“Best W Hotel...Period”
Review of W St. Petersburg

W St. Petersburg
Ranked #19 of 359 Hotels in St. Petersburg
Reviewed August 19, 2012

Ok. Normally, I think of W Hotels as good vibe, but a lil cheap on the overall construction quality and the service. The W St Pete blows both of those opinions out of the water. Great hotel. My first choice in St. Pete.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
W_St_Petersburg, General Manager at W St. Petersburg, responded to this reviewResponded August 28, 2012

Dear Jason M,

Thank you very much for your feedback regarding your stay.
We are delegated to hear your acknowledgement about the construction quality and our service level.
Looking forward to welcome you again.

Best Regards,

Reviewed August 18, 2012

One day after checking into the W St P'burg, I just happened to check pending charges on the credit card I used to secure the reservation -- The W had charged an amount more than twice my room rate. when I spoke with billing Dep't, they said they'd added charges in anticipation of my eating meals, using spa services at the hotel -- none of which I intended to do. Of course, I wanted to correct it before leaving the country, but she suggested I wait until check-out. I mulled this over and decided rip-off is the same in any language or country and went again to the desk the next day and asked for a signed note on W stationery that the charge is incorrect -- just in case I get home and am faced with removing the charge across country borders. When you stay at The W, CHECK ALL CHARGES during your stay -- don't assume things will be accurate on check-out.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank HappyCamper821
W_St_Petersburg, General Manager at W St. Petersburg, responded to this reviewResponded August 20, 2012

Dear HappyCamper821,
Thank you so much for bringing up this to our attention, and it was a pleasure to talk to you in person and solve this issue a day before your departure. It is a standard industrial procedure to pre-authorize credit cards for the extras that may occur during the stay and to use the same authorization for payment. We apologize for the inconvenience and let me assure you that all the money transactions in our hotel are transparent and your bill will be accurate on check-out.

Have a nice stay,

Reviewed August 18, 2012

I really debated - is this a 3 star or a 4 star. Location is excellent. A short walk from the Hermitage, the canals, Church of the Spilled Blood, and across street from St. Isaacs. Breakfast was a nice buffet of the usual items including eggs, meats, pastries, fruits, etc. I discovered I had left an item at the Hermitage and asked the concierge to call and see if it had been found. It had and she sent a runner over to pick it up. There was some noise off of the rooftop bar but it was manageable. The make up mirror was installed incorrectly and just dangled from the wall. Either the floor or the door was swollen but the bathroom door would not close. The closet light consisted of a light rod inserted in the clothes rod which was hung quite high. I had to look up to select the clothes and the glare was disconcerting. The piece de resistance was the odor from the shower. One of the staff walked me up to the room when I checked in and suggested I keep the air conditioning on all the time to "keep the room fresh". Odd choice of words but in next couple of days I got it. The walk in shower had a cement floor with about an 18 inch rectangular drain. I believe the smell from the entire St. Petersburg sewer system was escaping through this drain. I complained and they somehow got rid of the smell - also left me a bottle of wine. If you like Indian food, the Indian restaurant on the corner of the block that the W is on (corner on the park side - I think there are 2 Indian restaurants on the block - one in the middle and the one on the corner) was fantastic.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed August 15, 2012

We came to st Petersburg for a five night stay and couldn't have choosen a better hotel for its contempory luxury and fantastic location for all the major tourist locations.
Only critism would be the restaurant which doesn't seem to have an identity as what it is supposed to be and therefore lacks everything that makes a great dinning experience apart from the food which is very nice.
The imported wines are very expensive.

The hotel room service is great, the staff fantastic and overall the hotel is excellent...a home from home.

Very well donen to the W and their staff.

Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear John H,
Thank you very much for sharing your feedback about your stay with us.
I am very happy to hear that you have enjoyed your experience and our central location.
Also thank you for the feedback regarding the restaurant, I have shared your feedback regarding the restaurant with the team, and we are taking the necessary actions.
Hope to see you next time.

Reviewed August 13, 2012

OK, Russia is discovering that good service and excellency is not only about having lots of money, but also investing and spending it into good infrastructure, staff training and - yes - customers.

That's how a good, but far from being overwhelming or - by global standards - exceptional new hotel with all its start up problems, can still be "the best hotel in Russia" in a matter of a couple of months of operations.

If you have endured Russian hospitality in say, Moscow, in a standard Sheraton, Mariott, let alone a Russian-bred 4/5 star hotel, at 350$/night + tax for the privilege to have a clean bathroom complementing your 1997 renovated guest room , yes in this case you'll love the W St Petersburg for all its outworldly lavishness, cool design and friendly, hard-trying staff and you will be of those, who think "WOW what a great hotel!"

