“Good atmosphere,helpful staffs”

Apple Hostel
京都
“Good atmosphere,helpful staffs”
Reviewed October 4, 2012

I stayed here for 2 nights. This hostel has very relaxed and blight atmosphere. The staffs are well experienced and gave me sufficient info. Moreover,the location seems to be perfect.Safe area and close to the main street.

One thing I would like them to improve is that the stuffs need name plates or uniform because I couldn't tell who are stuffs in the hostel.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed September 12, 2012

Stayed here twice (most recently for two weeks), and would stay again. The location and the price could not be better. But what makes this hostel shine are its staff: Olga, Oksana and Irina. Somehow they manage to create a warm and welcoming atmosphere, effortlessly. They'll do their best to accommodate any reasonable need you have. They'll carry on interesting conversations if you're up to it, or leave you be if you want to do your own thing. Their English is fluent.

The hostel has added a common area since I last stayed, which has improved the hostel greatly. You can usually find interesting people hanging out in the area.

I haven't been to the "annex" (overflow space) which they use when the hostel fills up, so I can't comment on that. But the main hostel has everything you need: cooking area, a fridge, lockers.

The hostel is kept very clean, and the sheets you get are well-laundered. There's a washing machine with free detergent (but the drying is done by hanging your clothes on a rack, as is normal in St. Petersburg).

There are some minuses. The wi-fi is unreliable, especially for phones and tablets; the staff know of the problem and have tried to fix it, but did not fully succeed. Getting the right water temperature in the showers can be tricky, and hot water can run out. Children's drawings plastered over many walls (by grateful children who have stayed there) can make the place feel a bit like a kindergarten lobby or a pediatrician's office.

But on balance, this is a most excellent hostel and will be my choice when I'm again in the city.

Room Tip: The 12-person room is good but at night people might accidentally wake you, since the chance that on...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Ilya S
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Reviewed September 8, 2012

Me and my friend booked two beds in an 4 bedroom. The 12 bedroom had surpringly much more space to store our clothes and stuff so we switched to the the 12 bedroom. We got back our money for that change whitout any problem the next morning, because obviously the 12 bedroom was less expensive. To reach the airport they booked a taxi for us (FOR FREE) at 1 am and the admistrator Irina call us 5 min before 1 am to tell us that our taxi was in front of the door. Look to be normal, but in Moscow and in Helsinki they charged us money just because the guy at the front desk called a taxi for us. Moreover, the atmosphere is really warm they have a nice living room where everyone could talk to each other. And the location, WOW, you are at a walking distance to the Hermitage Museum and downtown Saint-Petersburgh and the staff spoke fluently English... And remember that hostel is cheap... so yes they deserve their 5 stars...

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank JPG_CALGARY
Prague, Czech Republic
Reviewed July 30, 2012

When you consider some 94 % on hostelworld.com, you expect some good hostel standard. Although, I was kind of disappointed with this hostel. Maybe it is because we stayed in the annex (Apple Hostel II), that has been (probably) opened recently and it was a real mess. No lockers were available, the wifi was not working with my BB. The first night was nice and there was not any problem, the stuff was heplful also. However the second night, some 5 new people came to the room (regardless the fact that we six paid for beds in 8-people dorm) at 6 in the morning and the stuff started making up their beds waking us up accidently.
The facilities and common rooms were very clean. The fact I did not like at all was a family (probably the owners of the flat) with a small child living in the common rooms (they were actually sleeping just behind a curtain in the lobby on a lowered level platform).
Well, we did not experience the "old" Apple Hostel Italy that may be really nice with great atmosphere, but our expereince totally does not match to its high reputation on hostelworld.com.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank czech_pushkin
Ohio
Reviewed July 15, 2012

When we arrived it was awful! We got a private room, for two people, it was literally a closet - it did not have a window and it didn't even have a lock! (There were two lockers in the room that locked our valuables) However, the next morning, I remembered why I chose this place - it is extremely well located and cheap compared to anything else in the area. While all the staff is friendly, Oksana, the main receptionist, really made this place shine. She was super friendly, and always willing to offer advice on dinner, travel, etc. Also, I needed to print my hermitage tickets and they had no problem letting me log on my email and print them.

While the first impression was not amazing, I would highly suggest this place for a cheap and cozy stay

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank brandasa
Reviewed July 6, 2012

Apple Hostel is super cosy with excellent service. The staff was really nice, and spoke fluently English. Apple is a really special hostel, and I don't think you'll find anything alike.

• Stayed June 2012
1 Thank Gunnar3000
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed June 27, 2012

I stayed at the Apple Hostel "annex" which is around the corner from the hostel, so this review is of the annex, not the main hostel. I got to the main hostel in a bit after midnight and was then given directions to the annex. Since I was only there one night, that wasn't a problem for me. For either spot, finding the right entrance on the street is easy, then finding the apartment is a bit tricky, so if you're directionally challenged, be sure to ask for help ahead of time.

The annex is an apartment converted to a hostel. There were 3 dorm rooms: 12 person, 6 person and a 4 person loft. I was placed in the 12 person dorm. I don't believe I was given specific info about room size or prices when I booked, so again, no real complaints but something to take note of.

The beds were comfortable and not too crowded but since there are no lockers, it can get messy. I found the hostel to be well kept up plus the bathrooms were clean and everything functioned well. Also, the kitchen had lots of plates, pots and cutlery for those who want to cook (Nevsky Prospect has lots of great places to eat like Zolotaya Loghka (Golden Spoon) so there is really no need to cook). The staff was helpful and two of them let me use their cell phone to make a call to Moscow. Also, laptops were around if you needed to use a computer.

I think one thing that might put off some visitors is the staff hanging out atmosphere of the hostel. One of the people was camping out/sleeping on the couch - a bit strange. I really didn't have any special needs like some of the other reviewers mentioned, so can't comment on that.

While the hostel was clean and well located and the staff were nice, I am hesitant to give it 4 stars since I think a non-Russian speaker would get a different level of service and might be put off by the scene.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo