“Lovely atmosphere but lacks touches for the price”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Literary Cafe

Literary Cafe
Ranked #257 of 10,238 Restaurants in St. Petersburg
Cuisines: European, Russian, Eastern European, Central European
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Special occasions, Families with children, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Scenic view
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Brunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Galway
“Lovely atmosphere but lacks touches for the price”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2013

We enjoyed a lovely quiet lunch here mainly because I love Pushkin's work and that's one of the reasons it's a well known restaurant.
The staff were friendly and the food really nice. However, I think for the prices it charges in context of Russian prices (in fact equivalent or higher than Western Europe), they could have included such things as bread, water and sour cream (smetana) as part of the meal.
I find it odd (it seems to be common in Russia though) that they charge you extra for bread when most European restaurants of the same price range would give you some fancy bread/butter before you meal for free as well as bring a jug of iced water to the table.
It's ok for a McDonald's to charge 20c for a ketchup (for example), I wouldn't expect that off a higher end restaurant though.

• Visited August 2013

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
“Relaxing... I got lost in myself”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2013 via mobile

I fancied trying this place and was dying for a good hot chocolate. However, first I had chicken in cream sauce and jasmine tea- delicious. After a while I decided to have some calamari- delicious. Finally I had my hot chocolate and a water. Overall I'd been in there 2-2.5h, I was left to myself without being bothered (as we often are in uk). At £20 it was worth it as I was comfortable, warm and loved the music!
Can't wait to try it at night.
Look out for the 50% off voucher although I'm not sure which part this applies to- I sat on the ground floor.

• Visited August 2013
Recife, PE
“Gostamos muito.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2013

The best beef stroganoff I ever ate.
Napoleon cake is delicious.
The only bad point was don't accept credit cards.

• Visited April 2013
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“Russian experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2013

We were on a day trip to st Petersburg from a cruise ship and the trip included lunch. We were delighted to arrive at this restaurant. It's up a flight of stairs and its a single room but it's very older worlde. We were given Russian salad, mushroom soup, Bellini,s and a pastry to finish. We were also given a glass of fizz and vodka!!! Can't say if it was expensive as it was included in the trip price but it was a real flavour of Russia for us!!!!

• Visited July 2013
Lappeenranta, Finland
“The ambiance is good, but...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2013

After strolling a long afternoon in different sights of the city, wanting a coffee and a break, we found this place by chance on Nevskij prospect. Literature cafeteria since 1916 said the sign, the interior matched the style and history.
The service had still echoes of the Soviet times, it was solemn and sluggish. We decided for coffees and pastries, but the waiter told us that our choices were not available: about half of the pastries in the menu were not available (?). Coffee was decent but the recommended "La flamme" was very sweet but otherwise quite tasteless. Warm apple pie with icecream was better.

At least our experience of this place didn´t turn out to be what it seemed in the first glance...

• Visited July 2013