“Great restaurant, friendly staff and good service”
Review of Tandoor

Tandoor
Ranked #34 of 11,086 Restaurants in St. Petersburg
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Families with children, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: Admiralteisky
Description: The oldest Indian restaurant in Saint Petersburg. True Indian cooking and hospitality since 1994. Enjoy the ultimate experience in fine Indian dining in the very heart of Saint Petersburg by St. Isaac’s square. From perfectly spiced curries, succulent Tandoor kebabs and straight-from -the-oven naans, to wide variety of vegetarian dishes and homemade desserts. Here, everyone will find something to satisfy one’s taste buds. We speak English! Wi-Fi, Kids welcome, take-away, indian music
Reviewed March 4, 2013

This beautifully decorated restaurant, situated in a half-cellar has the feel of a Boyar's den about it and when I visited I was served good food by friendly staff. Peculiarly it only serves Czech and Austrian lager rather than the Cobra or Kingfisher you might expect. It also has the distinction of being the only non-smoking restaurant I encountered during my entire 5 day trip to St Petersburg [although I’m aware most people would consider that a definite plus].
However, if you’re craving that post-meal ciggy, you can always do what I did and call in to the Irish bar a few doors further along Admiralteyskaya where you can smoke to your heart's content while you wash your curry down with an ice cold pint of Harp.

Reviewed February 28, 2013

We randomly picked Tandoor Indian Restaurant becasue we were staying at the W Hotel. Restaurant is in a sub basement and you can have a view at legs as they walk past if you get a window seat.

Service was fast but we were the only guests on a Thursday night at 10pm so that couldn't explain the speed.

The menu is fairly extensive. We had butter chicken, vegetable korma, garlic naan, and basmati with cumin. Food was delicious. Best Ive had outside of Deli. Wine list is a bit slim.

For 2 of us our bill was $110 (american) and that's not too bad for St Petersburg but not inexpensive by any means. However, the food does make this restaurant worth its weight in curry

Reviewed February 2, 2013

I really liked this place. It's on a corner. They take your jacket in a cloak room at the entrance so you don't get the food smell on your clothes.

Putin, who is from St. Petersburg, used to go here when he lived in the city. But even if you don't like him that much, you should go here.

Waiters are very friendly and speak excellent English. Nice decor and great food. We had the chefs speciality's (vegatrian and chicken) where you get papadom, naan, salad, samosa, chicken, sausage etc. and shared. A lot of food. Then was the main course: one veggie dish with rice, one veggie dish with cashew, peas etc. and one chicken dish with rice and sauce. All good although the starters were better than the main course. For dessert we got a scoop of vanilla ice cream and chai tea with milk.

There was a lot of food, so for me dessert was not needed. The naan was the best naan I've ever had. The food is delicious - if you like Indian food - go here.

The decor is also nice - painted ceilings with lots of color and cool lamps and dark furniture. The waiters are very nice and service-minded. I love this place! :)

Reviewed January 25, 2013

Was craving for good food and stumbled upon this gem. Everything was awesome. Had butter chicken, tandoori allu parantha and garlic naan. I requested for papdi chat, and these folks made fresh papdi to make the coolest chat ever!! Masala tea in end was just delicious. I am definitely coming over next time I am in town.

Reviewed December 31, 2012

Ate here during our week's stay and thoroughly enjoyed it. Prices very reasonable. We had a set menu for two which included starters, main, bread, desert and tea. At 900RUB this was significantly less than other meals we ate during our stay.

The food was well cooked, although very different to Indian food eaten in the UK. The staff were friendly and helpful. Definately worth visiting.