“Really nice hotel” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #23 of 332 Hotels in St. Petersburg
Bogota, Colombia
“Really nice hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2013

Excellent location, superb service from the desk receptionists, good breakfast. Our room, although rather small, was enough, clean and quiet. I strongly recommend it and will come back to this hotel again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

2 Thank caviral
Polina_Marukhnova, Управляющий at Nevsky Contour Hotel, responded to this review, October 24, 2013
Dear Guests,

thank you for your review! We are very glad, that you are happy with your stay! It`s weonderful, that you liked our location, staff, breakfasts and rooms! I suppose, you have stayed at our Standard room. Comfort rooms are much larger and brighter! Try one of them at your next arrival!

We will be waiting for you back!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Cheltenham
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2013

First of all, this really was not easy to find and it was only by chance that we did (someone asked us if we knew where it was and we were overheard by a local, who pointed us in the right direction). So:
- Cross the main street when you arrive at Mayakovskya and head left towards the historic heart of the city until you are more or less opposite the easy-to-spot Corinthia
- You should be stood next to an alleyway, the (open) gate to which has a sign with a picture of a trumpet on it
- Walk in and after about 50m you'll see a sign for the Anabel hotel on your left
- Go in to the building Nevsky Contour is on the 3rd floor

The hotel is good value for money and the staff are friendly and happy to help. Free bottled water and a cooler for refills - important as the tap water in the city can cause upset stomachs - and tea/coffee whenever you want it are nice touches. Breakfast is pretty simple but perfectly adequate and there seems to be no limit on how much you can eat. Bathroom was good - shower hot and powerful. Location was fine - a decent walk in to town but very doable and in any case close to the metro. Very handy for the St Petersburg/Moscow train station - 6-7 minute walk.

A couple of negatives: the bed was too soft, so much so that you ended up rolling towards each-other, which is never going to go down well. Also, the room was pretty small with very limited room in which to move around, let alone put your case on the floor. These were pretty minor; the one significant problem we encountered was on our last night when we were awoken (and kept awake) by some fellow guests who had obviously been out and had an enjoyable evening and seemed to want to shout about it in the corridor right outside our room. Good for them, but not for us - we had a 7am train to catch. I can't blame the hotel for this but it left a pretty sour taste...

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Tom E
Natacontour, Администратор at Nevsky Contour Hotel, responded to this review, September 23, 2013
Thank you for your detailed review. We are very sorry for our guests who woke you up in your last night, but we hope that it had not spoiled your impression of Saint Petersburg vacation.
St. Petersburg, Russia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2013

A nice hotel with a good service. Good breakfast The hotel is convenient to the Metro. The location is very good. Very friendly staff.....and they all speaking English. When I ever return to St Petersburg, I will chose this hotel again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank Nevsky88
Thank You very much for your nice review. We will be glad to see you again.
Ottawa, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2013

We booked the hotel and a taxi from Ottawa before our trip. We reached St-Pettsburg in the afternoon of the 12thof August. A person was waiting at the airport with a private old car to drive us to the hotel. When we first booked for the taxi we were aware of the fare of the “taxis” and that the hotel fare was a little bit more expensive than the regular taxi fares but we did it to save the hustle of finding a taxi at the airport. I think we did well because with the traffic jam it took us over two hours to reach the hotel.

The hotel is located on Nevsky street the main area of St-Petersburg. The hotel is on the 3rd floor of a five stories very old building recently renovated (in the last ten years) from the inside to be a 10 rooms hotel. We checked in on August 12th and checked out very early on August 15th.
The hostess at the reception at our arrival, I forgot her name, provided with an excellent service. For a couple, the hotel provides a single half liter of mineral water for the complete stay.
Our room, the Pushkin room, was very small but the space was very well managed with a comfortable queen size bed, a small table and a flat screen TV. The bathroom was also very small (1.5 m x 3.0 m) very well managed by a shower, a toilet and a sink. The room was very clean on our arrival and very tastefully decorated.

The doors of the rooms are soundproof. Once inside you cannot hear the noise inside the hotel. There is no air-conditioning in the room but a ceiling fan. In the evening, if you keep the window open you will clearly hear any conversation or any noise going on the street. It is better to close the window and to put the fan. There is a variety of TV channels but all are in Russian. No single channel is in English.

The bed are prepared by the maid every day. The towels are not replaced and the floor is not cleaned. We asked the reception of two bathrobes. They are provided for no additional costs for the duration of the stay.

Breakfast is provided between 8:30 am and 10:30 am in a very small space besides of the reception. You can have tea or coffee. For the food there is a choice between corn flakes, broiled egg, salami, marmalade and pate de foie or pate de poulet. You can also choose between brown or white bread and have access to a toaster.

