1) There is no lift (elevator). It is up 2 flights of stairs and would be impossible for the handicapped, and would be difficult for anyone with difficulty carrying up their luggage!
2) My room was outstanding, among the nicest I have been in in Russia, at any price. It was immaculately clean. It overlooked a famous local building, the manege. There were two large (new) windows that opened. The room was spacious, The plumbing was new and excellent. There were extra pillows.There was a mini- fridge. It lacked a reading chair, a washcloth, and a sink stopper (the latter 2 are almost never present in Russia). It was totally quiet (except for inevitable street noise).
3) The breakfast was more than ample and of good quality: blini, boiled egg, yogurt, h&c cereal, cheese, cold cuts, bread, juice. Nice toaster & microwave, It is the same every day. But only 2 small tables for 7 rooms. There might be room for a few more places, but maybe not.
4) Staffed by one young person at a time each on for 24 hours at a stretch.. The 2 (of 5) who spoke English were current university students. They were all pleasant and courteous. They clearly were chosen carefully & trained well. They served me early breakfast with no complaint.
5) The location is superb: walking distance to almost anything: Neva, Hermitage, Mariinsky, New Holland, a new Metro stop, in a quiet, nice neighborhood. Try the Crocodile Bistro a few blocks away: a find.
In summary, overall, one of the nicest places I have stayed in Russia. I hope to return. My conference was at a five star hotel nearby, where costs were more than twice that of this hotel. I prefer this one.