“Nice restaurant, 1900 decoration”
Review of Chekhov

Chekhov
Reserve a Table
Ranked #105 of 12,120 Restaurants in St. Petersburg
Cuisines: Russian
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Petrogradsky
Description: Traditional Russian meals and modern gastronomic trends in the interiors of aristocratic country-house of the late 19th century. Collection of homemade vodka and liqueurs. An extensive wine list, representing the main wine regions. Courteous staff, dressed in the costumes of the era. Live piano music. A separate room for 6-8 persons, which also presents the classic Board game.
Reviewed March 24, 2019

The decor and furniture style is from the period of 1900 and the waiters and waitresses dress from that period. It has a lot of charm with the decor and furniture making it an interesting experience. The menu is very interesting since is a mixture of International and traditional Russian food.

I had a traditional Russian salmon starter with small pancakes it was ok, but nothing really special, my husband had a traditional Russian salad on a black bread, really good. This followed for a crab salad ( a bit too much mayonnaise) and fish with mash potatoes/beet really tasty. It was not really busy, so we didn't have to wait long for our food, everything is freshly prepared.

The whole ambiance in the restaurant was good and an experience. Do not miss this place.

Date of visit: March 2019

Reviewed March 16, 2019

Went to Chekhov Restaurant for a birthday celebration on a Saturday Night. It was my second time at the restaurant, the first was 10 years ago so I was pleased to see that it was still going strong.

On arrival it was just as I remembered it. The decor and furniture style is from the peiod around 1900 and the waiters and waitresses dress from that period. It has a lot of charm with the decor and furniture making it an interesting experience. The menu is a mixture of International and traditional Russian food.

I had a traditional Russian salad starter followed by a Goulash and a creme brulee all of which was excellent. I also like the rye bread Kvass which is very good. There is a delay in waiting for food in the restaurant which can be quite a wait but I think this is acceptable as the food is freshly prepared to order so I think this is a fair exchange rather than go to a restaurant where the quality is not so good and comes from a freezer to the microwave.

The whole ambiance in the restaurant was good, there was even a piano player for some of the evening and we enjoyed the experience. If there was a criticism it would be the service in that there were several times when we wanted more drinks and it was quite an effort to get the attention of the waiter. He did acknowledge my request on one occasion and then forgot to get the drinks which I could not understand as there were only 4 or 5 tables with guests.It was if he was not really interested!

This however did not ruin a good evening and if you are prepared for a slight wait for your order as it is prepared in very nice surroundings it is worth it.

Date of visit: September 2018
Reviewed October 27, 2018

We arrived at this lovely restaurant on a weekday night for dinner and our table was only one of three tables taken in the dining room, therefore the waitstaff was not overworked or taxed in any way.
The food as bland and terribly under-seasoned, but it was the service which was the worst. The entire evening the waitstaff hid in an alcove and were either talking or texting on their cell phones. Anytime we needed some type of service, we had to stand up at our table and wave our arms until they finally saw us.
It was a situation which was inexcusable and spoiled the entire evening for us.
Please do yourself a favor and find someplace else to dine.

1  Thank werhappy2travel
Reviewed October 26, 2018 via mobile

Booked a table for 26th October, our last evening in St Petersburg. When we arrived the booking had been made for the 27th in error. Staff were brilliant and found us a table. The food was freshly cooked? Elegantly displayed and tasted Devine. The restaurant had been recommended by our tour guide, and she was so right. The best meal we have had for a long time.

Reviewed October 14, 2018

Chekhov really broke our hearts!! From the second we walked in we were absolutely charmed. Great environment, design, very accessible prices , we were in 3 people and ordered 8 different dishes(that's how excited we were). We are actually looking for caterers for our wedding and we thought we hit jackpot. The food start coming and is delicious, so we get even more impressed with the place. Then when is time for our soups, they forget to bring mine, that's a common mistake and we so in love with the place that we don't make a big deal. We ask the staff if they forget, they say no and don't 'apologize or anything, there was literally 1 more table with us the whole time we were there, so we don't understand the delay. More time passes, almost half an hour, we call again and politely tell them to cancel my soup and just bring the next meal, they bring the soup anyway and proceed to take another half an hour to bring the remaining dishes, by this point we aren't charmed anymore. .. My mother in law, an elderly woman tries to ask for the check and is yelled at by what we assume is the manager, again after we ask for the check they bring out dishes like nothing happened. Meal is over, not only we pay full price, the manager stares at us for 15 min and the waitress laughs at us on the way out. I don't know how they managed to ruin this for us.. It was so preventable and now they lost a catering opportunity and I'll make sure to warn everyone coming in town to stay away from there

2  Thank Francesco C