“Christmas 2013”
Review of Astoria Hotel

Astoria Hotel
Ranked #7 of 361 Hotels in St. Petersburg
Reviewed December 30, 2013

This is the first time we have written a review of a hotel for Trip Advisor. Sometimes you read reviews of hotels and wonder if you are staying at the same property. We have just returned from Astoria and cannot understand the negative reviews that this hotel sometimes gets. We had a lovely time from the moment the hotel car met us at the airport to the minute it dropped us off at the airport for departure. The hotel upgraded us to their Studio suites with views of the Cathedral, a welcome gift of chocolates and we were given late check out privileges; what more could you ask? The ballerina pictures in the room and the 'From Russia with Love' picture in the marble bathroom provided a nice quirky twist to the overall ambiance. Breakfast in the Astoria Café was excellent.

We had dinner in the Astoria Café twice; the quality of the food and overall value for money were excellent. If one were to have one small quibble it would be that the service in the restaurant during our second meal was not up to the level of our first meal (which was completely faultless) due to a lack of staff caused by two functions running concurrently. This was just one of those things.

Overall we would not hesitate to return or recommend the hotel to others.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
Gerold H, General Manager at Astoria Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 31, 2013

Dear Guests,

Thank you very much for taking the time to give us your feedback on your recent visit to Rocco Forte Hotel Astoria.

It was a pleasure to welcome you and my colleagues and I are delighted to learn that you enjoyed your Christmas Holidays. Your feedback regarding the quality of food and service is greatly appreciated and I will take great pleasure in sharing this with the team.

I do hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the near future and would ask that you feel free to contact me directly if I can be of any assistance in arranging your bookings.

We wish you glamorous and magical 2014! All the best to you and your family.
Yours sincerely.

Hotel Management

Write a ReviewReviews (1,662)

Reviewed December 28, 2013

If you appreciate great service and quality, Astoria is your hotel. Try also Cafe Astoria´s Russian specialities. No need to go anywhere else! One of the best hotels in the world. Looking forward to my next visit.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
Gerold H, General Manager at Astoria Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 29, 2013

Dear Maisa,

I hope that you have had a great Christmas ad you have enjoyed your time with your family.

Thank you very much for your nice feedback you have posted after your stay.

We are very happy to hear that you really enjoyed your stay and you had a great time in St Petersburg. Hotel Astoria is truly amazing property with lots of history and great reputation. We are working every day hard to be the best in the city.

We are looking froward welcoming you in our hotel again soon.

Regards,

Hotel Management

Reviewed December 20, 2013

This is a definitely the best hotel in St.Petersburg or even in Russia. Very good service and atmosphere in hotel. Excellent location. One of the best restaurant in St.Petersburg. I do recommend this hotel for all travelers.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Gerold H, Генеральный директор at Astoria Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 22, 2013

Dear guest, thank you very much for taking time to write your comments on TripAdvisor. I will definately share your comments with my team.

It is always nice to know when we do our work right. Thank you for such positive review about atmosphere, service and Astoria Cafe.

We will be delighted to welcome you again at the Astoria Hotel some day.

Reviewed December 18, 2013

The first and the best hotel in St. Petersburg, close to the centre of the town!
The breakfast is very good with a lot of choice.
The personal is very kind and the hotel is wonderfull!!
Also the rooms are clean and comfortable with a magnific view on the town!

• Stayed: December 2013
Gerold H, Генеральный директор at Astoria Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 19, 2013

Dear guest, I appreciate highly the time taken by you to leave the feedback at the TripAdvisor, also thank you very much for choosing Hotel Astoria.

I was very happy to read that you liked breakfasts in Astoria Cafe, quality of service, room and view from your window.

I hope to see you soon again in the Astoria Hotel, you are always welcome!

Reviewed December 17, 2013

The Astoria Hotel in Saint Petersburg has a rich history so it has a certain cache right off the bat. But unlike a lot of hotels who can't seem to capitalize of the splendor of its past, the Rocco Forte Astoria group goes out of its way to make you enjoy the the full experience.

It's not a new hotel by any means but everything seems to "work". A lot of hotels go through a renovation modernization that destroys the old world charm in order to get modern functionality. Not so in the Astoria. Somehow they have managed to update just about everything without destroying the style and architecture of the place. I was there to attend a formal event in the Grand Ballroom and everything was perfect. My room AND the event. I can't think of a THING that was wrong with my stay.

I can't WAIT to return next year.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo

Dear guest, thank you very much for your kind comment you have posted on TripAdvisor for Hotel Astoria.

I was very happy to read that you liked your room and atmosphere in hotel. I and my team are very happy that it left such an impression on you.

We will be very happy if you choose Hotel Astoria again in a future while traveling to St.Petersburg.

Kind regards,

Reviewed December 17, 2013

I recently spent a weekend with my girlfriend in the laid back and comfortable Astoria Hotel in St Petersburg. This is my 3rd visit to this hotel and it did not disappoint. Very clean, comfortable rooms and attentive staff.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear guest, thank you so much for taking time to write your comments on TripAdvisor. It is always a pleasure to read such positive experiences from guests who choose us for the third time.

Thank you very much for choosing Hotel Astoria and we look forward welcoming you and your girlfriend back soon.

With my appreciation, warm regards and best wishes,

Reviewed December 14, 2013

Needed a quick booking for a night and a friend recommended the Astoria to us as he was just checking out. As the title says I stayed for only one night, and even though we arrived late at night and left early in the morning, we were impressed.

At check-in we were informed of an upgrade from the Deluxe we booked, to a Junior Suite. The room had a modern touch to it with some fresh decor. View from the room wasn't all that great as the window was heading the side street. There was a good choice of literature in the room(Tolstoy, Orwell etc') but we were off to bed.

In the early morning I still managed to have a massage treatment at the spa on the 7th floor that was pretty good. Breakfast is only until 10:30 am and as we didn't make it we ordered something quick at the beautiful restaurant in the lobby. It took them some time to serve us our order and as we were running late on our flight we had to cancel, offering to pay for what we ordered but the waitress didn't accept our payment which was a pleasant surprise.

Quick check out and a quick driver that brought us to the airport just in time.

Room Tip: Room 305 has a lesser view.