If you have travelled the world, stayed in a couple of luxury 5 star hotels, have experienced Asian hospitality or US-trained service professionals; if you had the privilege to stay at the W's in the likes of Doha, Hong Kong, Santiago or in some of the newer ones in the US, chances are that you'll enjoy the W St Petersburg, for what it is: A new, luxury, high-standard hotel. One that has seen an interior architect or two, but that has small, not very practically designed rooos, most of which have a dreadful view. All the amenities - bliss, nespresso machine, W periscope, are there and you'll obviously enjoy the great roof top terrace and, if you want to try French food in Russia, the restaurant. But you'll probably ask "And where is the WOW part?"

It doesn't get better than that in St Petersburg at the moment and I would not hesitate to return here, if the price is right. There are some shortcomings though.

-The staff tries hard to act and look professional and well trained, it sometimes feels oddly über-cool out of place.
- The concierge tips not relating to the obvious choices (like Mansarda, Peterhof, and the hotel's own transportation options) would benefit from a prior, albeit superficial lecture of Lonely Planet.
- The roof top place is nice, the cocktails are hit & miss (for quality not the check, mind you) and criticism is by no means welcome.
- SPG Plat's get the minimum textbook standard of service foreseen, if you ask for it. Upgrading the room for free, giving late check out, providing free continental breakfast etc. clearly spoils the revenue maximization (did I mention the hotel car from the airport is $150?) they've embarked on. So you have to ask for every single bit of it, and the result is sometimes cheeky ["oh you want a second yoghurt with your FREE continental breakfast, don't go to the buffet, please, we'll get it for you ... if we have time" -- the last four words are not verbatim, but the wait was.]

I hope they'll get around finishing their start-up phase for the staff training, before the Four Season next door goes open. Otherwise, I fear for an awkward "stuck-in-the-middle" hotel, of which there are plenty in Moscow...

Enjoy the city!

A critical mind.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Dirk_BRU

Dear Dirk_BRU,

Thank you very much for sharing your in-depth feedback about W St. Petersburg. I am sorry to hear that we didn't WOW you during your stay.

I would like to assure you that we do value all of our SPG members and we are more than happy to take the extra steps to exceed the expectations of our guests.

I will suggest you to meet with our W Insiders Galina and Gaia during your next visit to get insider tips about the city, which will allow you to be in the know about what's new and next in St. Petersburg.

I would like to take this opportunity to welcome you back to see if we can turn your opinion around. Please feel free to contact me directly at GmPeter.Katusak-Huzsvar@whotels.com so I can overlook your reservation.

Best Regards,

Reviewed August 10, 2012

Having the first Starwood hotel in Russia's most civilized city, some of us finally got the familiar feel of not only knowing that as a Platinum guest you'll be taken care of in every way possible, but also a well trained, knowledgeable young staff that's willing to do anything to please an exhausted traveler and cater to your every need. Everything has been perfect, every time I've stepped foot into the hotel, from the bell kids to the front desk, from room service to maid service, from the Terrace upstairs to the lobby bar, and of course the Ducasse restaurant where we partake in breakfast and lunch daily, and sometimes dinner, as well. Unlike most guests, I've stayed at this hotel for well over 6 months total since they've opened in the Spring of 2011, and aside from some early glitches that come with growing pains, Peter and his team have made our life here as worry and hassle-free as one can possibly wish for while living in a hotel. In the past, I've stayed for an extended time at another 5 star hotel in St Petersburg, just next door to the W, but aside from a few genuine stars there, the rest of the experience was very uneven, where any positive was always tarnished by some screwup somewhere else. No such thing at the W, they truly live up to the spotless service reputation here!

Room Tip: I won't tell you ))
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank misha r
W_St_Petersburg, General Manager at W St. Petersburg, responded to this reviewResponded August 29, 2012

Dear hi_stick,
Thank you for your loyalty and being with us for all this time. You are the person who could see our progress since the opening and that's why we value you feedback most. We are always happy to see you up on miXup terrace or in miX in St. Petersburg restaurant to provide you the best service and amazing cuisine by Alain Ducasse Enterprise team.
Best regards,

Reviewed August 7, 2012

Upon entering this beautiful property with an amazing location we were greeted by Peter. He couldn't have been more welcoming or helpful giving us the lay of the land and securing us a table at Mix Terrace for that evening.
After a day of exploring we returned to our well appointed room to find a bottle of champagne and array of luxurious Bliss products. We then made our way up the the breathtaking rooftop and were treated to a talented dj and extraordinary service. Andreas made us feel at home, catering to us like family.
Throughout our stay they were exemplary from offering advice and ideas, selecting a restaurant for our second night and personally walking us there to crafting a remedy of special tea/lemon/Ginger and honey when my boyfriend was sick.
We couldn't have asked for a better experience and will highly recommend the W St. Petersburg to friends!

• Stayed: August 2012

Dear AOK1970,
Thank you for your stay in W St. Petersburg! I hope your boyfriend is doing well first of all. We wanted you to feel cared and warmly welcomed and I’m very glad to see that you notice and value our efforts. I’m happy to know that you liked our rooftop terrace, music there and the whole dining experience. I’m looking forward to see you again!
Best regards,