The front desk reception hostess of the second day was Nataly. Nataly also was an excellent hostess with a very kind service. The front desk hostess of the third day was Paulina. So, on the third day, I was at the reception at 10:40 am. Paulina was somehow aggressive. She did not like to see a late client for breakfast. She removed the toaster in front of my eyes and yelled that I am late and breakfast is now over and I should learn not to be late. I apologized of being late and ask at least for a coffee. Coffee and tea are supposed to be served 24 hours in this hotel. She shut off the coffee machine in front of my eyes and told me that the coffee machine is now broken and there is no coffee as well. I did not appreciate her temperament representing this hotel. I requested to put some toast aside for the breakfast telling her that my wife is following. She yield for the third time that breakfast is over. At the very moment my wife reached the dinning room. I explained my wife the situation and my wife talked to Paulina in Russian. Paulina was more friendly speaking to a Russian guest than me to an English speaking guest. Two measures, two levels. Nevertheless, we were allowed to have breakfast but punished of being late and did not had any coffee/ Still she did not put back the toaster and we were allowed to some untoasted bread with whatever Paulina left in the dinning room. We went back to our room disappointed of Paulina’s attitude. Half an hour later, my wife went back at the reception desk. Nataly and Paulina were there. My wife asked Paulina if the coffee machine is till broken from where we can buy coffee in the nearby. Then my wife came back to the room. At this moment, Paulina called our room to mention that the coffee machine is now working. I would say thanks to Nataly that who told Paulina that her manner to treat guest is unacceptable.

I assume that after Paulina has been told to behave, she changed 180 degree to become a very helpful hostess to go out of her way to help but still without a single apology for the incident of the morning. She was now willing with booking of our departure taxi and explaining the way of how to get to a concert we booked on the evening of the third day. The morning of the fourth day we were leaving a 5:45 am. Paulina was awake early and prepared the usual breakfast, served us coffee and was very kind. She became the ideal hostess a guest would like to see.

Overall all, quality price the hotel is very clean, very well located and a very good option. We stayed last year in a somehow mini hotel but the quality was not as good as in this hotel. Despite the mini incident with Paulina, I will happily come back to this hotel next year. I will recommend the management to add one or two tv channel in English providing no Russian speaking guest to enjoy tv as well.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Gabriel N
Natacontour, Администратор at Nevsky Contour Hotel, responded to this review, September 5, 2013
Thank you very much for your review. Paulina expressed her apologies towards your unpleasant experience. We hope that it was just a little misunderstanding. Hope to see you again to have a chance to improve your expression from our Hotel:)
Saint Petersburg
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2013

Nice,friendly hotel. Very good service. Clean, they helped my son to find and buy a ballaleika. Very good location, on Nevky Prospect, close to the metrostation.
When we ever return tot St Petersburg, we wil chose this hotel again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Thank you very much for your nice review. We hope that your son enjoyes his new balalaika:) We will be glad to welcome you in our Hotel again!
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2013 via mobile

It's true, Nevsky Contour is hard to find but not impossible and definitely worth the effort. After a very difficult process to acquire visas it was just as well we enjoyed our time in St Petersburg as much as we did. The Nevsky contour was a delight; comfortable, clean and convenient to Metro and reasonably priced and atmospheric restaurants with home-style cooking. But the most memorable feature of the hotel was the truly excellent service from the staff especially Olga. Nothing was too much trouble for her; she explained all the hotel features in a refreshingly friendly manner and volunteered to phone our restaurant to see if they took credit cards as well as offering more eating venues. Next morning there she was multi-tasking in the cute breakfast room making coffee and organising the other staff members. Booking online was easy because of the fluent and helpful way the process was managed. Our Nevsky Contour experience made it into second place on the St Petersburg highlights - Hermitage was a stand out number one! Thanks, Olga!

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank Nelly B
Thanks a lot for your warm review! It is so nice to learn that you enjoyed staying in our Hotel. Thanks a lot for the kind words about our staff and Olga. She is very pleased with your warm compliments:) We will be very glad to welcome you in our Hotel again.
Ventura, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2013

When I made the reservation I knew I was booking a room on the lower budget. I had actually read all the reviews from the Annabelle hotel but that costs more and I figured how bad can Contour be if in the same building.
I paid for a car to pick us up at the airport. Our driver was there waiting for us. We were nervous that the currency exchange office was closed and we didn't have any russian money on us. This must have been the first time the driver did a pickup for the hotel as he had a hard time finding the place even though I saw him pass up the hotel once. There was no way of telling him because he didn't speak english. He finally called someone and got us there. Luckily, the driver was previously paid and we didn't have to deal with it.
Everything went smoothly with check in. The front desk girls speak english so that makes things much nicer.
When I first walked in the room I thought, "OMG, I should have just paid a little more for the Annabelle" but I was tired from our long day and thought I would look at everything in the morning with fresh eyes. Next day I was fine with the room. The bathroom was clean and everything worked fine. The only downside about the hotel is that there isn't air condition. We did have a large window and a ceiling fan and nice cool air came in the room but we had to leave the curtains open for the air to flow through. The problem with leaving the curtain open is the twilight. We are from the US where we don't have twilight so it gets pretty hard to get used to that. The bed was comfortable. The hot water was plentiful and water pressure was good. There was plenty of space to put things. I felt the hotel was safe and we didnt have to worry about anybody stealing anything. The front door to the hotel is securely locked and no one can come in wondering from off the street. There's also a safe in the room in case you need it.
Breakfast was the same everyday but it's nice to have it to start your day. I would definitely stay here again if ever in St P and I strongly suggest you have the driver pick up service. There are so many crooks in St P that you really cant trust anyone.
Warning: We walked out of the hotel and got a half block from the hotel when some guy approached my husband and said, "Passport Control" The guy was in plain clothes. My husband just pretended not to hear and waved him off but he noticed that the guy was working with two women. These people work in groups so you really have to watch your surroundings.

Room Tip: Perhaps pick a room that is on the side of the kitchen and not facing the courtyard.