“Very pleasant stay, but the hotel staff needs work” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of W St. Petersburg

W St. Petersburg
Ranked #20 of 331 Hotels in St. Petersburg
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Very pleasant stay, but the hotel staff needs work”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2012

I stayed at the W St. Petersburg for a long weekend at the end of White Nights, and overall, I was satisfied with my stay. The location next to St. Isaac's Cathedral was fantastic, and many sights like the Hermitage were a short walk away. The hotel itself is what I expected from a W Hotel - trendy and upscale. I loved the huge soaking tube and rainfall shower, and as expected, the bed and linens were fantastic. I also really liked the rooftop terrace. While the drinks were expensive, they weren't exorbitantly so, and the prices were similar to what I'd pay in a simliar setting in London or San Francisco.

What made this a less than ideal stay was how the staff simply fell short. While it is clear that the staff has been trained in American-style customer service with a smile, they often failed to take the initiative to ensure that everything ran smoothly. I was on a split-reservation because of a difference in rates for the nights I was staying, and this caused some problems. I pointed it out during check-in, but the "system" and staff thought that I was checking out at the end of each day of my reservation. The staff were simply unprepared to handle a slightly irregular, but I assume somewhat common situation of a split-reservation. As a result, I constantly had to go to the reception desk to reactivate my room key. Our room wasn't cleaned until I called to have it cleaned. I even ran into problems at the Bliss Spa when trying to make an appointment for a facial. Apparently, they had no one able to do a facial for several days. Strange.

Pros:
-Ideal location in the historic core; within walking distance of major sights (but a long-ish walk from the nearest metro station)
-W Hotel bed, nice sheets, trendy but functional decor
-Best hotel bathroom I've experienced with a huge tub, powerful shower, and even a TV embedded into the mirror
-Nice to have a Nespresso machine in the room
-Fantastic rooftop terrace

Cons:
-Staff, though friendly and earnest, fell short of customer service expectations at a top-end hotel
-In-room mini bar prices are through the roof (cocktails on the roof are cheaper than a bottle of water)

The W St. Petersburg has a lot going for it, and I would definitely stay here again. However, the staff needs a little more training in problem-solving so that their guests, who are paying some of the highest rates in St. Petersburg, have a hassle-free stay. With a Four Seasons property opening across the street, I'd say that the W staff has a defined timeline to get their standards up.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Othello491
Dear Othello491,
Thank you for feedback regarding your recent stay at W St. Petersburg! I have reviewed your feedback with the team and please make sure that we will be providing more training to our talent to make sure you will get an outstanding experience next time you are with us.
Looking forward to see you at W St. Petersburg again,
Peter Katusak-Huzsvar

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2012

This was my first trip to St Petersburg and first time to Russia. I was looking forward to this hotel and its great reviews. I really wanted to love it but I was disappointed.

This was my third time at a W Hotel and I've concluded this is just NOT the brand for me. Not staying here again.

The good things:

- great location
- great support for visa assistance before arriving
- helpful staff
- free wifi
- clean facilities

My overwhelming complaint was there was a party on the Saturday we stayed there and the music was BLASTING well past 03h30 AM. Apparently there are parties here every weekend, so be aware. I had actually requested a high floor at the back of the hotel for a quiet night of sleep but in fact this worked out to be the worst location for it. There is a club on the roof of the hotel and the party went all night long. I am told that it is like this every Saturday. I have to say the music was excellent; however I don't want to be hearing it in my room at 3am when I'm trying to go to sleep. Really, you could hear the bass and everything! I called down to reception twice and I complained - nothing happened. Too late to change rooms at that time of the night, just try to sleep it off. Pretty horrible - when you pay by the night, you want a night of sleep.

My general complaint is that this hotel and W in general just oozes gimmick and tacky (ie catwalk fashion shows with music on the tv in the lift) . I felt that this hotel was a night club that happened to have a hotel attached to it. There is a constant coming and going of people; hosting of events; filming of interviews - it IS the place to be. This is all well and good and if you need this for your lodging experience or your self esteem, this is the place to stay! However, if you just want some good hotelier basics and a relaxing place to come back to you, look elsewhere.

