“Excellent”
Review of W St. Petersburg

W St. Petersburg
Ranked #19 of 359 Hotels in St. Petersburg
Reviewed November 8, 2012

Checking into W is very pleasurable experience - they make one feel like a prince. I stayed in a Marvellous room for 3 nights - quite spacious and luxurious. I personally had doubts about the slightly camp and rather modern decoration set up in the room, but it does not distract from the quality or comfort of the room. Iphone ready boom-box by the bed and massive top quality towels in the bathroom are little things which improve the experience even more.
Service is very good.
This hotel has a pretty good gym - all the stuff needed in terms of weights and aerobic machines, and it is all actually working and looked after.
There is no off street parking, but for most people who visit Petersburg this is probably not a problem.
This place makes you feel good!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Craigmoto
W_St_Petersburg, General Manager at W St. Petersburg, responded to this reviewResponded November 20, 2012

Dear Craigmoto,
Thank you very much for your review regarding your recent stay at W St. Petersburg.
I am pleased to hear that you have enjoyed our service, room and decor, as well as our gym.
We are looking forward to welcome you again.

Reviewed October 31, 2012

We did recently have a very comfortable stay at the W in St Petersburg. The hotel was absolute fantastic! The service was outstanding; a warm welcome by the front desk, helpful staff at all levels, at all times, great food, quick service at in-room dining. Terrific king size soft bed!!

The hotel is perfectly located in the city; near to the Winterpalace and the shopping street. Great hotel for both business travellers, couples and friends.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank 102,012
W_St_Petersburg, General Manager at W St. Petersburg, responded to this reviewResponded November 4, 2012

Dear 102012,

Thank you very much for your review regarding your stay at W St. Petersburg. It's a pleasure to hear that you had a great experience during your visit.
I am glad you have enjoyed our service and location, as well as the signature W bed where waking up is absolutely wonderful.
I am looking welcome you at W St. Petersburg again.

Reviewed October 30, 2012

I stayed at the W St. Petersburg in July 2012 while visiting Russia for the first time.

The excellent - the location is a great one. Close to the Hermitage Museum, St. Isaac's Cathedral, Nevsky Prospect main street, and most of the major historical sights and attractions, yet it's on a quieter street a few blocks away from the loud noise and traffic on Nevsky Prospect. Awesome view of St. Petersburg and St. Isaac's Cathedral from the rooftop terrace bar. Another excellent thing is that the hotel was very prompt in issuing me the invitation that is required when applying for a visa to visit Russia. They issued it within 24 hours of me making my reservation, which I found very impressive.

The good - the public areas and the rooms are very comfortable and clean. The service is very friendly and energetic, if a little disorganized sometimes. A number of the staff members struggle a bit with English, but they try very hard nonetheless.

The OK - the pool and the hot tub were OK, but the temps were a little chilly. The fitness center was OK, nothing special. The rooftop terrace bar had enthusiastic service, but it was a little disorganized, with long waits for drinks, even when it was not very crowded. Also, after being seated in the bar, I was asked by the wait staff to move two separate times in order to accommodate other guests - not a big deal nor an inconvenience - was happy to oblige but found this a little odd.

The bad - Internet access is very limited at this hotel, at least for many American news and commercial sites. Perhaps this is more of an issue of Russian government restrictions on the Internet for foreigners, and maybe not something the hotel imposed. But be warned that accessing even basic US news sites can be extremely limited. The hotel was also a little too trendy for my tastes. Yes, I knew going into my stay that this was a W, so I expected it to be trendy, but I don't think it's necessary to play the club music in the hallways everywhere you go. Also, breakfast is massively overpriced ($45 USD per person for the buffet), and the hotel itself is extremely expensive for virtually everything - room rates, drinks at the rooftop terrace bar, etc.

Overall, I give this hotel an average rating, because I think that while the location is excellent and the hotel is very clean and comfortable, the hotel could definitely use some improvement in its service and also be a better value.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank laker777

Dear grsurfer,
Thanks so much for sharing your detailed review regarding your W St. Petersburg experience. I am sorry to hear that we couldn't meet your expectations.
The internet connection in the hotel is 90 mbps, which is quite a good speed to surf websites, but I will review this with the IT and see if there is anything wrong from our end. Also will share with your other comments with the team to improve all areas and exceed your expectations on your next visit.
On a positive note, I am glad that you have enjoyed the location and our comfortable rooms.
Looking forward to see you at the W St. Petersburg again.

