“Expected a lot more”

Ranked #10 of 344 Hotels in St. Petersburg
Toronto, Canada
“Expected a lot more”
Reviewed July 3, 2013

We arrived relatively late - around 3:30 in the afternoon, rather tired from a long trip. When we entered the hotel it was rather packed since there were a few conferences going on. We waited a little more then expected and finally the reception took our reservation, but informed us that our room was not ready and we had to wait 20 mins. We waited, 20 mins passed. We waited some more, 30 mins passed. The informed us that we could have a coffee at the bar which we did, 45 mins passed and still the room wasn't ready. At this point I went back to the reception and asked them to kindly let me know the time it would be ready. It was ready, then I asked if the porter could please bring our bags to our room, while we finished our third drink, sure, np. After we finished our drinks, around 5:00 I went to the front to get something and asked if our bags were sent upstairs. No, sorry. Really??? I then went and grabbed the luggage myself and brought them up.
The room itself is large, but a little somber, greens and yellows and reds are the dominant colors. Which is interesting. We were in St. Petersburg to run the white nights marathon. Once our room wasn't even serviced until 5 pm. The only highlight was the concierge Anna, truly lovely and so helpful, her associate couldn't even book online tickets at the hermitage, but Anna was just a gem! Also the waiters in the restaurant were lovely. Aside from that, I don't recommend for the price and service. Good location tho!

Room Tip: Facing the canel
1 Thank eliane_22

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (124)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Sydney
Reviewed June 26, 2013

We stayed here for 4 nights on recommendation of friends and were not disappointed. We had a very spacious room with canal view. The room was very quiet with exceedingly comfortable bed and effective blackout curtains. Location was great being within easy walking distance of St Isaacs, Hermitage, Mariinsky etc. Front desk staff and concierge were all very helpful. We had a room only rate but found several cafes nearby for breakfast.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Possums_10
Reviewed June 25, 2013

Was a little hesitant about our first visit to Russia. Shouldn't have been. This hotel was lovely with great service and all staff speaking very good english. They very precisely pointed out everything that was included in the room rate and things that weren't. The room was well sized and the bed extremely comfortable. Well located within walking distance of main attractions. Highly recommended. The hotel was made organising a visa easy.

chicago
Reviewed June 21, 2013

We stayed for four days in a room that had a river view (an upgrade that I think was worth it. We enjoyed our room greatly. The bed was comfortable, the room size nice, and the bathroom large with separate large tub and shower. There was also a bidet. The view was pretty. We were impressed by the location and friendly service. The décor was a bit much with the bright colors, but interesting. Lobby was pretty basic in terms of room to hang out. The bar area I did not find particularly pleasant and a bit bare. We loved that we could walk easily to St. Isacs, the hermitage, the Marinsky, etc. The restaurant looked nice and we ate breakfast there by buffet. The buffet was huge, but most items were cold or lukewarm which surprised me for this level of standard hotel. There was no improvement about this matter over the four days we were there. I found this to be a common problem in other hotels in Russia also. The hotel was nice to pack us a decent box to take on our departure because we left before the buffet opened. Hotel had a tiny steam room in the basement. Could just fit two people, but it worked very nicely.

Room Tip: I would splurge for a room with river view.
2 Thank danielswiss64
Domina_Rus, Public Relations Manager at Domina St.Petersburg, responded to this review, June 24, 2013
Dear danielswiss64,
Thank you for your response! We are very happy that you enjoyed your trip to St Petersburg and stay at Domina Prestige Hotel!
We are fixing the situation with hot dishes on breakfast. Please be sure it will be really hot when you decide to visit us again!
You are always welcome at our hotel!

Natalia
Miami Beach, Florida
Reviewed June 21, 2013

I went to Russia as a contestant of the White Nights Festival of Saint Petersburg 2013. The Domina Prestige hotel was home for 5 days and it felt like it.
As one walks in, the interior decor will make you smile with its vibrant energy of colors. At check in, they do speak English and are very pleasant and quick. Do expect the front desk to hold your passport for at least 24 hours. I wasn't too happy about that, but that's the rule over there I guess. As I got into my room, I had difficulties turning on the lights, you have to put the room key in the key holder next to the door otherwise the lights go off quickly. By the way, getting in the room is a little different, you simply have to make contact with that little spot where you'll see the lights to unlock the door, not your typical slide in key at all. Very modern I find.
I had a purple and spacious room on the 3rd floor and loved it, great bed, free wanter. Penhaligon toiletries are definitely a plus in the bathroom, ceiling is also high, a welcoming sight for 6'4" person like myself.
I really enjoyed my stay while in Saint Petersburg and great night sleep during White Nights was a necessity.

Room Tip: 3rd floor was great.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank Kevens
Domina_Rus, Public Relations Manager at Domina St.Petersburg, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
Dear Kevens,
Thank you for you review! It was great to host you and all White Nights team in our hotel! Hope to see you next year!

Natalia
Belfast
Reviewed June 13, 2013

This hotel is situated alongside a canal within a five minute stroll of St. Isaac's Cathedral and a ten minute walk to the Winter Palace. It has the advantage of being close to Nevsky Prospekt (15 minutes) without the noise of the very busy road. The hotel is very modern and the rooms are a good size, clean, well-furnished and maintained. The breakfast offered a very good selection of hot and cold options and seemed to cater for a non-Russian clientele. Note that the hotel charged us 500 Roubles to register our Visas (two people) which our hotel in Moscow didn’t. The best rate I found for this hotel was on Skoosh.com
The Concierge and Front desk were very helpful and courteous advising on various trips such as to St Catherine’s Palace in Pushkin which is definitely worth a visit and the free walking Tour which was a great way for us to get a feel for the city on our first day there.
We arrived from Moscow on the Sapsan and transferred to the hotel using a taxi booked on the train (650 Roubles) which was a good choice based on how busy the station was. Taxis booked on the street can have very inflated prices so it is normally better to pre-book them. As we were met on the platform next to our carriage we were very happy with our choice. I would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Skoosh

Dear ValKC,
Thank you so much for the kind words!
We will be happy to see you again at Domina Prestige Hotel St. Petersburg!
Chichester, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 6, 2013

Me and my husband had a wonderful stay here. The hotel is brilliantly located in the magical city of Peter. The staff were extremely kind and helpful. The decor? Wow! It certainly is extreme but I loved it! This is not a conventional look, but I was very sad to leave this original and thoughtful place. Our room was extremely spacious with the most comfortable bed I have ever slept in! There were lots of nice toiletries and amenities. It would have been nice if there had been some English news channels on the tv other than news - it seemed to be the only language without some. Also on their website they advertise a Jacuzzi, which much to my sadness, turned out not to exist! Oh no! The gym and sauna were lovely though. I will look back on my time in this hotel very fondly. What a lovely place!

Room Tip: We were in a green room which was nice but have a look at all the pics online to choose the one that...
1 Thank Mariam G
Dear Mariam G,
Thank you for your response!
You are absolutely correct, we do not have Jacuzzi, and we have already improved the infornation on our website!
It's great that you have engoyed our design and our wonderful beds!
You are always welcome to Domina Prestige Hotel St. Petersburg!