“You could spend days, even weeks, here”

State Hermitage Museum and Winter Palace
Book In Advance
More Info
$60.00*
and up
Small-Group St Petersburg Hermitage Museum Tour with Skip-the-Line Entry and...
Ranked #2 of 1,781 things to do in St. Petersburg
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: One of the most famous art museums in the world, this museum is housed in the Winter Palace, and contains over 2.7 million exhibits including some of the world's greatest works of art.
Texas, United States
39 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 47 helpful votes
“You could spend days, even weeks, here”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 7, 2013

There are so many pieces of art it is overwhelming. Luckily, we had a private tour guide and ventured off into some of the lesser viewed areas. I am fascinated by sculptures so we spent an hour or so looking through the sculpture rooms. You could literally spend weeks here and still miss some pieces as there is so much to take in. I am not a huge fan of museums in general, but I was impressed with this Palace turned Museum. I allocated a couple hours for this stop which was plenty of time for me but I can see why many tours spend an entire day here.

Visited June 2012

4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 35 helpful votes
“must see”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2013

wonderful!! really a great collection. very well kept. your trip is incomplete without this visit. But keep sufficient time as it takes quite long cant be rushed.

Visited February 2013
1 Thank Tashb2010
Oslo, Norway
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“great history lesson”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2013

the guides are acceptable to bargain on tour guides.
we got it for 1000 rubles, wintertime. 1 hour
200 ekstra to take pictures

Visited January 2013
Spa
25 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“A true wonder”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2013

Certainly one of the best museum I ever visited. It can take a while to see everything so, please plan to spend at least 2 days if you really want to enjoy all the collections. Buying tikets in advance is advisable as queues at the entrance can be long.

Visited August 2012
1 Thank Jean-Claude C
Carrickfergus, United Kingdom
343 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1,203 helpful votes
“You need days for this”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2013

I was with a tour party on a visit to the city, and the plan was to follow a tour guide lady for two hours around the Hermitage Museum. I knew immediately that it was a better plan to say "I'll see you all at the front doors afterwards," and charge in on my own. The Winter Palace is vast. Yes, it's the place the Bolsheviks stormed in 1917. Today it claims to be the world's biggest art museum. They seem to have a stern old lady sitting in every room, eyeing you suspiciously. I pretty much jogged around, map in hand, desperate to see a few items of great personal interest. I'm VERY glad I did. I found myslef in a room crammed with Picasso Cubist works. The contents of the walls were probably worth ten million quid. No thanks, keep moving. All of a sudden I found myself in heaven, in a room full of Gauguins. Extraordinary. I sat, inches from canvasses, seeing at last where strokes of paint were applied. No photos can substitute for really looking with your own eyes at the lumps and bumps and brush-strokes on the real thing. I felll crazily in love with Renoir's portrait of the actress Jean Samary. She's standing expectantly, as if asking "can I see it yet?" 120 years later her charm and character still shine. You'd need a week to see around this place any way properly. Otherwise I recommend taking a beeline for a few favourite items your heart longs to see.

Visited January 2013