Our floor was located at the top, where the beautiful roof patio is accessed. So, once you get to the floor, there is a bouncer there and some dressed up woman with a clipboard. Our weekend, there was some backdrop with brand logos so punters could have their photos taken against it. You had to shuffle past this event's guests and explain to the bouncer you just wanted to get to your room to get there. Leaving your room.... shuffle past the drunk people using the washrooms by the lift, squeeze by the bouncer. Such hassle and gimmick.

Rooms were nicely appointed, beautiful washrooms but a CD player I never managed to get to work. Great coffee machine.

To the W's credit, I spoke to the front desk manager, Marina, upon check-out. She handled my complaint well and apologized. She handled it really well and I do give W a lot of credit for her.

After returning home, I thought to myself, am I such a cranky old man (I'm 33) - why did this hotel offend me so much?! I conclude that if a hotel can't respect their guest's sleep, the rest is all for naught. As for all the tackiness and gimmicks, I just have to say it doesn't add to the hotel experience: it adds to W being a 'lifestyle brand' and that is really what you're buying.

Last time at W. The end.

Room Tip: ask for a low ground floor for quiet!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank BusyFlyingAround
Dear AndrewW2,
Thank you very much for your review of your recent stay at W St. Petersburg.
I have reviewed your detailed feedback and would like to apologize for the quality of your sleep. We are working on a solution to implement some measures like a different sound system and some measures which will make sure our guest can have a great sleep at W St. Petersburg.
Please feel free to contact me directly at GMPeter.Katusak-Huzsvar@whotels.com if you want to discuss your review in details.
New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2012

Strange title, I know. At 64 years of age, maybe I'm just not a "W" kind of guy!. That said, we had a lovely stay. As a Platinum with Starwood, our Cash and Points stay was upgraded to a suite. It was really lovely but so many of these hotels place style over function - how do you have a hotel for tourists with almost no drawer space? As luxurious as the place is, it's not easy having to live out of a suitcase!

The Starwood Platinum amenity includes breakfast and we were, indeed, treated very well - a true luxury not having to pay for European breakfasts at fine hotels. There were little issues, among them that the front desk never seemed to be able to change large ruble notes for smaller ones - no big deal but surprising that it happened three times during our stay.

The Living Room is a comfortable place to meet and stay for awhile. We had dinner at Mix the first night and had a fine meal. The location is superb - hard to imagine a better location to stay in this city.

We were blown away by the beauty and majesty of St Petersburg. The W was our last stop before boarding a cruise and we were very happy with the hotel and the staff. But still wish there were some drawers! I would still recommend this to any travelers to St Petersburg.

And I do want the manager, who I see responds to these posts, to know how grateful we were for the lovely upgrade!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank stevens397
Dear stevens397,
Thank you for staying in W! I’m glad you liked your SPG benefits and upgrade.
I also appreciate your feedback about our hotel and its services. Thanks to your comment, we’ve already made some improvements in the processes to make sure any guest can change large ruble notes at our Welcome Office.

I hope we’ll welcome you at W St. Petersburg in the near future, and please feel free to contact me so I can overlook at your next reservation.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2012

The hotel is fine. I liked the location- by the Winter palace and St. Issacs. It is easy to walk around town.

This Hotel is geared for the party set. There is a great rooftop bar and the meal we had there was fantastic. Techno music heard by the neighborhood. The gym was okay. The room size and amenities were good.
I feel that the staff and guests would benefit from more experienced or organized management. I believe they will achieve this in another year or two.
That being said this Starwood Brand is geared towards a more social crowd. We had small billing issues- added charges however they were very quick to remove the charges; another billing issue- I wanted to check out the night before due to early flight. They forgot to charge for a night and I was held up from leaving to correct the payment.

I did not see any other hotel- except the 4 seasons(under construction)that I would have considered.

• Stayed July 2012
Dear jactravels1013,
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay at W St. Petersburg.
I regret you experienced some issues with billing – I will make sure to provide the necessary trainings to our talent to avoid this in the future.
On a positive note, I am happy to hear that you have enjoyed the location and your room.

Looking forward to welcome you at W St. Petersburg again,
Llanuwchllyn, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2012

Myself and a friend went to dine at W in St Petersburg, from the moment we stepped inside the service was excellent, my jacket was taken and we were shown to our table. They seemed to have a member of staff for every function, water, wine, starters, mains and desserts, even the coffee was served by a different waiter, each as accommodating and helpful as the last.

The food was superb, I had steak, which I rarely order as it's nearly always messed up, the knife slipped through it like butter, so tasty and cooked to perfection. real quality. Dessert was glorious, made to order souffle, contructed at the table, marvelous. A selection of bread with different dips were paraded at intervals before the main act, each was delicious and showcased the chefs expertise beautifully.

I can't wait to go again, if only to stay at the W

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Mr. Turner,
Thank you for your positive review of our popular restaurant miX in St. Petersburg. I am delighted to hear that you have enjoyed it, and will definitely share your comments with our executive chef and the team.
Looking forward to see you soon.
Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2012

I have stayed at the W St. Petersburg first week of June and it was everything I expected and more. As SPG member I have received a complimentary internet access, which is definitely a plus.Starting from the check-in until the last minute everybody was very helpful, friendly, and I had all of my requests completed very timely and in the most professional manner. Also, the one thing I was very touched by, was the handwritten personal note on my desk when I entered the room - next to the fruit plate.
I had a very busy cultural and sight-seeing schedule, as it was the beginning of White Nights in St. Petersburg - so I spent a lot of time on bus tours, visiting theaters, etc. W St. Petersburg is the perfect spot to start and end your day, as its location is REALLY central and taxis are waiting outside the door at all times (in case you are prepared to pay the price and are in a hurry - next metro stop is somewhat a walk - I believe about 10-15 minutes if you walk at a normal pace)
The bar at the Living room and also upstairs on the roof are great - the drinks are not the cheapest ones, which is to be expected at ANY hotel - BUT, the quality is AMAZING and it is totally worth the money. I had a raspberry mojito and a special of the house drink - you could smell and taste the berries ;-)
I have also had dinner and lunch at miXin and miXup - the first evening I have asked for the Olivier salad, since I wanted to have something I would not get back home. The second time I came after the theater visit and the restaurant was almost closing, BUT they still took the time to cook a wonderful bortsch and prepare a fresh salad for me. I have had a very interesting conversation with some of the employees working there, and on the last day, when I had my "farewell" lunch, one of the employees was suprt friendly and took lots of picture from me and the great view of the city - and as I was finishing my lunch and preparing to check-out, she presented me a Matryoshka as a gift from the W Hotel (yes, it was yet another WOW moment).
As far as the room and the amenities - I have not had the in-room delivery, so I cannot say much about it. But everything else was refreshed daily, taken care off nicely, and I had no complaints whatsoever.
On my last day, I have also made an appointment at the hotels Bliss Spa - WONDERFUL experience, which I would definitely recomment, if you have the time and can afford the treatments (which I believe come at a reasonable price). When I checked in, there was a special offer for some of the spa services, so that again was an additional plus :-)

Approximate distance to the interesting spots from the W Hotel
St Isaac Cathedral - across the street
Hermitage - 5 minutes maximum
Mariinsky theater - if you walk, about 10-15 minutes
Nevski prospect - depending on where you want to go - 5 - 15 minutes
Everything else is also not far away or can be reached within a good time

I have posted pictures of some of the things I mentioned, so you can judge for yourself, but I definitely enjoyed my stay and the next chance I get, I will be coming back

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
, General Manager at W St. Petersburg, responded to this review, July 1, 2012
Dear julia6781,

Thank you for your great review! I’m glad our W team could surprise you. I’m sure other travelers will value your tips a lot since you’ve given feedback to our bliss spa, restaurant, summer terrace and transportation tips as well. We are proud of our stunning location and happy to offer the most convenient routs to the city attractions.

Looking forward to see you back in W St. Petersburg,
Peter Katusak-Huzsvar,
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2012

Great rooms, incredibly attentive staff, very knowledgeable concierge, two superb restaurants and a central location that's a stone's throw away from most of the important sights. Basically, having stayed there for 5 nights, I couldn't find anything wrong with it!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Dave E
, General Manager at W St. Petersburg, responded to this review, July 2, 2012
Dear Dave E,

Thank you for your positive feedback! I’m glad our services were up to your expectations. You are very welcome to W St. Petersburg again.

Peter Katusak-Huzsvar,