“Unbeatable location, clean and comfortable.”

Nordhostel Hermitage
Reviewed March 11, 2010

My experience at Nord Hostel was a very positive one. When I arrived at St Petersburg, a driver was waiting at the airport, as I had requested to take me directly to the hostel. I found the hostel to be clean, comfortable and warm. My room was spacious and homely. The bathroom and kitchen were tidy and regularly cleaned. The staff were efficient and friendly and ready to help answer questions or to help with any extra arrangements. They always had time for guests and were very welcoming. I don't think you could find a more central location and at such an affordable price. I have already recommended it to friends and would stay there again if I needed a hostel in the future. It was a great start my three months in Russia. Thanks Nord Hostel!

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled on business
2  Thank LondonandSydney

Reviewed March 10, 2010

So if you would like to visit St Peterburg and be very close to the people who live there. NORHOSTEL is the place to be. The outer walls of the apartments are just one meter think. In this way you can sleep comfortable without any noice.
Some of the rooms have some very nice samples of the old central heating system used in the old appartments. So when you have finished breakfast, you are in the middle of many places you can visit by just walking in there. If possible do the water tour in this way you will able to see nearly everything of the city in a nutshell.
I have to remind you bring our soft shoos for staying indoors! As the appartment is a reflection of how the people live here. Also cheerfull Tatyana will do almost everything to make your stay very pleasant. As she will bring up every idea about what is possible in this window for the west.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank GusAlmere
Reviewed February 23, 2010

You enter this old building and climb up a flight of large stone stairs... and then you're buzzed into a warm and comforting flat. For me, the cleanliness of bathrooms is particularly important. Showers and toilets were clean, dry and warm. The kitchen is stocked with hot drinks, biscuits and breakfast food (yoghurts, cereal, bread, jams). They were out of milk one morning (Sunday), despite advertising the availability of breakfast every morning... but they quickly made up for this. After all, we were there out of season, in February. Tati, the hostel manager, heated us pancakes the next morning for breakfast. The staff were very obliging with any request, and Tati went out of her way to help me find a special birthday treat for my boyfriend. (She even bought him a mince pie with a candle for the day itself!) The staff had great recommendations for restaurants and bars, all of which we enjoyed.

Tati's young and vibrant style started our trip in a very memorable way. We quickly became friends, and we were only there for 3 nights! She made us a delicious pea and ham type soup for dinner one night.

Location-wise, couldn't be better. Almost directly across from the Hermitage and very close to key sights and night-life spots.

All in all, I highly recommend this place. When we go in summer, we will definitely go back there.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Craghopper83
Reviewed February 11, 2010

Clean, friendly, comfortable. We would not stay anywhere else. Nord Hostel has the best location in St. Petersburg - right off Nevsky Prospect and around the corner from the Hermitage. The Staff was incredibly friendly and helpful, and made our pleasant stay even more enjoyable.

We stayed in a clean and tidy double room. Bathrooms were immaculate and the breakfast area was well-equipped and clean.

Nord Hotel is the best hostel we have have stayed at and is better than most hotels. Cannot recommend it highly enough.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank BoetiusJ
Reviewed January 11, 2010

Place is amazing situated, so close to hermitage, no more than 100 meters by walk! View from the window is so beautiful..
The hostel is clean end new.. and people who work there is extremely friendly and kind.. trying to be as useful as she can with hostel's guests.. giving lot of good information and good advises about what to visit, and how live city.
I definitively recommend this hostel!!! 100%

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled with friends
4  Thank paolosalvati
Reviewed December 12, 2009

I cannot praise too highly the care and attention Marsha paid to my travel arrangments - the booking and the 'invitation' which is needed to get the visa and advice on how to get tickets for the Mariinsky opera. On arrival at the airport her charming brother Alexei met me - Marsha was there too on her way to Holland - at the hostel the vivacious manager Tatiana had homemade soup for me - this was amazing as I had left London at 6am. All speak English - Tatiana with a lovely American accent after two years in America. The hostel has two locations - one just off the Nevksy Prospekt near the Hermitage (as mentioned in the Lonely Planet guide) and one about one or two kilometres away in a rather more ordinary residential area of the inner city - but close to superb cheap restaurants listed in the Lonely Planet guide (Face Cafe, Zoom Cafe and Kilikia). Check which location is available. Both were spotlessly clean and the hostel near the Hermitage was being redecorated while I was there. Tatiana was just amazing - in many years of European travel I have not met such an enthusiastic hotel or hostel manager - for example, ringing a house museum and palace to check opening hours (I went to the Anna Akhmatova house museum but it was closed) and checking which buses were best for the Mariinsky. I cannot recommend Nord Hostel too highly. I just hope they have the room with the double bed at the Hermitage location next time I visit.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled solo
3  Thank sydneytraveller010
Reviewed November 13, 2009

I really enjoyed my stay in St. Petersburg!!! The Nord Hostel is definitely the place to stay in St. Petersburg. It's location is astonishing (200 meters walk of the Hermitage). The hostel's services include breakfast, Internet and certain (train) ticket arrangements. In sum, perfect! Special thanks to the hostel's staff, in particular to Tatiana for her wonderful enthusiasm, many interesting city tips and for her company during the exciting 'nightlife' in St. Petersburg.

Regards,