“Magic of St Petersburg”
Review of Astoria Hotel

Astoria Hotel
Ranked #8 of 359 Hotels in St. Petersburg
Reviewed July 23, 2013

We were pleasantly surprised after a long flight to have our room upgraded. The staff are courteous and friendly, breakfast was included and each morning it was delicious. The location was central and we walked to most places from here. Room was services twice a day and the attention to detail was first class. Would recommend this hotel and would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: July 2013
Walter C N, Manager at Astoria Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 18, 2013

Dear Jilly,

Greetings from St.Petersburg! I hope you are well.

Thank you for your positive feedback on TripAdvisor. I really appreciate it.

We are pleased to read you liked our services and we could contribute making your trip to St.Petersburg a great experience. It is our job to make our guests stay unforgettable.

I hope that this amazing city got into your hearts and we will be very happy if you come to visit us soon again.

Thank you once again for your thoughtful comments. We wish you many happy days and wonderful rest of the summer.

Kind regards,

Miriam Lackovicova

Reviewed July 22, 2013

The Astoria is a pre revolution hotel built in 1912 in the art nouveau/ neo classical style of the period .The hotel would experience turbulent times in early 1917 as the revolution unfolded at its doorstep and over a period of 100 years has withstood two world wars, Perestroika and a new Russia redefining itself. Through all this the hotel never compromised itself as a show place of its aristocratic traditions.The hotel presents a grand entrance from its location adjacent to the impressive Isaac Cathedral and is perfectly located to explore all of St Petersburg treasures.
The staff were extremely efficient and helpful and to our delight upgraded us to a junior suite.The suite was impressive - two rooms with excellent furnishings and a marble grand bathroom - and overlooked St Isaac Square where Nicholas I is proudly perched upon his horse.The Lichfield bar was a good place to be at the end the day and provided a good range of light food.The main resturant was a disappointment and did not complement the hotel - Rocco Forte needs to improve on this...nevertheless a grand 5 star hotel and no trouble recommending to fellow travellers.

Room Tip: Junior suite
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank PADOxford

Dear Sir,

Greetings from St.Petersburg! I hope you are well.

Thank you for your positive feedback on TripAdvisor.

Our hotel has completed a hotel rooms refurbishment at the beginning of the year and Astoria Cafe has also open its new door after a complete renovation.

We will look closely to the mentioned issue with the quality of the food in Astoria Cafe. If could specify it closer, I will be very happy to share it with our Executive Chef in order to work on the quality constantly.

Thank you once again for your thoughtful comments. We wish you many happy days and have a wonderful rest of the summer.
Yours Sincerely,

Reviewed July 19, 2013

If you can afford it (I wasn't paying this time) this is one of the finest hotels in St Petersburg. Look at the list of guests who have stayed here on the outside of the lifts in the lobby and suddenly you will feel privileged.

On check in the staff was very kind and immediately offered to upgrade us to a junior suite which was a beautiful room with a fantastic view of the St Isaac's Cathedral. The room was very big and the bathroom was beautiful with heated floors. The rooms were very well taken care off and there are so many small things done which add immensely to your experience - a small list of activities around the city is left with your turn down service, as well as a short history of St Isaacs, the fire place visual is turned on the TV etc etc...just small touches which make the difference between value and luxury. People have mentioned in other reviews about price of the Internet - it was free for me, because I booked the room online.

The breakfast spread is fairly good, although sometimes it takes a little time to get a seat and for your food to come.

The location is also very good... St Isaac's is just in front and Nevsky Pr is a short walk away, as is the Hermitage. There are quite a few good restaurants very close by offering different cuisines including International, Russian, Indian, Italian and even McDonalds, if that's what you want!

Now for the bad part. One on the first morning, I had to rush for a business meeting and I asked the doorman to help me get a city taxi. The doorman helped me fix it up to get to another part of the city for 1000RUB. At the time it seemed high for me but I didn't argue as I was in a rush and I trusted the hotel staff. On my way back from the meeting, I found the same trip costs 300-400Rub. Clearly the doorman had been complicit with the driver to rip me off !! I complained to the front desk and they said they would speak to the doorman. I don't know what happened after that. I guess a more genuine apology, a discount on the room rate or some other gesture that they were actually sorry about this, would have made it feel more genuine. Moral of the story...don't trust the staff...find out things about your own and don't expect them to be apologetic about things.

