“The best choice in STP - location, staff all top notch and the only SPG”
Review of W St. Petersburg

W St. Petersburg
Ranked #21 of 336 Hotels in St. Petersburg
England
“The best choice in STP - location, staff all top notch and the only SPG”
Reviewed January 22, 2013

Very cool ( as with all W hotels) and possibly a bit flash for one of my business meetings but the staff and the location are the making of this W. The rooms look like a window display from a trendy Danish furniture shop

Despite previous visits I forgot W rooms have super soft beds, often have showers instead of baths and my view of the back was a wall but I was on business and sadly on my own. W's are made for romance. For the price ( big discount found online) I was very happy. They gave me free wifi in the room as a welcome gift for SPG Gold membership but there's free wifi in the lobby cafe and top bar. They also dont have free water in the rooms anymore and charge 600RUB to use the pool. As you cannot drink the water I did feel that this deserved a complaint but ended up paying 800RUB for two bottles in my room.

The "miX" ( sic) Restaurant in the hotel is one of Alain Ducasse's feted openings and is very highly rated with high prices to match - think £100 a head. I didnt go as I was on a recession busting business expenses budget but found some great local Russian places to eat and used the excellent room service as I hadnt slept that well on the train from Moscow. How often do you see a perfect hand picked out rocket salad, pert, beautifully dressed and seasoned next to a room service toasted ham and cheese sandwich? Not often.

A few pointers; there are some fabulous local places that serve much better breakfasts for 25% of the price here ( Cafe Zoom especially), theres free coffee 6 am to 10 am that you can take away at the ground floor bar and the famous miX restauarant does a good value fast 6 mini course lunch

All in all the perfect base to explore St P as the best thing about this hotel is that you dont have to run the gauntlet of using the 99% dodgy taxis, it is so central you can walk in seconds/ minutes to all the top spots and museums. Its so close that some rooms have great views of them if this is important to you

Room Tip: Join SPG, get upgraded, some are shower only, many rooms have amazing views, ask them before you set...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
W_St_Petersburg, General Manager at W St. Petersburg, responded to this review, January 24, 2013
Dear UKBoyDKGirl,
Thank you so much for your positive feedback regarding your stay at W St. Petersburg. I’m glad you liked out talents and highly estimated their service. Thank you for your loyalty to SPG Programme – here at W St. Petersburg we use every opportunity to recognize guests SPG statuses and provide them with a room upgrade or with a nice little surprise. Getting back to your comment about water – for our Gold SPG members we bring a bottle of water in the room free of charge. I apologize if this benefit was not properly communicated to you or if this water was not enough. On a positive side I’m glad you liked our location in the historical center of the city. I hope when you come next time you will get the room with a bird’s eye view of the city.
Peter Katusak-Huzsvar

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (124)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed January 11, 2013

This hotel exceeded our expectations. The room on the 8th floor was beyond comfortable with so many small functions that made it better than the average hotel room. Everything was clean, bed was extra cozy. Hotel staff were exceptional. We dined at the restaurant for dinner and breakfast and could not speak highly enough of the ambience, menu, food and service. We will definitely continue to use this chain!

Room Tip: We had the Marvellous room, chosen because it include a 6pm check out.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank lizh88
W_St_Petersburg, General Manager at W St. Petersburg, responded to this review, January 21, 2013
Dear lizh88,
Thank you so much for your feedback to us regarding your recent stay at W St. Petersburg. I’m very glad that we could manage to impress you with our service and rooms. Thank you for feedback to our restaurant miX in St. Petersburg. It is managed by the team of a famous chef Alain Ducasse. They are always ready to provide the best culinary experience to guests. They also have their page on Tripadvisor and they would be happy to get your recommendation.
Moscow, Russia
Reviewed January 9, 2013

A very modern "hip" hotel, too modern for my taste. Everything new, nice, shining and a little arificial. Very nice welcoming team, smiling and making you feel comfortable.

Nice rooms and beds. Not very nice car access - no parking space. Somewhat expensive.

Breakfast nice, but somewhat slow. Omelette takes 20 mins to arrive, but yes, Alain Ducasse have been here. Many eating places around (more reasonably priced), including 2 very nice cakes and pastry places. 10 minutes to Hermitage, 1 minute to St. Isaaks - tourisly convenient.

