“Bait and Switch!”

Nordhostel Hermitage
Miami
“Bait and Switch!”
Reviewed September 30, 2010

Nord Hostel has despicable business practices.
Their entire marketing is all about the great location next to the Hermitage.
Just check the "map" link on tripadvisor. That is the only reason I agreed to spend about $100 U.S. a night in a hostel.

There is no mention on Expedia or Hostelworld or Trip Advisor about a second location
In all of my correspondence directly with the Nord Hostel, they never mentioned that I would be placed in a far off location.

I booked a private twin with them, had to pay fully in advance with paypal, and now I see why they require this.

When we showed up, reception was closed between 2 and 5pm, another misrepresentation from their listing, which said "24 hour reception" (they have since changed it).

When it opened, we were told we were NOT in the Nord Hostel, but in another location quite a long walk away. We had to lug all of our bags (my friend has a bad foot too). through the crowded streets of St. Petersburg to get to the other location, which was in a far inferior neighborhood with graffiti, down an alley with cats and beer bottles, up to a crappy apartment that seemed to have Russians living in it for long stretches at a time.

Nord Hostel's response is that there is a mention on their website under the "Map" tab that the private rooms are in another location, and because her e-mails to me included a website link below the signature, I was by "default" responsible to have scoured every tab of the website and read this. That map part was not even there before, they changed it later.
But even if it was, this is a ridiculous cop-out. They had plenty of opportunities to tell me that I would not be staying at the Nord Hostel.

NO MENTION of this far inferior location is made on Expedia (which we booked through), Tripadvisor, or other booking websites. Just because I sent her an e-mail directly (I had to contact them directly to pay them because you could not pay through Expedia), I should not be charged with reading the every inch of the website, even it if had been there.

The girls working at the hostel were friendly, but the Hostel manager, who is in the Netherlands or somewhere, refused to give us our money back. So we were robbed of $400 by this place and had to book with another place that really is in the area close to the Hermitage.

I cannot judge how the dorm rooms are, but I would never recommend giving your business to this type of establishment.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
5 Thank Stargell

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
  • Greek first
Krakow, Poland
Reviewed August 27, 2010

We stayed there on our way back from the Baikal Lake, that was one theese places where u just wanna stay to chill out and enjoy wonderfull time in St.Petersburg, the lace itself is super cosy with nice kitchen area, free internet, wi-fi and first of all with with great hospitality of two wonderfull girls Tati and Lena that will always give u a hand no matter what or where they are ( just call God-:), we love the place!!!
Monika& Mike

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank mikewarcholik
Zwolle, The Netherlands
Reviewed August 19, 2010

From here it's only two minutes walk to the Hermitage, that means you're in the heart of the city! Close to shops, restaurants, and metro's!
Very friendly and helpfull staff!! They will help you find your way and give you excellent tips about St Petersburg.
We enjoyed our stay very much. Only good and warm memories....

• Stayed August 2010, traveled solo
Madrid
Reviewed July 30, 2010

The hostel is not prepared to accommodate so many people in such a small space. Despite the 2 dorms are spacious, a tiny bathroom with two toilets and two showers is not enough for all and the kitchen is very small and has no window. There is no living room, no A/C and no fan. And it is very noisy during the day and especially at night.
But the location can’t be better and the staff is nice.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
New York City, New York
Reviewed July 18, 2010

This hostel has two locations, one with shared dorms, on the doorstep of the Hermitage- and another a few blocks further out. The one I stayed in was in a residential building just a very large apartment with four or five bedrooms, for 2-3 people each, and a few bathrooms so sharing was never a problem. Both locations are very well located, I never had to bother with the metro. I had missed a bus and arrived even later than planned, but the manager was around to let me in and happily show me around even at a very late hour. There's a nice little serve yourself stocked kitchen with cereals and breads and egss and coffee and juices. they just ask that you finish by 2 pm. The manager is very smart and interesting, speaks flawless English- and loves the arty side of St Petersburg and loves to share it with visitors, I got loads of good advice and great conversation. If Tatiana ever stops managing it, the whole place might fall apart, but as it is, it's a wonderful comfortable place to stay.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo
2 Thank bettyellen
Helsinki
Reviewed July 12, 2010

I stayed in a dorm with four friends and two of my friends had separate room. The place is a quite small but clean and remind me my times when I lived in community. Don't expect marble and silver ware.

Place has an excellent location. It also has heavy traffic nearby so take your ear plugs with you!

Service was friendly and they spoke pretty good English (what I expect as a baseline). By the way Russians speak English worse than I write it, so this was a great plus!

You had to made your own breakfast and it was what they promised - hopefully you like serials. Though what was nice that in such a little room you have to meet other guests who where in my case very nice company.

As a conclusion this hostel is small, clean and friendly place with a best location you could imagine.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
Madrid, Spain
Reviewed June 25, 2010

The attention we received from the staff (Tatiana mainly) at this place was nothing short of amazing. She helped us figure out what to do, where to go and how to make the most out of our trip.
The hostel is spacious and the guests tend to be clean. The whole ambiance is great.
At night in the weekends the noise coming from the street can get bothersome.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends