“Weird!”

Ranked #19 of 344 Hotels in St. Petersburg
Geneva, Switzerland
“Weird!”
Reviewed March 6, 2014

The best thing about this hotel is the bed, and that is it! Sorry, and the bathroom amenities, great shower gel and shampoo, but otherwise, avoid this overpriced, small, ill conceived wannabee W that will never liv up to the true ethos of the brand. Russians might find this a funkt new kind of hotel, but those of us who travel will quickly realise this is no real W. Small, pathetic lobby, ridiculously over priced restaurant with mediocre food at best, and poor food more the norm. This is a sorry example of a brand that should stand for unique life style experience. There are far better in St. Pete, including 4 Seasons, Kempinski, Astoria, D`Angleterre, Corinthia, Radisson Royal, shack across the passage, basically anything is better.

One exception, in the summer, the best bar is on the W roof!!! Other than that, avoid. Shame there is no direct lift so you could avoid the hotel lobby and all the associated wannabees!!!

Room Tip: None, go to another hotel!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Frenchflyer48
W_St_Petersburg, General Manager at W St. Petersburg, responded to this review, March 11, 2014
Dear Frenchflyer48,
Thank you the review of your stay at W St. Petersburg and your loyalty to W Hotels Worldwide. I am sorry you didn't like our lobby and French contemporary cuisine in miX in St. Petersburg restaurant by Alain Ducasse. On the positive note I am glad you liked miXup bar & Terrace on the rooftop and bliss amenities in your room. I appreciate all your comments and we are constantly working on improving guest's experience. I hope you will come back for bliss spa or miXup Terrace next summer and you will be able to enjoy our hotel.

Mario Habicher

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed March 1, 2014

I stayed here for 5 days on Starwood reward points. The staff was very friendly and attentive - on short notice they were able to arrange 3 days of private tours around the city, as well as all our transportation needs (we went to the Mariinsky every night, and were always dropped off and picked up by the hotel.). Regarding transportation, the hotel Porsche SUVs are very expensive, but we were able to request a regular sedan for a price just moderately more than a taxi with none of the hassle or safety concerns. The hotel is centrally located, and the rooms as expected for a W, with very comfortable beds. I would definitely stay here again the next time I'm in St. Petersburg.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
W_St_Petersburg, General Manager at W St. Petersburg, responded to this review, March 7, 2014
Dear Flipper775,
Thank you very much for your review of W St. Petersburg. I am very happy to hear that we keep up with W Hotels worldwide. Our Concierge team is honored to hear your positive feedback on their job with city tours and transportation.
We hope to see you again for the White Nights season in summer.

Moscow, Russia
Reviewed March 1, 2014

over all my stay was just ok. comfortable room, lots of unnecessary conveniences but lacking closet space for clothes, not very attentive bar and restaurant staff, average (at best) breakfast, gym is very very small.

Dear Aleevskidm,
Thank you for your comment on your recent stay at W St. Petersburg. I am sorry to hear that you were not impressed with our breakfast in miX in St. Petersburg restaurant and FIT gym. If you decide to come back let us know, so our W Insider will prepare more options for you to choose from. We hope to see you again at W St. Petersburg.

Reviewed February 28, 2014 via mobile

The hotel has an excellent position which can hardly be bettered. The room was good sized and well laid out and the staff were certainly all smiles and extremely helpful however . . . .
What I DID NOT appreciate was ordering a taxi (through the hotel) and eventually finding out that my taxi driver (who naturally spoke no english) had NOT been briefed as to which part of the airport I needed to go to. I certainly feel that the hotel, where language barriers are known to exist, should make certain are clear and confirmed avoiding unnecessary stress forthe out-bound traveller.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank RaymondB
Dear RaymondB,
Thank you for your comment on your recent stay at W St. Petersburg. I am sorry to hear that there was a miscommunication between our hotel and a taxi company regarding new airport terminals. I do appreciate your comment and will try to focus on that. I am also happy to hear that you liked our staff and central location.
We hope to see you again!

Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed February 23, 2014

Excellent hotel in a superb location with friendly staff which is not common throughout Russia. The hotel has an excellent, albeit small, fitness room with state-of-the art equipment. The spa, pool and steam room is also fantastic.