Stayed here, as no other SPG hotel exists in St. Petersburg.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Vasily_from_Moscow
Dear Vasily_from_Moscow,
Thank you for your loyalty to Starwood Preferred Guest program and for your comments regarding your recent stay at W St. Petersburg. I’m glad you liked our Welcome team and our rooms. As for the breakfast I will share your comment with the restaurant team. We are constantly looking for the ways to improve our dining services and for those who prefers really quick breakfasts I recommend our W Café in the lobby area of the hotel on your next stay.
Looking forward to see you soon,
Moscow
Reviewed January 6, 2013 via mobile

What I can say? It's 100% W hotel, with its perfect service and modern designs, with comfortable rooms and stunning view!!! As muscovite i've been to St Pete so many times but my stay in W is the only one that was really great, mainly due to the hotel. Location is just perfect, center of city with my favorites places to walk. Next door is amazing restaurant and you can drink champagne watching one of the most incredible cathedrals in the city. Bar on the roof with nice DJs is created for relaxing day cocktails and crazy night parties.
If i decide to go again to St Pete my choice can be only W.

Stayed October 2012
2 Thank Tkimka
W_St_Petersburg, General Manager at W St. Petersburg, responded to this review, January 11, 2013
Dear Dreamy_Piglet,
Thank you for you feedback about your recent stay at W St. Petersburg! I’m glad you found the hotel that perfectly matches your personality and style. The miXup bar that we have on the top has a great view indeed, and it is a trendy party place. During the summer time we will open our roof terrace just above the bar – you are invited to visit it as well to enjoy fantastic food, drinks and parties over there. Thank you for your loyalty and I’m looking forward to see you again,
Worcester, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 6, 2013

We stayed here as I had won this trip with work. Would I choose such a modern hotel myself? Probably not. We had just come from Moscow and the Ritz Carlton and there really is no comparison to the comforts they offered. Too clinical and sterile for me, the breakfasts were poor compared to the ritz Carlton. We had a mega room, upgraded because of a hiccup on the tour, I would not have wanted to stay in a basic room. We arrived, about 80 of us, and the concierge could not cope with getting bags to our room. After 30 minutes waiting we gave up and went back downstairs and collected them ourselves!
Bathroom modern but could not watch the tv from the bath as poorly located.
On the plus side, the roof top bar is stunning and if you get blue sky days spend an hour or two up here, relaxing on the day beds. Also, great to experience the white nights of St Petersburg.
If you like modern, book it. If you prefer something more luxurious look into the 4 seasons which s opening next door. They were working on this whilst we were there and I think it will be stunning!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank wanderingstarsx2
Dear wanderingstarsx2,
Thank you for your feedback to W St. Petersburg. I apologize with the delay with you luggage – sometimes it takes longer to deliver luggage to the guest room if the guest arrived with the large group. On the positive side thank you for recommending our roof-top terrace: you are absolutely right – it’s a perfect place for white nights!
Ascoli Piceno, Italy
Reviewed January 1, 2013

Brand new hotel, hip, design hotel. Perfect location in old St Petersburg City Center. Walking distance to the main attraction, first of all the Hermitage Museum. It's well known. Sometimes the service is slow, but it' s the local style everywhere. I can also say that generally people are very kind and helpful.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Stefania G
Dear Stefania G,
Thank you for your positive feedback to W St. Petersburg. You are right that the location is in the very heart of the city and it is just perfect for sightseeing - I hope you managed to see a lot of beautiful places around and really enjoyed your stay with us.
New York City, New York
Reviewed December 31, 2012 via mobile

Modern new gorgeous hotel, right in the middle of ancient St. Petersburg. Loved the hotel. It is right near the Hermitage. Loved St. Petersburg. The hotel was a great safe haven from the touring all day in these old buildings. Then at night you come back to this beautiful modern hotel with delicious cheesecake in the lobby.

The food at the restaurant was amazing. There are a lot of restaurants in St Petersburg, but you must try the one at the hotel.

I upgraded to a large suite and had several spa treatments. I'm in love! Lol.

Thank you, W and all your staff!

• Stayed June 2012
1 Thank aabadi
Dear aabadi,
Thank you so much for your feedback! Sounds like you’ve got very busy and interesting time in St. Petersburg. I’m glad you took chance to visit our restaurant miX in St. Petersburg, our W Café in the lobby area and also found time to relax at our signature Bliss spa. We are waiting for you to come back soon to beautiful St. Petersburg. Next time please come up to the 8th floor where we have our terrace and bar with fantastic views to the city – I’m sure you would like it!