“Worst Experience” 1 of 5 bubbles

Roses Hotel
Ranked #68 of 332 Hotels in St. Petersburg
“Worst Experience”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2013

I recently stayed with my family in this so called 4 star rated hotel.The experience was bad to worst.First i don't understand how they rated 4 star in booking.com.It did't had any facilities of a 4 star.The hotel does't have a lift and my room was in 5th floor in a old colonial building.Not all but few staff were really rude and arrogant.Absolutely no restaurants except for a tiny dinning hall for breakfast.Fortunately its location had restaurants near by so we could manage. The room Air-conditioners were not efficient and to make things worst one of the room in our family room had no air-conditioner. We were 4 persons and were forced to sleep in a single room while the other room was left unused as it was so humid with out even a fan.above all these its not cheap.One can get a much better hotel for the same rent. Avoid this ripoff hotel for a good stay in St Petersburg.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
6 Thank Susila_V
Svet73, Директор по продажам at Roses Hotel, responded to this review, July 18, 2013
Dear Susila_V,
We would like to inform you and other customers that you were staying in family room with 2 bedrooms. We are sorry that conditioner in second room wasn't work as good as u want, but it was late evening to invite person to fix it, so we give u another dbl room and also fixed problem with condition on next day at morning, so there was no need to stay 4 people in one room, we offered for you 2 rooms.
And as i wrote to yours friends in preview review our hotel located in historycal city center, and in old buildings less then 5 floors it's not allowed to have an alivator, and this information you could find in our website.

We still would like to thank you for your review. We hope it will help other travelers to make a right choice to avoid broken expectations.

Roses Hotel.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2013

I stayed with my family in this hotel in june first week.
After my excellent stay at Boscolo Budapest i arrived with great expectations as it
was rated 4 star in your website.Unfortunately my stay was not good but it was nightmare.
We stayed in a family room and a/c was not working in my children room and when complained the staff asked us to keep the windows open.What an arrogant answer to a guest who paid 19000 rubbles for 2 day stay in this hotel.After continuous complaints they arranged another room after 2 hours exposing their frustration.
The hotel is a part of an old building with badly maintained smelling stairs.
we were in 2nd floor and the breakfast was in 5th floor and hardly we went there as there were no lifts.The toilets were conjusted and the stay was a total disappointment.
Really Not worth for the tariff.Can be rated a 2 star.
I myself an hotelier has never made a review like this.but iam forced to do this to warn travellers when they have a better choice and service for this price in a beautiful city like St Petersburg.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank pari k
Dear pari k,
First of all we would like to thank you for choosing our hotel and for your informative review. It is very pity to read that you have experienced uncomfortable feeling during your stay. We would like to inform you and other customers that you were staying in season of white nights and this is the highest season in Saint-Petersburg, also you choose family room with 2 bedrooms. We are sorry that conditioner in second room wasn't work as good as u want, but it was late evening to invite person to fix it, so we give u another dbl room and also fixed problem with condition on next day at morning.

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2013

I was travelling for 3 weeks with my family all over europe booking my hotel based on the reviews of trip advisor and bookin.com and never i have made a review like this.I booked this hotel considering the reviews in trip advisor but i was shocked when i visited it.Finding the hotel itself is difficult since the name boards are way too small and it took us 2 rounds in that street to find it.The location is good and is in the city centre and 5 mins walk from Nevsky Prospect Shopping Street.I Stayed in this hotel with my family from 2/6/13 to 4/6/13.apart from location it is a bad hotel in a ruined old building with pigeon smell all along the staircase.No lift in 4 star rated hotel.The old building is 1/3rd commercial 1/3rd residential and the left over is a hotel with rooms scattered in 2nd,3rd and 5th floor.The toilets are too small with cheap and faulty fittings.Air conditioners are split type with 50% efficiency.I would't have complained if it is 1 or 2 star.Not worth for the tariff

Room Tip: Not worth for its price
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank sana007
Svet73, Head of Booking and Development Department at Roses Hotel, responded to this review, July 18, 2013
Dear sana007
First of all we would like to thank you for choosing our hotel and for your informative review. It is very pity to read that you have experienced uncomfortable feeling during your stay. We would like to inform you and other customers that the hotel is located in historycal city center, and in old buildings less then 5 floors it's not allowed to have an alivator, and this information you could find in our website.
We still hope that your stay in our city was full of positive moments and you have now wonderful memories about your visit.

Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2013

We thoroughly enjoyed our four night stay at Roses Hotel. Our Business category room was spacious, nicely furnished, well equipped and very clean. The bed was very comfortable and the room was extremely quiet. I did not need earplugs, as I usually do in hotel rooms.
The young, English speaking staff were kind, helpful, informative and efficient.
Breakfast was very good. Hot tea, coffee and pure drinking water are available at all times.
The location is very convenient, a short walk from Nevsky Prospect and Moskovskiy station. There are several coffee shops, restaurants and food stores nearby.
Wi fi worked well in our room.
The hotel is Reception is two flights up, and there is no elevator/lift, but the staff immediately volunteered to carry our bags for us.
This was our second visit to St Petersburg, but our first at Roses Hotel. We would happily stay here again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank julietheoracle
Hong Kong, China
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 24, 2013

A large number of reviews posted here supports the highest rating and I am pleased to align mine. I wish to supplement with the following:

1. Location: 15 minutes from Moskovskiy station [Московский вокзал] on foot is particularly welcomed by travelers arriving SPB on trains from Moscow with light luggage. This obviates the need for a car transfer that may lead to the frustration of being ripped off by the taxi driver and avoids the traffic congestion around Ploshchad Vosstaniya [Площадь Восстания ] . From the hotel to Ploshchad Vosstaniya metro station is a mere 10-minute walk. Ulitsa Vosstaniya [улица Восстания], where the hotel is located, is a busy street with cars parking alongisde the kerbs and sometimes at an angle to the kerb. The street is filled with shops, including several eateries a "Subway" sandwich cafe only steps from the hotel, a 24-hour small supermarket about one block down the street from the hotel and the modern Stockmann shopping mall that has a grocery store just opposite the metro station and on the corner with the famous Prospekt Nevskiy [Не́вский проспе́кт]. As mentioned in other posts, the hotel is not easy to find because you can only see its small sign when you are actually in front of it. An easy means to find it is to look for the "Subway"'s sign, which you can easily see in a distance as you are walking from the metro station to the hotel.

2. Room and other facilities: My room is adequate for dual occupancy, with a comfortable bed and wardrobe. Bath room is of a good size with basic items. Linen is clean and used towels are replenished everyday. The self controlled air conditioning is quite and functioning. Sound insulation is acceptable as ul Vosstaniya is only busy in the day time. Partitioning walls between rooms are thick enough to enable a quite sleep. As remarked by other posters, the hotel has no lift. We were accommodated on the second floor, which was in line with my request made before arrival. The check-in counter is on the third floor, while the breakfast room and the desk top computer for the guests are on the fifth floor. My floor has a common room furnished with a sink, coffee machine, water station, an ironing board, and other furniture and kitchen appliances.

3. Breakfast: For a hotel of this price range, it is a treat. Hot and cold meals are available. Guests may order an omelet or fried eggs prepared fresh from the kitchen.

