“W St. Petersburg”
Review of W St. Petersburg

W St. Petersburg
Ranked #18 of 361 Hotels in St. Petersburg
Reviewed November 11, 2013

I was surprised to see a very lovely hotel in St. Petersburg , interiors plus their rooms and the feel of the hotel is something I look forward to and this hotel did not disappoint me . The staff where all friendly and accommodating , plus they can speak English which is a plus factor for us who cannot speak Russian . The location is perfect since it's close to most of the tourist attraction sites , especially the Hermitage which is a must see! So if ever I get a chance to go back I will definitely stay there again!

Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Wencerom
Write a ReviewReviews (1,188)

Reviewed November 10, 2013

After staying 4 nights at the quite outdated Hotel National in Moscow, arriving at the W St Petersburg was extremely refreshing. The amenities, the fun décor and the super friendly staff were a welcome sight. My request for a higher floor with a nice view was granted which was awesome as I got a slight view of St Isaac's Cathedral, and the Four Seasons across the road which is in a lovely historical building. However, the "Talent Entrance" for the nightclub was right across from my room so I was glad to not be staying over the weekend. The nightclub looks like an awesome place to be in the summer time with the outdoor cabanas and amazing city views.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor and a nice view and they are accommodating if possible.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed November 1, 2013

I had a horrible morning leading up to my stay. The minute I walked into the door, I felt at peace. The front desk staff was so friendly and helpful. I was upgraded to an amazing suite with a bottle of wine and a welcome card. The room was modern, spacious and had all the amenities I would expect from a W property. My only regret is that I didn't get to try the Mix restaurant which I heard is one of the best in the city. The front desk staff kindly recommended a back up restaurant in town that was so good, we ended up eating there twice in a day. I have stayed at many Starwood properties but in terms of overall service, amenities and design, this one is certainly in my top five favorite properties.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Lewis C
Reviewed October 30, 2013

PROS

> good location
> the hotel is new - everything is nice and clean

CONS

> not a big fun of W's aggressive design (bright white walls & furniture)
> internal courtyard view is rather depressing
> the hotel was a bit deserted

Room Tip: not facing internal courtyard
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
W_St_Petersburg, Public Relations Manager at W St. Petersburg, responded to this reviewResponded October 31, 2013

Dear Jevgenijs Z,
Thank you for your comment on your recent stay at W St. Petersburg. I am sorry to hear you didn't like our modern design by Antonio Citterio, but I am happy you have enjoyed the hotel facilities & our perfect location.
We hope to host you again in summer, so you can feel the vibe of lively high season.

Reviewed October 28, 2013

We stayed there in June 2012. Loved the location and the proximity to the river/ center. Tiny rooms, but super stylish - as per W.. Amazing rooftop with a trendy lounge to enjoy the white nights. Would come back again!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Yuli2013,
Thank you for your positive review and you loyalty to W Hotels Worldwide.
Let us know in advance about your upcoming visit, so our W Insider will prepare some interesting tips for you to explore beautiful St. Petersburg.

Reviewed October 27, 2013

Surprised my partner with a trip to St Petersburg as a 50th birthday present. We initially booked into the "Rossi boutique hotel" as we wanted something with some local character however changed hotel after the first night as there was nothing boutique about the hotel.

We booked into the W we had stayed in the W in Barcelona and Paris. The hotel looks great and is in a perfect location (as are all W's) so we can't really fault the hotel (though my only comment is that they tend to place things on every single surface in the room, leaving little place to put down your personal belongs). The roof terrace is great. The only serious problem is the city itself. As beautiful as it architecture might be, it the only place I have even been to where it feels very depressing and completely soulless on the streets. I have been to other ex communist countries and always enjoyed those places and their character, yet in this city all that is completely lacking. You feel wonderful whilst in the hotel but that warm feeling disappears within minutes of leaving it. Lovely architecture but the locals are mostly unpleasant, unfriendly and unhelpful. I know this is a big statement but we have travelled a lot all over the world and this is the first time were we have ever felt as if the place was lacking a soul. The whole city was so disappointing that we actaully paid £ 500.- to come home earlier and stayed 3 nights instead of 5. It was all the more disappointing as this was a surprise trip.

Would I ever go back to this hotel or city? absolutely not, there are so many other cities with just as much interesting museums and architected that are much nicer, interesting and welcoming.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
W_St_Petersburg, Guest Relations Manager at W St. Petersburg, responded to this reviewResponded October 31, 2013

Dear TrevorRoy,
Thank you for you comment on your recent stay at W St. Petersburg and your loyalty to W Hotels Worldwide.
I am sorry to hear that you were disappointed with the city and didn't feel the soul of St. Petersburg. On the positive note I am glad that you have enjoyed W St. Petersburg, especially miXup Terrace on the rooftop and our central location.
If you decide to give St. Petersburg another chance, let us know in advance, so our Concierge will prepare a customized plan for you to explore a friendly side of the city.

Reviewed October 23, 2013

Worth the price. Welcoming receptionists, best service providers, nice location, good quality breakfast and overall - "w quality at its best". Best recommendaions.
The only minus I found is the keys that were sometimes not working properly in the elevator. However, this should be fixed easily.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Ekaterina L,
Thank you for your positive review of W St. Petersburg. I am happy to hear you appreciated exclusive tips from our W Insiders and the warm approach from our staff in general.
We hope to host you again soon.