“Super hotel, friendly service, and close to the city centre”

Solo Sokos Hotel Vasilievsky
Ranked #26 of 344 Hotels in St. Petersburg
Helsinki, Finland
“Super hotel, friendly service, and close to the city centre”
Reviewed August 14, 2013

Super hotel, friendly service, and close to the city centre. The rooms were clean and fresh and especially the bathrooms. The breakfast was nice and fresh and served until 11 pm. The concierge service was also very helpful and booked nice restaurants and tours for us.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
DMelnikov, Executive Assistant Manager at Solo Sokos Hotel Vasilievsky, responded to this review, August 15, 2013
Dear Fredrik,

Thank you for sharing your experience of staying with us with the fellow travelers worldwide.

I am very happy to hear you have enjoyed your stay and found our team to be friendly and liked you room, the breakfast (please allow me a small correction, we serve it till 11 am, not 11 pm) and the location.

Have a lovely end of the summer and welcome back to Solo Sokos Hotel Vasilievsky,
DM

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Saint Petersburg
Reviewed August 14, 2013

Location was more appropriate and suitable than we expected. Staff was helpful and smiling, particularly a girl at reception one evening was so resourceful. Conccierge service staff could be improved.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Dear Olivier N,

First of all I would like to thank you for spending some time to write this review and share your opinion on our hotel with TripAdvisor community.

I am very proud and happy to hear you have liked it here and the hotel have met and even overcame your expectations. It would be nice to know in which area our concierge services need developement, so I would be very happy fore detailed feedback.

Anyhow, thank you very much for your kind words and welcome back to Solo Sokos Hotel Vasilievsky,
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed August 13, 2013

We could easily walk to Nevsky Prospekt and all the main tourist sites. The bedroom was very clean and fresh. The bed was two twins pushed tightly together and we slept like babies. No complaints about the room except that the shower was a little weird- the strange European style half door that results in water on the floor. The concierge was mostly helpful but when she wasn't available, the front desk staff seemed really put out about helping with restaurant reservations and calling cabs for us. But, for the price, it was perfect! You won't find much better in Russia for that moderate price!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
DMelnikov, Executive Assistant Manager at Solo Sokos Hotel Vasilievsky, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
Dear Tressa,

Thank you for sharing your opinion and experience of staying with us with the TripAdviser travelers community.

I am happy to hear you have enjoyed the stay and liked the room and the atmosphere. As for your comment about "strange" glass door in the bathroom - we have heard that kind of feedback couple of times and are looking into the solution at the moment.
It is a pity, that in the absence of the concierge out reception team was not able to deliver the service that you needed. At the same time they are not allowed to do the bookings for the outside services it is truth, but I would assume that the recommendation was made for you on how to deal in the situation.

I would like to thank you once again for your kind words and wish to see you again at Solo Sokos Hotel Vasilievsky,
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Reviewed August 11, 2013

We stayed here as part of the package deal from the St. Petersline ferry 72 hour visa free visit. Since this was 1 of only 3 hotels offered with this package, and since I had unfounded, raised-in-the-US-during-the-Cold War-biased views of Russia, I was a little apprehensive to the quality of this hotel.

Needles to say, all of this vanished after we were checked in and given keys to our rooms!
We arrived early due to the arrival time of the ferry, but the hotel stored our luggage while we got started visiting the sights.

The rooms were spacious, modern, and clean (but who is staying in their room with so much history to see?!), the beds were comfortable, housekeeping was on point, the front desk staff was friendly and spoke excellent English, the restaurant had good traditional Russian food in addition to other selections, and the breakfast buffet had enough delicious variety to keep all of our group satisfied.

The location of the hotel could not have been better! We were a very short walk to the Neva, and from there a short and scenic walk to some of the major places you'd want to see while visiting St. Petersburg.

There are only two things that I noticed that could be a bother to someone...1) if you are a light sleeper and are visiting during the summer, get a room in the back. Our room overlooked the street out front and traffic noise is audible (we weren't bothered by it, but someone could be...)
2) the bathtub wall was a little high, making it slightly difficult for an older one of our group to get in and out. Maybe a step-stool could be placed in the bathroom?