4. Service: On this count I give the hotel the highest rating. I got my camera lens stolen from my bag in downtown SPB only 3 hours after arrival in the city. The lens had traveled with me to 55 countries in the past 30 years. It was stolen by a gang of 3 young men only a few minutes after its last use while I was crosing a busy street.. This was my first encounter in my travel life. My wife and friends went with me to a police post at a metro station. Between the policeman and me, there was no common language, but my facial expression and appearance told what I needed to tell the experienced policeman. He asked me to show my "card". My wife instantly knew that it was the hotel's business card, which she happened to have one in her bag. He rang the hotel and passed the phone to me. The hotel receptionist acted as a translator. At the end of the tri-partite conversation, the receptionist calmed me down, asked me to return to the hotel and assured me that the hotel would help me out. We went back to the hotel and found that Elena Egoryheva, head of the front office, had already got in touch with the police. She told the police what happened, explained to them that I did not speak any Russian and suggested that the police to take a statement from me at the hotel so that she could help. In the meantime, she sent us to the nearby "Subway" for a quick lunch. Upon our return, she told me that the policeman was unable to come to the hotel because he was busy and also he was not allowed to take the police official stamp away from the police station; the stamp was needed to stamp the letter which he was going to give me. I could perfectly understand the reasoning. Elena then checked with her supervisor to see whether one of her staff was allowed to go with me to the police station. Her supervisor had difficulty to agree with this, which I could also understand as I could see the level of staffing was thin. She then made an appointment with the policeman and found me a translator, who accompanied me and my wife to the police station traveling on metro. In no longer than 10 minutes on arrival at the police station, the policeman was able to receive us. We went through the standard procedure, including the attempt to identify the thefts by viewing the photos of the suspects. Eventually a police certificate of the incident was typed out to me and my translator got it translated into English. Then we went back to the hotel with the translator. The whole process, including transport, waiting, interviewing and writing the certificate, took about 95 minutes. Elena then helped me to phone up the insurance company at home, arranged to scan the police certificate and the translator's hand written script. Her staff also typed out the script for me. The translator was kind to me by offering a discount on his fee. Indeed, his fee was reasonable even without the discount., but that gesture was much appreciated. I feel it is necessary to report this incident on the Tripadvisor forum to let it be properly recognised so that guests intending to stay at Roses can rest assured that help will be readily available in any circumstances, though I sincerely hope that you will have a pleasant stay in SPB without having any hassles. I am also impressed with the friendliness of the two policemen whom I met..

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Fotan
Svet73, Head of Booking and Development Department at Roses Hotel, responded to this review, May 26, 2013
I would like to thank you for taking the time to complete the review for your recent visit to our property.
We really appreciate your positive notes related to type of service provided to you during your stay. You have quickly summarized in a very attractive interesting way the hotel facilities and the different activities taking place at Roses Hotel.
I would like to personally thank you for your feedback and we are looking forward to welcome you back once again in the next future occasion.
Warm Regards,
Svetlana Krotova
Head of Booking and Development Department
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2013

We stayed 5 nights in the quad room, which has 2 separate rooms, 1 bathroom and accommodates 4 people. This room is at the end of the 2nd floor hall way, which is quieter since the breakfast room is on the 2nd floor at the other end. Breakfast was fine. This was our first visit to St Petersburg and Russia in general. The building is older and it shows in the stairs and outside but they renovated 3 floors, there is NO elevator, and made them into hotel, which works. NEar metro and train stations, and high end Finnish supermarket in the corner - Stockman -, on the Nevsky Prospect Blvd, which is the main thoroughfare in the city. We could go to the supermarket or deli at the corner on Nevsky Prospect, which includes dept store and other restaurants and have high quality food, while exploring the city center on foot. Wifi was very weak in our room, so had to go to the breakfast room for stronger signal. Compared online to other hotels, this was best priced for our travel dates in city center near attractions, though walkable, about 30+ min to Hermitage Museum. Fascinating Imperial City which is alive into the late night.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank worldhk
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2013

Great location, just a short walk from the metro and all of the sights. Just far enough away from the main street to avoid the hustle and bustle. The staff was incredibly friendly, helpful, and accommodating. A great bang for your buck. I would definitely recommend Roses to anyone looking for a quiet night's sleep in the heart of St. Petersburg.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the 3rd floor
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple