“Very convenient location and good rates for what is a costly city to stay in.”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Stay OK Hostel on Nevsky
Melbourne, Australia
“Very convenient location and good rates for what is a costly city to stay in.”
Reviewed December 6, 2011

This was my first time staying in a hostel so I don't have much to compare with. That said, the rates were really cheap: around $US20 per night (cash only though), compared to $US80 for something really basic in what is a pricey city to stay in. It is in a really good location too, right on the main strip Nevsky Prospekt and only a short walk from the main train station.

I was lucky enough to meet up with two Finns, one of whom spoke Russian which was very useful since the hostess didn't speak any English. She was civil though, which is definitely a plus considering some of the rude customer service Russians are known for (rightly or wrongly) and able to accommodate me without a prior booking. She likes people following the etiquette (shoes off at the door etc), but that is not such a bad thing in my books, and goes with the territory.

There are two main rooms and you have to walk through the middle one to get to the back one. This could prove rather inconvenient if like us you were in the back; or intrusive for the people sleeping in the in-between room. Wasn't a problem for us though, because there were only a few others in the hostel that night. Rooms were definitely no frills but not uncomfortable. I was also allowed to sleep in as late as I wanted which to me is a HUGE plus.

Breakfast is just serve-yourself-cereal etc but quite a cosy kitchenette. Hostess made sure I had what I needed too.

Wi-fi was accessible for free, with a password (at least in the kitchen. I didn't try in the rooms).

I actually felt quite comfortable here, more so than I have in some hotels in all truth. I don't know what it would be like full though. This was midsummer too so I am thinking I lucked it. Given the same circumstances I would definitely return though.

Room Tip: Make sure you map out where this place is beforehand, as it can be quite hard to locate. Hostel is u...