“Trying hard, could do better”
Review of Angleterre Hotel

Angleterre Hotel
Ranked #30 of 357 Hotels in St. Petersburg
Reviewed October 13, 2010

Location: Unbeatable.
Staff: First class, friendly and wanting to help
Food: Overall good. Italian pasta al vongole was great, antipasti questionable, beef stroganoff next night good. Creme brulee OK. Excellent offer on a portion of caviar and a vodka! Breakfast, bountiful.
Ambience: Reception and restaurants, good. Corridors to rooms, a bit bleak, my "classic double" room small and a bit bare overlooking the central courtyard.
Room: good bed, comfy pillows so I slept well. Furniture worn, my chair springs had sagged so I had to use a cushion, bathroom spotless and compact. Overall the room was small and bare and could do with something on the walls to perk it up. Good LCD TV.
Didn't like: paying 800 roubles for internet for 24 hours. Rip-off, at those room prices, internet should be free.
Verdict: needs such a small improvement to bring it up to the standard you'd expect for the price. Great for a business stay, but I'd probably go elsewhere if I wanted to bring my wife.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled on business
AngleterreGM, General Manager at Angleterre Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 1, 2010

Dear Guest

Thank you for your comments on your recent stay at the Angleterre Hotel. I was very happy to learn that you found the location unbeatable, staff friendly and wanting to help, food overall good and excellent on a portion of caviar with vodka.
Ambience of reception and restaurants you found good too.

I was also happy to read that you found our breakfast bountiful, the bed and pillows comfy to sleep well, the bathroom spotless and compact.

As we obviously wouldn’t be able to introduce changes to room and bathroom size and location in the nearest future, I have taken your points about the furniture and decoration. We are periodically replacing the desk chairs and looking forward to approval of additional and relocation of existing decorations on the walls in the rooms.

What concerns internet, I would like to inform you that it is free of charge for corporate business travelers, the charge to be waived at departure due to IT software programming. I would assume that has been the reason for being charged. We are also in the process of establishing free WI-FI access in the rooms.

Thank you very much for taking some of your precious time to write your comment which I really appreciate very much.
We look forward to welcoming you back at our hotel during a visit to St. Petersburg.
Sincerely yours

There are newer reviews for Angleterre Hotel

Reviewed October 4, 2010

Spent four days in this hotel and loved every minute. Service was wonderful, rooms were clean and comfortable.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank shandydog
AngleterreGM, General Manager at Angleterre Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 6, 2010

Dear guest,

Thank you for your comments. I was glad to read that you have enjoyed your stay in our hotel and found the rooms to be clean and comfortable. It is always a great pleasure to have satisfied guests.

We all, at the Angleterre hotel, look forward to welcoming you back at our hotel.

Reviewed September 18, 2010

Our Russian partner booked this hotel for my business trip for 2 nights. The hotel charge was paid by the company so can't comment on the price level. The service was excellent and the room was ok quality and clean. Everything went fine although in the last moment when I left the hotel by taxi I would have expected more from the hotel staff to support me when negotiating with the taxi driver about the price. I don't speak any Russian and asked the portier to fetch me an official taxi from the streets. The taxi driver asked 1000 RUB for a 10 minutes drive and the portier was translating. I asked the portier whether this was a normal price for this short distance and he just said that eighter you take this or shall we wait for another one ?? Well naturally I just took this taxi but afterwards I found out that I paid a really generous tourist rate as a normal price with an official rate would have been around 400 RUB. Naturally the hotel is not involved with these taxis but the portier didn't do anything to say to the driver that a normal price should be charged. This taxi fraund left a small negative feeling about this hotel service but otherwise Angeleterre can be recommend.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled on business
AngleterreGM, General Manager at Angleterre Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 24, 2010

Dear Guest,
I was very glad that you found the service at the Angleterre Hotel excellent, the room in good quality and clean. I regret very much about your negative experience concerning taxi service offered by the hotel doorman which is not acceptable and marred your otherwise excellent experience. Unfortunately, there are always such taxi drivers hanging around the hotel looking for customers who believe that they can get a taxi at a better price and good service. We always encourage our guests to use our cars or the numerous city taxi services. However, we have discussed with our doormen the case and that they should support the guest, if he/she insists on using a car from the street, in negotiating a fair price.

Thank you very much for taking the time to write your comments which I highly appreciate.
With best wishes

Reviewed September 14, 2010

We stayed at the hotel Angleterre last week and had a wonderful weekend.
The hotel is beautifully placed within walking distance from the major city sights. The view from our room was to the street and cathedral which is fabulous. We could even jog on Saturday morning in the small park across the square near the river. The food was good and the staff was very friendly and helpful. We had a wonderful experience and recommended the hotel to our friends back home.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 13, 2010

Im very glad the hotel is improving every time I visit it (regularly every 6 month), the management and the service of all stuff is very professional and I feel myself very well treated. I will continue visiting this hotel in my next trips. Very reccomended!

Stayed: September 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank carlosjperez
AngleterreGM, General Manager at Angleterre Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 7, 2010

Dear guest!

Thank you for your comments about your recent stay in Angleterre hotel, St. Petersburg. I was glad to read that you have enjoyed your stay and service. I hope you will enjoy your next stay with us even more.

Reviewed August 28, 2010

It was our second stay in this amazing hotel. We had a great experience here during our previous visit to St Petersburg so we decide to stay here again. The service was efficient, all staff was very helpful. Our room was very comfortable with a nice décor and marble bathroom. We had a wonderful romantic dinner in the hotel restaurant and enjoyed excellent Italian food and a great view to St Isaac Cathedral. The selection of wines was also very good. The hotel has a best location on St Isaac's square in the very centre of the city. We definitely recommend this hotel for staying in St Petersburg!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 27, 2010

As working in hotel industry, I can say that the hotel service was very good. Awesome location, helpful staff and nice rooms. Very liked room amenities, but breakfast variety could be better though..

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled on business

Dear guest!

Thank you for your comments about your recent stay in Angleterre hotel, St. Petersburg. I was glad to read that you have enjoyed your stay. Concerning breakfast variety, please be informed, that we have now on the breakfast buffet 3 more types of berries, one more type of muesli, additional cheese and a basket of whole fresh seasonal fruit.