“Very nice hotel, great location”

Renaissance St. Petersburg Baltic Hotel
Ranked #36 of 355 Hotels in St. Petersburg
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Very nice hotel, great location”
Reviewed May 28, 2013

This is a very comfortable hotel and a convenient location. We loved the view from our eighth floor window--St. Isaac's Cathedral and the roofs of St. Petersburg. The staff including the concierge were very helpful. We would have liked more consistent internet service. Basically, we had to go to the lobby and sign in each time.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Mplstraveler_13
Patrick N, General Manager at Renaissance St. Petersburg Baltic Hotel, responded to this review, June 5, 2013
Thank you for sharing your experience. Whilst pleased to read that our staff provided helpful service your feedback concerning internet was equally valuable. As a result of your comment we followed up with our internet partner to improve the poor wifi signal.
Best wishes, Patrick

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Pasadena, California
Reviewed May 28, 2013

What a property. Excellent location, spectacular view of the Cathedral from the concierge lounge, bountiful breakfast, 2 blocks from the Vodka museum, and a speedy pass into the Hermitage. This is THE place to stay and I can't wait to return

Room Tip: Try to be high up so that you can have a view of the city
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank GuyFromPasadena
Thank you very much for this positive review!
Washington DC Metro
Reviewed May 28, 2013

Excellent service and staff. Special kudos to Ms. Tatiana of reception. She is the ultimate Marriott professional-- helpful, knowledgeable, energetic and multilingual. Breakfast staff and barkeep are customer service focused and personable. The Renaissance is an oasis of friendly service... The hotel is ideally located for the St Petersburg visitor.

My room was spacious and clean, the hotel cleaning staff did a good job. Breakfast was well done and eggs are cooked to order.

Connectivity is important to me... Rooms have ethernet connections and a separate box with inputs (including HDMI) for computer connectivity to the room's wide screen TV, which is great. However, I found the wi-fi in my room intermittent at best, unless I was standing in the bathroom. The wifi in the common use areas (lobby, restaurant) was strong but required hourly log-ins. TV channel selection was fine. I would like to see CNN replaced by another news channel because I believe CNN has lost its relevance and spends more time promoting itself than giving us credible news.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the street are spacious, but beware they can be noisy because of the street.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
I will certainly share your warm feedback with Tatiana and her colleagues; thank you for this!
We also followed up your comment concerning internet with our internet partner.
In addition to offering CNN, our news channel options include BBC, Euronews, France 24, CNBC, Russia Today plus several in Russian language.
Amsterdam
Reviewed May 26, 2013

I had an early check in and had to wait for three and a half hours until I received a room that I asked for prior to arriving. I was offered some rooms but they did not meet the request i had asked for by phone and in the reservation. As I had an early check in I waited patiently but the staff did not offer me anything while I was waiting for those three hours.
When I got the room there was a penetrating smell. It was clearly from the previous guest who stayed there. I tried to get a short rest but when I laid down on the bed I noticed that the smell was coming from the bed sheets. It was a shock to find out that they didn't even change the bed sheets, very disgusting.
The rooms are very mediocre compared to the price to pay (I paid $400+). The bathroom is very outdated. Using plastic shower curtains reminds me of my student time but I do not expect this to see this when I pay that much money. In the morning I also found out that there were small little holes in the curtains (see photo attached). It seems like moths marks. The room was supposed to be a deluxe room but it was very outdated, impersonal and out of style.
During my stay it was raining in St Pete, like many days. Staff told me they ran out of umbrella's, something unimaginably in a city with that much rain.
The service of the staff was not professional. Every time I asked something I felt like they were not giving the service you would expect in a four to five star hotel.
I am very disappointed especially being a platinum member with Marriott and already stayed for over 90 days in a Marriott hotel in 2013.
Are there any good things in this hotel? Yes, the towels are good, the location is convenient and the guest services desk at least tries to provide true customer service. But this hotel needs to do something about their rooms and their staff. Last time I stayed by the way the service was much better.

Room Tip: Hardly any good rooms
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
4 Thank Database M
Patrick N, General Manager at Renaissance St. Petersburg Baltic Hotel, responded to this review, June 3, 2013
I was extremely concerned to read of your reported experience, and this is certainly not the standard for which we are renowned.

I will review this matter personally and with priority and will contact you directly.

In the meantime best wishes,
Patrick Naughter
General manager
Canterbury, Kent
Reviewed May 17, 2013

This was our second visit to this hotel and we were not disappointed. The rooms were exellent with a nice bathroom, lovely toiletries and welcome bottles of water replaced each day. We had breakfast included and it was more than enough to sustain us until dinner. The staff from the bellboy, receptionists, bar and waiting staff couldn't have been more helpful and the concierge was a great help in finding our way to places we wanted to visit out of the City. The location is brilliant in being in a quiet area but with St Isaacs Cathedral and square a two minute walk and The Hermitage and Cathedral on the Spilled Blood less than fifteen minutes walk. We didn't have dinner in the hotel this time but would recommend both Teplo and Cafe Schastye the first for dinner, the other for lovely local 'snacks' , coffee, hot chocolate but both are very quirky, very busy, reasonable and only a 3-4 minute walk from the hotel!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Dawson24
Thank you for your warm comments. As White NIghts approach St. Petersburg our Summer Terrace, which is located on the 6th Floor of the hotel, is now open daily from 2pm to 2am. Additionally, and as you have highlighted, there are a number of excellent choices for dining within close proximity of the Renaissance.
New York City, New York, USA
Reviewed May 9, 2013

This hotel is moderately priced considering its location and amenities. Its a 5 minute walk from St Isaacs Cathedral, 15 minutes from Nevski Prospect and some terrific restaurants.
The hotel offers a buffet breakfast, a gym and swimming pool, free wifi, excellent concierge services, an ATM inside the hotel and room service.
The rooms are older but very clean, quiet and large. If you are a frequent Marriott customer
the hotel offers free breakfast, free beverages and a free dinner as well.

Room Tip: Try and get a room facing the cathedral on a higher floor.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Patrick N, General Manager at Renaissance St. Petersburg Baltic Hotel, responded to this review, May 13, 2013
Thank you very much for your comments. Although we do not have a swimming pool we do have separate male and female saunas in the gym. We look forward to welcoming you back soon. In the meantime, best regards.
Kyiv, Ukraine
Reviewed April 21, 2013

I had a number of business meetings just around the corner, so decided to give this hotel a second chance safeguarded by the suite booked.

The room was quite good, recently renovated with spacious bathroom and flat screen TV.

The suite exprerience (value for money if compared to W, Kempinski or Astoria), combined with a great location of the property, makes it a right choice if you are not on a tight budget.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Kostiantyn
Patrick N, General Manager at Renaissance St. Petersburg Baltic Hotel, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
Thank you for taking time to share your feedback concerning your stay in one of our suites. We hope to be of service to you again during your future visits to this beautiful city. Best regards in the meantime.