In all we were very satisfied with our stay. My mind was changed about a country that I never thought I would visit, and I was exposed to so much history that I had never put much thought to. Our stay in this fabulous and immensely historic city was made that much better by being in a hotel that cares for its guests!

Oh, yes, another reason why I selected this hotel is due to the fact that they respond to reviews left on this website :)

Room Tip: Light sleepers should choose a room NOT overlooking the street out front due to traffic noise
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
DMelnikov, Executive Assistant Manager at Solo Sokos Hotel Vasilievsky, responded to this review, August 13, 2013
Dear Kghedin,

First of all let me thank you for finding some time to share your experience of staying at Solo Sokos Hotel Vasilievsky, it is very important for us and helps to develop our services and make the global travelers as happy as you were.

I would also like to thank you for your feedback, your kind words and for appreciating what we have to offer here. I could easily go on for thanking you for kind words addressed to a certain feature of the hotel, but I would better go to you other feedback.

1. It is true, that at the moment the traffic may be a bit noisy in the night, but it is connected with the fact that 8-9th Lines (the street where hotel is situated) is now a main road for getting from the island to the "main land" and back. One the renovation of the Palace Bridge is over (November 2013) the street is becoming much more calm.
2. The bathtub issue I see as a personal preference, still thank you for the hint, I assume we will buy some of those step-stools, just in case somebody will come up with such a comment again (which I haven't met before).

However, thank you once again for all your nice words and your feedback.

I wish a great summer end for you are really hope to see you again at Solo Sokos Hotel Vasilievsky,
Oulu, Finland
Reviewed August 5, 2013

The hotel has a really cozy atmosphere. It's not too big a hotel but to me that's a pro. The room was clean and really nicely decorated. The staff was always helpful and I really enjoyd the restaurant. I really recommend this hotel for anyone planning a trip to st. Petersburg.

Room Tip: The standard room was equipped with everything necessary (safe, fridge, tv, hairdryer, bath etc.)
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
DMelnikov, Executive Assistant Manager at Solo Sokos Hotel Vasilievsky, responded to this review, August 6, 2013
Dear 3lsu,

Thank you for sharing your experience of staying at Solo Sokos Hotel Vasilievsky with the fellow traveler on TripAdvisor. We do value your opinion.

Your kind words made me very happy and also proud. Proud of the team of Solo Sokos Hotel Vasilievsky.

I hope to see you once again with us, and thank you very much for recommending us.

I wish you further pleasurable journeys,
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed August 1, 2013

Our family of 4 stayed in this hotel 2 weeks ago while on a tour with Baltic Vision. The rooms were lovely, as was the restaurant and bar. It is ideally located with a walk over the bridge to all the sights. The staff at the hotel were exceptional and any request we had was met promptly and efficiently and always with a big smile. Special mention to Pavel on the reception desk and Natalia in the bar who always greeted us with such friendliness.

Kerin Harrington, Sydney, Australia

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dear Kerinharrington,

Thank you for giving some of your time to writing this review. It is very important for us to hear your opinion as it helps us to develop our services and make our guest happier.

I am so so happy to read even the title of your review, not mentioning the content! Thank you for your kind words. I have already shared this with my team here and send you personal regards to Pavel and Natalia. Service is what we are here for and we try to develop it day bu day. I am glad that people like you notice it.

I hope to see you back at Solo Sokos Hotel Vasilievsky.

Have a lovely day,
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed July 25, 2013 via mobile

We stayed for two nights and found the staff pleasant and helpful at all times. The room we had was modern, very clean, spacious and comfortable. The restaurant food was as you would expect in a hotel like this and the breakfast a good way to start the day. I would recommend this hotel and would stay again if we were back in St Petersburg.

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
DMelnikov, Executive Assistant Manager at Solo Sokos Hotel Vasilievsky, responded to this review, July 29, 2013
Dear Halcyontwo,

Thank you for finding some time to share your experience of Solo Sokos Hotel Vasilievsky with the fellow travelers worldwide. Your feedback helps us to improve and develop.

I am glad to hear that you have enjoyed the comfort of your room, our restaurant and our breakfast. We truly know how important it is to start a day with a nice and proper meal.

Thank you for recommending us and welcome back to Solo Sokos Hotel Vasilievsky,