“comfortable and well located”
Review of Dostoyevskiy Hotel

Dostoyevskiy Hotel
Ranked #179 of 335 Hotels in St. Petersburg
canada
“comfortable and well located”
Reviewed May 20, 2010

This hotel is well located and very comfortable, it is a very good 3*. beds are pretty comfotable, lots of variety at breakfast. and only a few minutes walk to famous Perspectiv Nevsky and the Hermitage museem. I would definately go back and recommend it!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
England
Reviewed May 5, 2010

As we arrived at the Hotel Dostoevsky there was obviously a lot of building work going on and as we struggled with our luggage we hoped the doorman would give us a hand however he just casually stood at the door smoking. We entered the reception to be greeted more formally by clouds of cigarette smoke. We had booked a double room and received a twin - we were told to push the beds together. Our first night was restless with loud music from the nightclub. The next day I thought I would use the sauna as advertised on the website only to be told that it would cost around £30 to use for an hour if I booked in advance. The fitness centre was closed as was the business centre ( we later found that when this was open it consisted of one computer which seemed to be continually booked) - there are however a couple of internet cafes nearby which are much cheaper. The hotel bar was ok but when I asked for a receipt for my drinks this "could not be found" which seemed suspicious. Our visit was extended due to the Icelandic Volcano and we booked for a further three nights. Our first three nights had been booked through an online travel agent at £75 a night (a fair cost for a central hotel) however when we checked out they tried to charge us £166 euros per night for the additional three nights. They made up various excuses and tried to tell us that they had told us to secure the original rate however our recollection was different. I would advise any guests to get the room rate in writing in advance. I asked to speak to the manager and was told that the manager did not speak to guests! When I passed a letter of complaintto the reception staff on the morning of departure they promptly cancelled our taxi to the station. A real nightmare.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Mark_R1978

Travelers are raving about these St. Petersburg hotels

Cardiff
Reviewed March 15, 2010

Stayed here for 3 nights in Feb. Had a nice quiet clean room. Great location, just a short 10/15 min walk to the main Nevsky Prospect. Good breakfast too! Reasonably friendly and helpful reception staff. Best of all is the 24 hour supermarket underneath the hotel! (in the courtyard area). All in all a good hotel, and would recommend to family and friends.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SusieSue27
Edinburgh, Scotland
Reviewed December 13, 2009

Stayed in a superior twin-bedded room with my mother and we struggled to understand how they could call it 'superior'. The basic furnishings were very functional, the beds were comfortable and the room was spotless, but space was very limited. Or so we thought. Until one day on the way down to breakfast we caught a glimpse of what must have been a 'standard' twin, and it was TINY! God knows how the occupants would even walk round the beds. Seriously, pay a few extra quid and go superior at the minimum.
There is a small fridge provided in the room, which comes in very handy for chilling drinks, which you will drink by the gallon in this hotel as it is heated to furnace proportions. There is no way to control the temperature in the rooms as it is all underfloor heating. Don't book to share a room with anyone you're not happy to see you in your smalls, because it is unbearably hot to wear much more than underwear in the room. Seriously, I never imagined going to Russia in November and having to sleep with the window open!!
One thing we thought strange not to have in the room was a safe. Not that security is an issue, but who likes to leave passports, documents, money and other valuables lying around a hotel room? We resorted to locking ours in our suitcases.
Breakfast? Hmmm.....all I can say is that breakfast at the Dostoevsky will at least provide us with travel anecdotes for years to come! For a start off, my mother and I are no dawdlers, but the hotel is so vast that it literally took us 10 minutes to walk to the restaurant from our room. As for the food, I have never seen such a large spread on a breakfast buffet; everything from crepes to cauliflower (seriously!). Problem is, only about 20% is edible. The 'fresh' fruit is pre-cut so everything has gone brown and dry, the scrambled eggs rate among the most rank I have ever encountered and as for the porage, I think Oliver Twist would have thought twice. We stuck to muesli and yogurt and after riflling through the apples were lucky to find some which were only mildly yellow-tinged. Oh, and there is a toasting machine, but put your bread in it as you enter the restaurant on your first morning and it'll be about ready on your third!
A word of advice. DO NOT book a taxi through reception. We had tickets for the ballet at the Mariinsky Theatre one night and didn't arrange transport until the morning of the ballet. When I asked at reception the lady instantly quoted 500 rubles, just over £10. I commented to my mother that the taxis were obviously expensive considering we had paid little over £5 on public transport for us both to travel to the hotel from the airport, 17kms away. Then the lady said she would double-check the rate and after a few minutes came back with a quote of 900 roubles, £20!! Unfortunately, we were in no position to argue as we needed transportation. However, when we handed the travel voucher issued at reception, which stated the price we had paid, to our waiting taxi driver, his wry smirk told me everything I already knew. We had been well and truly stung. Especially as the theatre is only 3kms from the hotel.
Alas, I feel I have whinged enough and, to be fair, the hotel has its plus-points. As I mentioned earlier, the hotel is modern, fresh and spotlessly clean. Rip-off receptionist aside, the rest of the staff were all pleasant and helpful enough, especially if you can muster a word or two in Russian, even just please or thank you. And the location cannot be faulted. It is a five minute stroll form Nevsky Prospect, and across the road from Dostoevsky metro station. It is also part of a shopping mall complex, which includes a small supermarket and a very nice baker.
I absolutely adored St Petersburg itself, which I will review separately, and definitely will return with my husband. I would actually stay at the Dostoevsky again as I now know what to expect, which includes packing much lighter PJ's!!

• Stayed November 2009
1 Thank chakelski
Billinge, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 2, 2009

We stayed here for 3 nights while stopping over in St P on the way to Moscow. really pleased with the location, and although all Russian Hotels seem pricey, this didn't break the bank. Our room was 'superior' and I would have been disappointed with anything less, but it was warm, comfortable, pleasant, with a decent breakfast and a fine bathroom. Biggest plus of our stay was the hot chocolates in the cafe in the atrium, and the ice cream from the 4th floor stand. If we'd stayed for longer I would have been on first name terms with the ice cream seller!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends
2 Thank Beth35
Sao Paulo, Brazil
Reviewed September 27, 2009

I have to agree with other reviews that the location (close to Nevsky Pr.) was the best part of the hotel. However, we found the rooms quite bad. Food was terrible and the staff was not very attentive even when my husband muttered some Russian words. Hotels in Russia are very expensive for what they offer. Do not eat at the restaurant. Better go to the bakery at the mall. As a positive point, the concierge was very handy and got us tickets for Marinsky theatre and tranfers for Peterhoff and a city sightseeing tour. Do not expect very well organized tours though. The hotel works with freelancers (cab drivers) and retired communism nostalgic history professors (it adds some spice to the experience, if you will).

• Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank QuincasBorba
Dorset, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 20, 2009

Our first visit to Russia, so went with a tour group. The Hotel was quite satisfactory with everything having been recently refurbished. The Supermarket right below is a real plus. Beds very comfortable and a/c worked well. Staff speak a little English, but always try and be helpful. Would recommend for the seasoned traveller- excellent location. Would stay again.

• Stayed September 2009