Reviewed October 29, 2012

This W property is relatively new. Being a Platinum member, they upgraded me to a suite! (Love the way Starwood treats its Platinum members!) Needless to say, the W Suite is extremely lovely and comfortable, so much so that it was so difficult to step out of my comfortable room.

The W properties almost guarantee great service and excellent rooms (I've stayed at the ones in Bali and Hong Kong prior to this). And this hotel has an awesome location, situated just next to the St. Isaac's Cathedral, and 10 minutes walk to the Hermitage/Winter Palace, and near to numerous cute cafes and great restaurants. It is a mere 15 minutes drive to the Train Station too. Taxis are readily available at the entrance of the hotel, and the hotel staff helped us negotiate a good rate to take us to the train station (around 600 roubles), so it was effortless. We walked around everywhere in St. Petersburg, thanks to the hotel's awesomely convenient and centralized location.

I enjoyed my stay tremendously and would highly recommend this property to all travellers!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends

Dear nemrac_coco,

Thank you for sharing your review about W St. Petersburg. I am happy to hear you enjoyed your SPG platinum benefits at our hotel.
It's good to hear you liked the service, comfort of the room and our location. And thank you for recommending us to other travelers.
Hope to see you at W St. Petersburg soonest.

Reviewed October 29, 2012

Many hotels have great rooms or great service, but the most important is a great location. Fortunatley the W has all three, location, service and rooms were all great.
We have never been to St Peterburg before and like many tourists we came to see the sights. The hotel is located in the Historic quarter where the vast majority of sights were located, and most were within walking distance. The Hermitage which is a must see is only 5 minutes away.

We went in May, and a number of comments on Tripadvisor at the time criticized the service at the hotel, we had no problems at all, if anything the service was better than most 5 star hotels we have stayed in Europe. As the hotel is quite new I suspect there may have been some teething problems in the early months but am pleased to report the hotel seems to have overcome these problems.
Rooms were great also, I liked the TV in my bathroom mirror and the rain forest shower was a nice touch. The bed was superb and very comfortable.
We like the ground floor bar with fireplace but were disappointed in the bar on the top floor which lacked atmosphere and was a little pokey. The bar on the roof had not opened but the staff let us have a quick look, it was impressive and with great views of the dome of St Isaacs Cathedral. The spa was a little small as was the pool.
All in all a great experience and we highly recommend the W and look forward to staying again.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank AvidTraveler12

Dear AvidTraveler12,
Thank you very much for your review regarding your experience at W St. Petersburg.
I am glad to hear that you enjoyed our service, rooms and the location, and looking forward to welcome you back in the future to W St. Petersburg.

Reviewed October 28, 2012

I was bit worried when I booked W St Petersburg as I wanted have quiet time in the hotel (Most of W has trendy party atmosphere and loud music from downstairs bar) but this hotel certainly has best of both world, good bar with music, yet quiet room.

Very nice room and great amenities you would expect from W, only negative comments is that concierge is useless (young lads who have no idea). I ordered taxi through them and it delayed by 40minutes, claiming due to traffic jam (which was not true). Also telephone charge is ridiculously high, I was calling Russian domestic toll free number but was charged 40EUR for it, how nice...

Overall, hotel is great, but service requires improvement, I will be tempted to try other good hotels in the vicinity for my next trip to St Petersburg.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business

Dear WellWiseTraveller,
Thank you very much for sharing your feedback regarding your stay at W St. Petersburg.
I am sorry to hear that we couldn't deliver your expectations in terms of the concierge services. I will also review your telephone bill, as we are not charging for the toll free calls from the hotel. Please feel free to reach out to me at GMPeter.Katusak-huzsvar@whotels.com if you want to discuss this further.
On a positive note, I am happy to hear that you had a good night sleep, as we are taking all measures to make sure the music is not affecting a good night sleep at W St. Petersburg.
I am looking forward to welcome you back soonest.

Reviewed October 25, 2012

We have just stayed at the W, Peter the manager was fantastic, the staff were amazing... They helped us get where we needed, helped when we needed a translator, booked and recommended restaurants and places to go. The food in the hotel was delicious, the beds super comfortable and the whole experience made us feel very welcome in a city we didn't know. I would thoroughly recommend the W as a hotel, good location, tourist advice and insider info of St Petersburg....I will be coming back, and my husband agrees, and we will stay here when we do.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business

Dear Rosemary F,
Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay at W St. Petersburg, it was a pleasure to have you with us.
I am glad to hear that you had a wonderful experience at W St. Petersburg, and enjoyed everything from the food to the insider tips of St. Petersburg.
Looking forward to see you soon.