Andrei and Sasha Homestay
$564
$425
Hotels.com
  • Restaurant
Kempinski Hotel Moika 22(St. Petersburg)
$455
$399
  • Restaurant
Petro Palace Hotel(St. Petersburg)
$227
  • Pool
$233
  • Pool
Helvetia Deluxe Hotel(St. Petersburg)
$220
$267
Agoda.com
$546
$535
See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed March 5, 2012

I have been traveling to St Petersburg on a yearly basis for 5 years now and I cannot imagine staying any other place than Andrei and Sasha´s - whether in Gohovaya or in Griboedova both apartments are terribly cool. Interieurs are stylish with a Venetian / Parisian touch. For those who have tried Russian hotels, you will understand that good taste and hotels rarely go together in that country.
Atmosphere is cosy, Jazz music in the back, discussions open, and it´s not rare that a local celebrity from the Philharmonic or the Marinsky pops by for dinner. Whether you want to share their table, Andrei and Sasha alway make you feel welcome - and expect the drinks flowing.

Apartments have different sized rooms. some with their own bathrooms, some with views on the Canal or on the church of St Isaac. When it comes to location, It´s hard to be more central since they both places are within 7-10min walking to Nevsky, the Hermitage, the Church of the Savior of the spilled blood etc.

I stayed there alone, and with my partner. Other guests are usually couples or single tourist. Wi-fi available in both apartments. Andrei and Sasha can recommend all the landmarks to go to, which places to grab a bite, or just what´s the latest concert in town. Arrangement for pick up at the airport or a the train station is also possible.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
7  Thank Nicolas L
Reviewed December 27, 2011

The apartment in which we stayed, had 4 rooms - one ensuite, 2 huge rooms with king size beds and one where the bed filled the whole room. The 3 non ensuite rooms share one bathroom. Our bedroom was one of the huge ones, overlooked the canal and was a delightful cross between versailles and bohemian boudior.
The living room/dining room/kitchen is the heart of the place - everyone congregates around it for breakfast (make your own), vodka drinking or just to chat. One of the evenings, we had a large communual dinner around the table, cooked by one of the guests. We also enjoyed blinis, caviar and an endless supply of vodka.
The location is excellent - it is 5 - 10 mins walk to most of the sites or the metro station. As mentioned below, there are 24 supermarkets, ATMs and restaurants in the same block. Andrei was very informative about where to go and what to do, marking everything on a map for us.
If you wanted to catch the bus to / from the airport, it is an easy 5 mins walk to the bus stop outside Sennaya Ploschad.
There is not a guest house or B&B - it is a homestay, so if mingling with the other guests is not your bag, then don't stay here. If you are wanting a warm, colourful, interactive experience, then go for it.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank LeeBZA
Reviewed December 22, 2011

I'm not sure where to start... I'd like to think that if I knew I'd have to climb over 95-stairs with a 50-pound suitcase, that I would have packed lighter, but, in reality, probably not :). I have to admit, Sasha's and Andrei's reputation preceeded them, and, I (as well as others staying there during my mid-November stay) were looking forward to meeting them, but did not. I can say, parents tell a lot about children, so, indeed, as I look back it was sad not to meet them, but, meeting/spending time with Andrei's mother (on the first night), and Sasha's parents (many times throughout my two week stay) I wouldn't trade for anything in the the World! Andrei's mother greeted us on the first night, and made lovely homemade Blini (I will say, the salmon cavier, did, cause some personal distress for me at a later time, but, it was no fault of Galena's ;)) - her smile and attempt to converse with us (the girlfriend traveling with me does speak Serbian, so, this helped immensely, though, not the same as Russian) was priceless after 27-hours of travel (oh, and the Vodka too :)). We had several occasions to interact with Sasha's parents... in St. Petersburg (unfortunately, Svetlana had to rescue us because a fellow traveler locked the door inproperly from the inside - at last we knew why Galena spent so much time "schooling" us) and in the "Village." The accompanying trip to the "Village" where Sasha's parents have a home and a private "Russian Banya," is something I wouldn't trade, literally, for almost anything in the World (except maybe "World Peace" (seriously)... and the way she fed us, I'll never, in all of my life, forget (I can't wait to try out my Pelmeni lessons). My traveling partner friend and I also met great travelers from Canada and California (right next door to our Arizona) - we'll never forget them! Go to St. Petersburg, for sure (of course, see the Hermitage (but don't miss the Russian Museum), the Meriinsky Theater, and literally every building you see - also recommend Novgorod, our traveling companions from California did a much better job of seeing all there is to see), stay at Andre and Sasha Homestay, go to the "Village" to experience Sasha's parents' home and real Russian Banya... if you are looking for a real experience (i.e. not a stay at the Four Season's - which could be special in its own different way). I regret having NO photos of Vitaly, Sasha's father, he is yet another amazing Russian and he shared probably some of the most interesting photos I've ever seen (he was a helicopter engineer). I, seriously, plan on returning (especially since I dreamed of snow for my trip to Russia, and, all I got was rain)! I also have to give "kudos" to Andrei's and Sasha's friend Serge, one of the most erudite people I've ever met (that's a huge compliment)... and he was willing to share Borscht made by his mother (and share his adapted recipe with us - which I have on Video and look forward to making, SOON)

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with friends
8  Thank Buddles1
Reviewed June 30, 2011

cannot recommend highly enough, the room was huge, opulent and gorgeous. Andrei and Sasha are amazing hosts, lots of recommendations and advise, salmon on the fire with other guests and friends one night, and another morning home made blinis, caviar and frozen vodka for breakfast! Money machine handy and supermarket close enough to pop out for more beer :). On same canal as Church of the Spilt Blood (2 blocks away) and close to metro, would recommend to all

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled solo
7  Thank kiwichristina
Reviewed June 12, 2011

Not only was Sasha a cordial host, she recommended that we stay up and see the bridges raised, which was one of the highlights of the trip. We were two blocks from the Hermitage and had convenient access to 24-hour grocery stores. We enjoyed the decor, which made us feel like we were at home instead of staying in a foreign city. The dishwasher and washing machine made things very comfortable. The entry to the apartment was the only (minor) downside since it involved navigating a narrow alleyway cluttered with construction debris and a questionable-smelling hallway. We were incredibly happy with the drinks we had on the roof, the fascinating collection of leisure reading and the generous supply of vodka. We would recommend this place to anyone going to St. Pete.

Room Tip: The 2-brdm apt is convenient to everything
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family