Room Tip: Get a room facing the Cathedral in floor 4 or above for a good view.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank dasgupta
Walter C N, Manager at Astoria Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 19, 2013

Greetings from Hotel Astoria!

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. We are delighted to hear you have enjoyed your stay in beautiful city of St.Petersburg.

Regarding your comment about arrangement of the transportation, I would like to inform you that we are looking closely to the mentioned issue and make sure that this will not happen again in the future. We have already taken a measure with an employee involved.

Please let us know when you are planning to visit St.Petersburg next time in order to assist you in arranging transportation.

Thank you once again for your thoughtful comments and we are looking forward welcoming you again!

Yours sincerely,

Reviewed July 18, 2013

This is a beautiful hotel. It would fully deserve its 5 star rating except for a few issues, some of which other reviewers have noted but which the hotel management just doesn't seem willing to correct.

1. The ridiculous price of internet access. Being a 5 star hotel is not a license to gouge money out of guests. Local cafes provide free wifi for the price of a cup of coffee. This place wants $26 a day! I wouldn't stay here again for this reason alone. The management here needs to wake up to itself - this is the 21st century, most people carry tablets, want wifi and are going to go elsewhere rather than be extorted for internet access.

2. Smoking in the foyer. I was under the impression that the Russian Duma had recently passed legislation banning smoking in such places. That aside, the Astoria management doesn't seem to realise that the majority of foreign visitors do not smoke and many (myself included) are disgusted by the vile habit. There's a park across the road - plenty of open space for smokers without the need for them to make the hotel stink. I'm sure if I lit an incense stick in the foyer I'd be asked to leave.

3. I was laying on the bed at 7.30pm listening to music when I noticed two members of the cleaning staff with their heads around the door starring at me. I assume they wanted to 'turn the bed' as I had been disturbed the evening before 15 minutes after I arrived by someone wanting to engage in this pointless activity. Maybe they had knocked and I didn't hear them - regardless, it was outrageous that they should simply use their key to access the room at 7.30pm, whether they had knocked or not. I suspect they were seeking tips. The only way you can be sure of not being barged in on by hotel staff is to constantly have the 'do not disturb' sign on the door. A friend of ours who was staying in the hotel had the same trouble.

4. The food is great, but come down to breakfast after 9am and you'll be kept waiting - you certainly won't feel like a 5 star guest as you stand around, uncomfortably, hoping someone vacates a table soon. The dining room cannot cope and hotel management needs to come up with an overflow option.

Otherwise, as I said, wonderful place. But I wouldn't stay there again unless some changes are made.

Room Tip: If you want peace and quiet, get a room overlooking the courtyard. The view of the cathedral might b...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank rabbit83
Walter C N, Manager at Astoria Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 23, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a feed-back about the Astoria on Trip Advisor.

I am very pleased that you appreciated our hotel structure and facilities.
For what concerns internet, I would like to inform you that Wi-Fi is free of charge for our guests in the Astoria Café and a 24 hour functioning business center.

We would go along with your suggestion on Internet, but with this regard we have to follow the corporate policy of the Rocco Forte Hotels company and charge for the service as our rooms are connected with high speed internet channel - 5Mb/s. Exclusive European Provider IBAHN serves the internet access in the hotel, which provides 24 hours telephone support for the guests.
With the internet connection each guest receives the following VIP services:
Such VIP services and their smooth functioning influence the price of Wi-Fi in the rooms.

The non smoking law will be effective, finally, from summer 2014 and being in Russia we have to follow the regulation of the country. Nevertheless, after the renovation we have limited the smoking areas in the hotel. In fact at the moment it is possible to smoke only in the Rotonda bar and Lichfield. We also have two designated floors which are smoking whilst it is banned on all other floors.

I am sorry to hear about this inconvenient episode on turndown. We offer 2 services on a daily basis and the designated time for the turndown is between 7pm and 10 pm most likely as in the majority of the hotels that provide this additional service. I agree that it is annoying even though our team had the best intentions. I do not deny that some of our staff members need additional training which, believe me, we provide on a regular basis to get our personnel trained properly up to the Rocco Forte Hotels standards.

I appreciate your comment on the quality of our food which I will pass directly to our kitchen team. I understand that waiting excessively for breakfast is not very pleasant, but our restaurant team is completely new since the opening of the Astoria Café and the training process is on its way but not yet complete. It is our objective to provide the best possible service to match the quality of our newly renovated outlets.

We look forward to welcoming you one day back to the Hotel Astoria should you next visit St. Petersburg. We hope that you will appreciate our fully renovated Hotel and re-estimate all our services.

Once again thank you for your feed-back and the few inconveniences.

Your sincerely,

Reviewed July 17, 2013

The Astoria is an elegant, stylish & very comfortable hotellin a great central location. On arrival we were immediately upgraded to making size room on a quiet non-smoking floor facing the courtyard . Over tints our stay was extremely peaceful & this was a big plus. Facilities were modern and pleasant.although the TV size is now small for thisclass of hotel. A big drawback is the expensive dailyiinternet charge which is unacceptable for a hotel of this qualify and price. Austria needs .fo movewith thetimeson this one. Otherwise the service was friendly and staff flexIble. Our request for a late checkout tofit in with our departure time was no problem. If you are a gym goer use the next door Angleterre gym which joinsthe Astoria as it is bigger and brighterwith a pool. Free to Astori guests.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business

Dear Wendy,

Greetings from St.Petersburg! I hope you are well.

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. We are delighted to hear you have enjoyed your stay in Hotel Astoria.

We would go along with your suggestion on Internet, but with this regard we have to follow the corporate policy of the Rocco Forte Hotels company and charge our guests for the wireless connection. Recently a new policy has been introduced, and as a result all bookings done through our website will benefit from having internet access without any additional charge.

Your feed back will help us to undertake proper prompt actions to accomplish this task.

We hope that your journey home was safe, and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel Astoria should you next visit St. Petersburg.

With our warmest regards and best wishes to you,

Reviewed July 8, 2013

The Hotel Astoria is one of those hotels which is steeped in history and which is legendary in its own right! Being lucky enough to stay here is a privilege for which you pay quite highly. But above all, this kind of pedigree somewhat heightens your expectations to a degree which is next to impossible to fully satisfy! Hence the "needs that little bit more"!

The Junior Suite that we were accommodated in was near perfect. The view of St. isaac's Cathedral to die for. The sleek Italian feel decor and furnishings simply sumptuous! The amenities up to par with any other five star hotel standards. The cleanliness as near perfect as can possibly be, most especially in the bathroom. The feel of the plush rooms and corridors is just right.

But unfortunately there are the usual gripes that cannot go unmentioned. There is no comprehensive directory of hotel services provided in the room. Internet / Wifi in the room is frighteningly expensive ( a much lower four star hotel in the same city provides very efficient wifi in the room absolutely free) This should be the norm in all hotels these days most especially five star ones. There were no luggage tables where one can place one's suitcase and not have it sprawled out on the floor. There was no TV in the bathroom. The supply of toiletries in the bathroom was erratic, loads of one thing and none of another - simple lack of attention and such a pity because these are very simple things to get right.

The hotel decor in all the public areas is absolutely beautiful and it does justice to the history and pedigree of this famous hotel. But again many little things can be substantially improved upon. The business centre is tiny, sporting only two relatively old pc's and no Macs and affording no privacy. The Exercise room is small and the equipment provided, particularly the weight station, is very limited. Having only one bench means that only one person at a time can be effectively using it. The Spa treatments are fine - the 90 minute relaxing massage was as good as they come and the therapist was truly excellent. But the Spa decor itself is lacking. It does not have an intimate and comfortable waiting area, the overall decor is itself not intimate and warm and welcoming. It is far too businesslike and not a cocoon of comfort as one would expect of a Spa in a five star hotel such as this one. There was also a lack of a Spa Menu which one could browse in the comfort of one's room. Only a laminated Menu is provided to you for consultation at the Spa reception.

And finally dinner at the Astoria Cafe was adequate having once again an excellence of service but a lack of originality and creativity in the menu and in the dishes. We dines in many a superior restaurant all over the city and at much more competitive prices although by no means cheap.

This is not a catalogue of failures but a genuine objective perspective as to how a seasoned traveller interprets this hotel. They do try, they truly do. The complimentary bottle of champagne and small birthday cake with a personalised card from the General Manager ( without any prompting or requests whatsoever) are very welcome gestures and help make one feel genuinely welcome. The extreme helpfulness of the Head Concierge is also worthy of mention. It is in the little things that this hotel stumbles and reviews such as this one must be seen for what they are - objective interpretations of their guests.

At this stage of the game it is imperative for the Astoria to make the extra effort and take a giant leap towards more perfection because only 50 metros away there has now been the much anticipated and awaited opening of the Four Seasons Lion Palace Hotel and if initial impressions are anything to go by, this Four Seasons hotel is set to decimate any other hotel in its vicinity, not just the Astoria but the Hotel Angleterre and the W as well.

Who said that competition isn't healthy?!

Room Tip: Junior Suite 322 or near it - great view of St. Isaac's Cathedral and recently refurbished!
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,

We are very happy to read that you had an enjoyable stay in our hotel. We are very proud to have celebrated the 100 years of the Astoria which coincided with end of a thorough renovation concerning both rooms and outlets whilst maintaining our heritage as an iconic hotel.

The fact that you enjoyed both the décor and the view from your room is very important to us as we know that it is very difficult to compete with our location. We are appreciative that you have noticed some room for improvement because our aim is to continuously progress in meeting the standards of our guests.
We are very happy that our small gesture of providing a bottle of champagne with a birthday cake was appreciated and hopefully helped to make it even more memorable. I will personally compliment our team concerning the quality of service which they have provided you.

Your sincerely.

Reviewed June 25, 2013

I stayed at the Astoria last weekend while discovering St Petersburg. I have stayed in hotels from this chain 3 times before and was very impressed with the over-all quality of their service but I would never recommend you to stay at the Astoria. The building is wonderful and with a very rich history but the service is terrible. We were paying 3 times the price a room like ours would normally cost because we decided to stay there last minute, and still every time we needed service at the restaurant we had to wait for more than 20 minutes to get their attention. We even had to go search for the waitress so she would give us the menu. The concierge made us wait for a long time while she was making reservations for dinner for a couple who explicitly said they weren't staying at that hotel but had a bad concierge at theirs. To make it even worse, we left our bags with the bell boys while enjoying our last hours in St Petersburg and they forgot to place my husband's jacket with the rest of the luggage. When I called from home to ask them to send it over, they left me waiting on the line and hung up three times on me. Then they made me call a different number where the employee didn't even speak English. Finally, after almost an hour of unpleasant calls I was able to locate the jacket and will have it sent over. In other words, if you want good service, stay somewhere else. It's a great chain, but they don't have their act together in this particular hotel. Also, they charge a lot of money for wifi.

Room Tip: The standard rooms are extremely basic. Not worth the price.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Danie G
Walter C N, General Manager at Astoria Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 12, 2013

Dear Guest,

I am sure you fully realize that I could not feel happy to read your record, but it is always useful to learn how our guests perceive our Hotel and to know which services need our special attention.

Your low estimate of our staff was very disappointing. We have to admit that we really have some field for perfection, but I am sure that even during your stay with us you had chance to meet quite professional representatives of our staff who were eager and able to render high standard service to our guests.
I would not deny that some staff of ours needs additional training which, believe me, we provide on a regular basis to get our personnel trained properly up to the Rocco Forte Hotels standards.

I feel sorry that you experienced some inconveniences during your stay with us. Please accept my sincere apologies for that.

Please let me assure you that we will do the utmost to develop and polish up our services and improve guest supplies quality to bring them up to the Rocco Forte standards and to meet all the highest demands of our guests.

In spite of your comments, we still look forward to welcoming you one day back to the Hotel Astoria should you next visit St. Petersburg, and hope that then you will be able to re-estimate all our services and change your mind with regard to our hotel. We will be working on this.

Once again thank you for your feed-back and sorry about all the inconveniences.

Should I be of any assistance please feel free to contact me directly.

Kindest regards,