“Excellent base for St Petersburg” 4 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Helvetia Deluxe Hotel
Ranked #8 of 331 Hotels in St. Petersburg
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Excellent base for St Petersburg”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 18, 2013

We arrived in St Petersburg on the fast train from Mosco at 23:30 on our first day in Russia so I was looking for somewhere easy to get to from the Moskovsky Railway Station either on foot or by taxi. When we arrived there were plenty of people around so we took the short walk to the hotel (circa 10mins).

The staff on reception are very professional with excellent English (my attempts at Russian were not very good). There is a charge of 220 roubles to perform the important guest registration which I thought was reasonable enough. The registrations were delivered to our room the next day.

Our room was very pleasant, a reasonable size, classic rather than modern in decor with a decent sized bathroom. Very comfortable bed with menu of pillows available from reception (nice touch we didn't use this as the standard were very comfortable). Free and quick wifi is useful.

The hotel is in a great location both for walking via the main thoroughfare (Nevsky Prospect) or via the Mayokovskaya metro station which is no more than a 2-3 min walk away. The metro is easy to navigate (less crowded than Moscow) with a journey of any length costing circa £0.60.

We didn't have breakfast but I would recommend both restaurants (Marius and Claret) attached to the hotel - see separate reviews. Welcome drink, daily pillow chocolates and weather forecasts are nice touches.

Overall I would not hesitiate to recommend this hotel and would happily stay there again. Only reason for 4 instead of 5 is that it didn't amaze me as such but did everything very, very well. We got a good advance rate from Expedia.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank matthewjfarrar

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Tallinn, Estonia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 17, 2013

Stayed in the hotel for a night while visiting the town with my wife. We loved the location - it's almost on Nevsky Prospekt and close to everything, but not quite as busy - it's much less noisy and private than on the main streets. Also I can imagine the courtyard being a nice place to wine and dine in summer. Rooms were nice and clean, staff was friendly and fluent in English. Also worth a mention that we had one of the best breakfasts ever in a hotel.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank LH_Tallinn
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 30, 2013

Very good hotel. Our room was nice and quiet. Very clean and large. The staff were helpful. The room was located in an adjacent building accessed from the courtyard, which meant it was very quiet and we did not have to go through reception each time. It is a fair walk (30-40 min) from the hotel into the center where all the main attractions are, but there is a metro station a few minutes away from the hotel if you are not up for it. It is an enjoyable walk and there are things to see on the way like the Armenian church and a few nice buildings so I would recommend you try it once.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Anonymous039
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 30, 2013

Nice hotel. Our room was large, bright and clean. The hotel is very quiet and during the summer their cafe has a nice outdoor area in the courtyard. The staff was friendly and helpful. The only downside is that it is a good half hour walk into the main sites. That being said, there is a metro station 2 minutes from the hotel if you do not fancy walking. We did not take it as the weather was nice and we enjoyed the walk after all.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Zurich, Switzerland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 27, 2013

I've stayed over one weekend in October of 2013. The hotel's location is amazing, only minutes by foot from Nevsky Prospekt and the Mayakovskaya Metro station. The service is top notch, the the staff polite and attentive. I spoke Russian, but I have heard them speaking to other guests to see that their English is also excellent. The rooms are what one would expect from a four star hotel. There may be an issue for some mobility-challenged guests as the elevator stops in a stair bank in between floors, so a short trip up or down the stairs is unavoidable for getting to one's room.

There was one issue where they recorded my room as empty and so changed the locks and attempted to put other people there. However, they were extremely apologetic and offered to upgrade me to a suite for the remainder of my stay and gave me a free transfer to the airport, so I am inclined to believe it was nothing but a simple mistake.

Overall, an excellent hotel in a great location. Would definitely come again!

Room Tip: Great Location!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank fgalkin
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2013

Despite my short stay at this hotel,-I've overwhelmingly enjoyed every minute of it !!! That was due to cordial reception I received the second I had entered this hotel's premises and contiuned on with my room's cleanliness, welcoming staff, quiet atmosphere and a superb location in the city center !!! Money wise - every penny is worth it to enjoy the lovely accomodation at Helvetia Hotel, Saint Petersburg !!!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2013

I have to say that this hotel was just great:

Location - 10 minutes walk from the main station for the Moscow train, metro station just down the street, just off Nevsky Prospekt - ideal.
Staff - everyone I dealt with was very friendly and helpful, they even insisted on speaking English when I tried to practice my dreadful Russian.
Room - was small (only a single bed) but I was there on my own for business so that didn't matter - apart from that it was clean, comfortable and had everything you needed with free wifi too.

I didn't try the hotel restaurants so can't comment. For the rate I got it for (through Expedia) it simply could not have been better. I was genuinely taken aback by how nice a hotel it was considering the rate I had paid

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business