“Nice hotel, friendly service”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Grand Mark Hotel

Grand Mark Hotel
Ranked #74 of 333 Hotels in St. Petersburg
Menlo Park, CA
“Nice hotel, friendly service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2013

We had a very nice 4 night stay in a standard room on the second floor by the reception (room 1?). The room was clean and very spacious, the bed was comfortable, the bathroom was modern and there was a bookshelf full of books in Russian and a few guidebooks in English. The hotel is on a quiet street, very close to St Issac's Cathedral and the Bronze Horseman. There is a very good restaurant called the Krokodil just a few doors down. The staff was very helpful and spoke perfect English. Breakfast was simple but filling. 2 bottles of water was provided daily and there is a water cooler in the hall. The fridge in the room was handy. WIFI/AC all worked fine. Only hiccup we had was there was no hot water on our first morning. The same thing happened to us at another hotel, so we're wondering if the staff forgot to flip on a switch to turn on the water heater... Overall we had a great stay at this small, friendly hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank nsl_mp

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
  • Turkish first
EastCoast
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2013

This is an absolutely perfect location for a very reasonable précis. While the entry hall is sort of dismal and “Russian functional,” (go past Reception for the other hotel in the building, take elevator or stairs to second floor), once you enter this mini-hotel on the second floor, the hall is bright and cheerful. The rooms are simple and small (with a very small bathroom), but the bed was great and the location quiet. The staff were all helpful, getting whatever we needed in terms of taxis and tours. We were 10 minute walk to St. Isaac’s Cathedral and 15 minutes to the Winter Palace and very close to the river embankment.

The restaurants are plentiful – we had great meals at Stroganoff and at Vodka Museum. However, go to Artichoke (out front door of hotel building, 5 or 6 buildings to the left across the street ) – enter and go down stairs. Very simple, neighborhood – but wonderful food at a reasonable price.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank OnOurWay038
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2013

I wasn't sure what to expect of a "mini-hotel" which are apparently very popular in Russia, but I must say I am very happy that I gave Grand Mark a chance.

I stayed in a standard room (#4 if I remember correctly--on the 2nd floor/by reception) and the room was a decent size. The bathroom was small, but very efficient and well thought out. It had a stall shower with doors (not a shower curtain, which I really liked), a normal hair dryer (not one of the horrible typical hotel hair dryers), and they provided toiletries in case you needed them (from what I understand this isn't very typical in Russia).

The room itself was simple and clean. It was a decent size (I wouldn't say it was small, but it wasn't a large room). The wifi worked without any problems (more than I can say about my Moscow hotel). There's a mini fridge in the room, hot water kettle with complimentary coffee and tea, and complimentary bottled water.

The staff at the Grand Mark was wonderful. Everyone was very polite and spoke perfect English. They arranged for an airport pickup when I arrived and also for taxi to take me to the train station at the end of my stay. My hotel in Moscow was unresponsive to my request for a taxi there, and the Grand Mark staff contacted them for me while I was out sightseeing for the day and confirmed my taxi in Moscow. I really can't say enough about how nice and helpful the staff are!

The included breakfast is simple, but I was happy with it. It's not a breakfast buffet, but rather you fill out a form stating what you'd like and when you'd like your breakfast. You can either have it in your room or in the front desk area. You can change your preferences from day to day by letting the front desk staff know, otherwise you'll get the same thing at the same time each day. My husband thought the porridge (oatmeal) was excellent. A larger breakfast selection would certainly be nice, but as it currently stands it's perfectly adequate.

You can't get much better locationwise. You can walk and see all the sites very quickly! St. Isaac's Cathedral, the Hermitage and Winter Palace, Bronze Horseman, and the hydrofoils to Peterhof are all incredibly close. My husband and I walked everywhere we needed to go.

Cons: they charge you for the visa invitation and registration. My hotel in Moscow included it in the price of my room stay, so I ended up requesting my visa invitation from them. While I have no problem with the hotel charging for the registration since it's extra work, I felt that I was misled about it being an additional fee because they don't mention the charge on their website.

The entrance is somewhat confusing. They share the main door with another hotel, and because registration for the other hotel is on the first floor and their registration is on the 2nd floor, I thought I was entering the wrong building. There are signs so you know you're in the right place, but it was a bit odd. When you get off the elevator/go up the stairs to the second floor one door is for the other hotel and the other door is for the Grand Mark. Because of this, there isn't a doorman/bellhop. I didn't mind, but don't expect to be greeted at the door by someone to help you with your things. I just felt the need to mention this because I can see it as a problem for an older traveler.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank ashley r
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2013

We stayed for three nights in one of the standard rooms on the first floor. The bedroom wasn't huge but there was free wifi and a water cooler in the corridor outside. The bathroom was large and well-equipped. The breakfast was tasty; the fruit porridge was excellent. The staff were really helpful and booked a taxi to the airport for us.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Cambridge, Massachusetts
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2013

Our experience at the Grand Mark may be a little different from others because we had a somewhat strange and dreary room on the ground level. It didn't even really feel like we were staying at the same hotel as other guests.

Breakfast spread was similar to other hotels in Russia but the food quality seemed a step down from what we've been used to. The location of the hotel is quite nice, just off the Neva near the Admiralty, though the Metro is a 15-minute walk away.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for our 5 days in St Petersburg and it was one of the better choices we made on our trip. It is a great bargain with a central location, especially considering the price. It looks like a converted apartment and we had a "junior suite" with quite a bit of room, but I can't speak to the standard rooms. The women running the counter are great: very friendly, extremely accommodating, and most speak better English than we spoke Russian. If I could give more than a "5" on service, I would. Complimentary breakfasts are simple but filling and delivered to your room. There are also a lot of nice little touches like complimentary toiletries, water, wifi, etc and reasonable prices to arrange for a transfer from the train station. They were even kind enough to let us do some laundry in the evening hours while there (small washing machine and no dryer but that's still an unexpected bonus). The reviews for this hotel were excellent and we were even happier with it than expected. If we are able to visit St Petersburg again, we will definitely return! One tip: go upstairs to the second floor to check in as another hotel is on the ground floor.

Room Tip: The junior suite has more than enough room, especially for a European hotel. Don't really know...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank sterlingice
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 22, 2013

Good, value for money, very small (8 rooms?) and very basic hotel. Clean and good shower and amenities like comb, toothbrush, slippers and robe kindly provided and included in price. This was a nice touch and appreciated.

Lisa and Ksenia work on reception and were very helpful, thank you. Wi-fi works fine in room and is included in price as was breakfast, brought to the room at a time you request in advance, If I need to make a mention, there is a small sink in bathroom which wasn't really big enough to hold my toiletries bag, and a little bathroom shelf would help. When I asked where was good to eat, Reception mentioned a Very nice steak and stroganoff restaurant nearby which is a bit expensive but I recommend and reviewed.

The Grand Mark Hotel in St Petersburg (which I booked via booking.com) should not be confused with a hotel of the same name in Turkey who I accidentally emailed by mistake to confirm my booking and was told I had no booking! Despite sending them my booking confirmation clearly stating Grand Mark Hotel, St Petersburg, they never bothered to tell me theirs was the hotel with same name in Turkey, and they had no address on their email, so how was I to know!? grrr. Reception in SPb told me this happens sometimes!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business