2013

... I would not be staying there. Expensive, and little value for your money, except for the location which is right in the center of St. Pete. Close to many sight-seeings, restaurants etc. Wifi was poor. Rooms small and dark. Breakfast buffet was fine.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank KajJensen
Cornelia B, General Manager at Renaissance St. Petersburg Baltic Hotel, responded to this review, November 29, 2013
Thank you for your comments about your recent stay with us and I am sorry to hear that you didn’t like our rooms. We are in the process to upgrade our Wi-Fi / internet access and planning to have the work completed by the end of this year.
I hope to have the pleasure of meeting you during a future visit.

Best regards in the meantime,
Cornelia Brinkman
서울
Reviewed November 19, 2013

i visited to St.peterburg twice, when i'd been working in moscow... as i know, there are various hotels, especially small boutique hotels... but this hotel is not so small, so i felt safe and very close to main street...Nevsky Street... The room is not large, but enough to get good relax for 3 family members.... i think it's good choice for family travelers.... and the breakfast is good even for Korean like me.... Russia is tough country especially for travellers...because of security and safey...and this hotel will be best but maybe the price is high like another hotel in moscow or st.peterburg....

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Cornelia B, General Manager at Renaissance St. Petersburg Baltic Hotel, responded to this review, November 21, 2013
Thank you very much for your warm comments about our services, facilities and the safe and secure location. We look forward to welcoming you back soon in our hotel.

Best regards, Cornelia Brinkman, General Manager
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed November 6, 2013

As a Platinum Elite Member of Marriott, I've seen my share of hotels and this one ranks much lower than most.

Poor internet. When I called the front desk, all they did was ask me to call the tech support number for ibahn (their provider)...no joke!! Why should a guest have to troubleshoot the hotel's internet, or lack thereof? The front desk should have apologized and taken ownership of the problem...it's your internet service arrangement not mine. If it's due to heavy usage...increase your bandwidth.

NO CLUB LOUNGE. Therefore, being Platinum...I was offered drink vouchers, but found out when using them, they're only good for beer or wine. I just arrived from the Moscow Hilton where the Executive Lounge had a full open bar. Just offering beer and wine is a sign of being cheap and an attempt to cut costs...something your more loyal guests don't appreciate. Offer up a full drink menu...you're still saving significantly by not running a club lounge.

Government Visa Registration Service Fee is ridiculous!! Again...I was previously at the Moscow Hilton...and there was NO registration fee there. I'd put these two hotels at the same caliber and charging for this service is tacky.

The room was SMALL! I would have expected to be assigned a larger one since I'm Platinum. Typically at Marriott's the rooms are spacious...my room was not. I was offered a slightly larger one, but with a poor view. I thought the hotel could have had a little foresight and made a better effort to assign me a larger desirable room...before I arrived.

Concierge...I've never been more turned off by a concierge then the one at this hotel! It was clear they were there not to service the guest, but instead as a profit center for the hotel. When I inquired about a cab from the train station to the hotel, I was first quoted 1200RUB for a Mercedes E class car. When I inquired about a cab, I was quoted 600RUB, all which would be conveniently billed to my room. When I inquired about a cab to the airport, I was quoted 1200RUB for a cab or 2400RUB for the Mercedes...also billed to my room. According to my current guide books (both), the going rate for both is actually HALF of these quotes...except for the Mercedes. The hotel is taking a hefty profit...and disguising it as such when they offer to bill it to your room. I was so turned off by this attempt to profit off what should be an included service (ordering me a cab for the current rate), I took the Metro and bus to the airport which worked just fine...for 60RUB...a fraction of the cost.

There were positives about this hotel, especially the location, but in comparison to other hotels I stay at, and I've stayed at 100's, this one does not do a good job at recognizing the guests and putting their needs in front of profit. Granted, hotels are in the business to make money, but don't make it so obvious that it's uncomfortable...especially for the most loyal guests.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank WldTvlr
Nelly K, Director Of Operations at Renaissance St. Petersburg Baltic Hotel, responded to this review, November 10, 2013
Further to your recent stay with us, thank you very much for your comments on Tripadvisor.

Please accept our sincere apologies for all of the inconveniences during your stay.

As you are our Platinum guest, we were pleased to provide you with an upgrade –you were offered a suite room with a city view on the 8th floor.
Our hotel is built in the heart of the historical center that is why our rooms are not as spacious as in others Marriott hotels.
We apologize that the one we offered you did not meet your expectations.

Renaissance Saint-Petersburg Baltic hotel is a small boutique hotel with 102 rooms only and with no Executive Club Lounge in the hotel so we provide our special guests with beverage and breakfast vouchers. Beverage voucher includes very nice soft drinks and wine selections and we are happy to provide our Gold and Platinum members with extra beverage vouchers on their demand for free of charge.

Our prices for transportation are based on the average price in the city.
We offer to our guests such 2 options of transfers as:
1. Business class Mercedes with the price 2400RUR to an airport and 1500RUR to the Moscow railway station.
2. Economy class car is Ford Mondeo with the price 1600RUR to an airport and 1000RUR to the Moscow railway station.
We are calling the city taxi on guest request only because we are taking care of our guests. Unfortunately, we can not guarantee neither quality of service, nor guest health and safety of their belongings while using the city car.

Also we recently provided free Wifi in guest rooms and Public area. We’re doing our best to improve the signal throughout the hotel.

Please let me assure you that we will organize training for our Front Office associates how to concentrate on guest’s needs.
We hope to see you as a guest in our hotel once again.
We will do all the best from our side to make your next visit more enjoyable.
Thank you once more for being loyal to Marriott.
In case you may have any questions please do not hesitate to contact me directly by e-mail nelly.kucherova@marriott.com

Warm Regards.