Room Tip: If it's available, definitely ask for a room with a view of St. Issacs Cathedral.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
W_St_Petersburg, General Manager at W St. Petersburg, responded to this review, February 26, 2014
Dear Gene L,

Thank you for the nice comment on your recent stay at W St. Petersburg. I am very happy that you have noticed the friendliness of our team. I am also glad you have enjoyed your daily workout in our FIT gym as well as a swim in WET in bliss spa.
We hope you get back to us for the White Nights season.

Ankara, Turkey
Reviewed February 22, 2014

I spent 3 weeks there for a work trip recently and was extremely happy with my choice. I have been traveling off and on to Russia for over 20 years. I hadn't been back to St. Petersurg for a while and had to go for work. I'm glad I picked the W over other luxury hotels. I chose the W, not looking for a bargain, but because I knew I would be well taken care of there. At the end of a work day, i wanted to come back to somewhere I knew would have great room service (if i wanted it), friendly staff, and where the room would just be delightfully comfy. I found all of this and more. I see in other reviews some folks were less than happy. I also see that the General Manager takes the time to personally respond to these reviews. And it seems policy is changes. For example, internet and WiFi. I don't know if it was because I was staying 3 weeks, but my wifi fees were waived. I can't speak to the pool but I certainly made use of the gym which was fine (and free of charge).

Location - is fantastic. I wanted to be downtown near the Hermitage but needed access to transportation. I speak Russian but even if I didn't the staff was super helpful (more later). The metro was only 2 blocks or so from the hotel, a very useful bus stop was right outside and I was 2-3 blocks from Nevsky Propsekt, the main street in town. If one does not want to dine in the hotel, I found a LOT of choices within 3 blocks, offering a wide variety of food at a wide variety of proces - everything from a cafeteria (Russian only!) to cute French bistros, Georgian Restaurants, Asian food, and Indian food.

Comfort - the main reason I chose this hotel. I wanted to stay somewhere nice, somewhere comfortable for the 3 weeks I was going to be there. The room was simply lovely and I have to admit, I am now a fan of the W Hotel bedding.

Staff - amazingly friendly and helpful. I mean they really went out of their way to answer my questions, help me get around town and offer their assistance. In the past, Russia did not have a great reputation (or any for that matter) for customer service. The W certainly proves that is changing about Russia. I was really surprised and impressed.

Breakfast - it was nice. Was it the most amazing breakfast I had ever had? No, but I did not get it every day either. I will say the staff of the Living Room (the lounge in the lobby) make amazing smoothies and great lattes. I usually grabbed a smoothie and a coffee in the mornings rather than full breakfast.

As I said, I stay at places like the W for different reasons than I stay at budget hotels or B&Bs. I really enjoyed my stay and would gladly come back again.

Room Tip: It doesn't seem like the rooms have much of a view (I wouldn't know since I was on the 5th f...
2 Thank vchittenden
Dear Vchittenden,

Thank you very much for taking your time to write such a nice comment on your stay at W St. Petersburg. I am really glad to hear that you have enjoyed our central location, the interior by Antonio Citterio and our signature W bed. Moreover, I am happy that our team created a friendly atmosphere for you, while you were in Russia.

We hope you get back to W St. Petersburg, your home away home.

London
Reviewed February 20, 2014

The W is a trendy hotel in a great location. I found the design of the hotel really fun, and thought the rooms were top-notch.

Whilst WiFi is free in the lobby, you have to pay for it your own room. Readers will have their own views on whether a decent hotel should charge an additional fee for such a basic service, but I'd rather stay with one of the many hotels that offer complimentary internet for their guests.

The theme of getting overcharged continued to the swimming pool - this was the first hotel I've ever stayed that charged extra for hotel guests to us the pool. Finally I found breakfast was surprisingly expensive for a rather average offering.

Reading through the comments, I see that other guests have raised exactly the same points... How many more hints does the W need to re-think some of its charges?

2 Thank GazMan012
W_St_Petersburg, General Manager at W St. Petersburg, responded to this review, February 21, 2014
Dear GazMan012,
Thank you for your comment on your recent stay at W St. Petersburg. I am happy to hear that you liked the hotel design and your room in particular. However, I am sorry to hear that you were disappointed with the charges for wifi and swimming pool. Let me kindly inform you, that WET area is bliss spa is complimentary for guests booking any treatment on that day and for Starwood Preferred Guest members WiFi in the room can be paid with points or even chosen as a complimentary benefit. I hope this information might be useful for your in future, so your next stay in our hotel will be impeccable.