“Nice, new, convenient, affordable hotel”

Original Sokos Hotel Olympia Garden
Ranked #58 of 336 Hotels in St. Petersburg
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“Nice, new, convenient, affordable hotel”
Reviewed June 4, 2010

When looking for a hotel in St. Petersburg, I struggled to find something that was reasonably new and nice, in a location close to the city center and affordable. I think I found a pretty good combination of these criteria at this hotel. Some Russian colleagues recommended a hotel near the airport that was a little cheaper (Park Inn I think), but given taffic to/from our meetings, being that far away from the center would be too far. We can walk from this hotel to the metro near the technology institute in about 5 minutes and it looks like the Hermitage area is only another 10 or 15 minute walk. Our Russian partner suggested the Grand Hotel Europe, The Rennaisance and a few others, but these were well over $500/night. I have a single room which is kind of small, but the bed is comfortable, I have a nice view over a park, and the internet connection is very good. The shower is one of those with the clamshell doors and the bathroom floor is the same as the shower floor so water kind of leaks out when you shower. It's hard to describe, but it isn't a big deal. There is a good sized safe in the room where I can keep my laptop and SLR camera as well as an LCD TV. I suppose my only complaint is that there are a few tour busses staying here so the elevators are slow and full in the morning, but I suppose everywhere in St. Petersburg is this way during the summer. Overall, it's a good choice for business. It's not right in the middle of the tourist stuff, but it's pretty close. I'd stay here again.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank TGP093

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Suburbs
Reviewed April 4, 2010

I have stayed in this hotel multiple times during my business trips. Everything is working as it should be(This is not always the case in Russia). Also I would say that the huge fireplace in main restaurant is something unique which you can't find everywhere.

Mattresses in the rooms are something to meantioned. When youre in business trip the quality of sleep is important. Here you can relax/charge your batteries for the coming battles.

The only negative thing is that youre not in the very heard of the city. Also one small detail is the drinking water. Youre only offered one bottle as complimentary...when arriving. So the nearby supermarket is worth visiting in this sense(ofcourse you can get bottle from lobby bar with the price of 8€/0,5l).

Also one good thing to meantioned is the great location to airport. Its only 30min drive from International Pulkova airport.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
Helsinki
Reviewed September 17, 2009

Suite is very nice and bed execellent! Breakfast was good. Staff was very friendly. I´d be there again!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank Patsy25Helsinki
Helsinki
Reviewed September 15, 2009

Excellent room service!!!! Nice rooms and very comfortable beds. Beautiful bathrooms etc. TOP place to stay.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank withfriends
Germany
Reviewed July 20, 2009

We have stayed for 2 nights in the hotel at the invitation of the russian partner company. Well, the hotel is very new, the rooms are good, also when I have found the bathrooms a kind of spartanic and small. But it is somehow typical for Scandinavian hotels. Another point about the rooms were, that the wardrobes were just mini, you couldn't really put anything in it, and staying two person in one room, you may face some problems. But the rooms and bathrooms were clean , and the room rate was unbelievably cheap for July in St Pete. The location is very good, So I suppose, if you come for one night or so for business, the hotel could be perfect.
We didn't eat in the restaurant, only had breakfast and I found that horrible. I'm really surprised, to read here good reviews about food. They charge you for breakfast almost 20 EUR, but the whole breakfast buffet was looking like a cheap food display, not really inviting and a poor quality. That was for me the first time to have such a poor breakfast in the hotel in Russia.
But the most dissapponting thing was of course service. I can understand the reviewer who claimed about it. Some examples: we returned from dinner in the city and wanted to have a drink outside on the terrace. The hotel had a special offer for a jar of Mohito. So first of all we asked in the restaurant, how can we get to the terrace. The girl told us, we cannot use a restaurant terrace, because that was all booked out, but we can go to the bar terrace. So we went to the bar, which was rather dark, so you couldn't see any terrace and have asked the barman, how can we go to the terrace. The answer was: through the door. I became very angry and told him that it would be very friendly of him to show the guests the way. After we got seated we were waiting for a long time to be served, nothing happened, well, me and collegue went into the bar and asked if we can get something to drink. The answer was, the terrace guests should order their drinks on the bar . Nobody told us that before. And the last thing was really funny. Since we wanted to have the special Mohito offer, which was actually 4 glasses for a price of 2, the barman tried to convince us, to order just 4 single Mohitos ( for a double price), because the jar doesn't taste so good. We were very much amused and have asked him if he puts different things in glass of Mohito and in a jar?! No he said. Why the hell is the taste different then? He couldn't explain that.

So, the service terrible, the hotel OK for that price

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
2 Thank kobri
UK
Reviewed July 13, 2009

This recently built hotel is an excellent base - close enough to walk to the centre for the energetic or a short walk to the metro that opens up the whole of the city. The rooms are excellent with a high standard of finish not always found in hotels in this city. Excellent restaurant and friendly bar staff. In contrast to another review, I found the reception efficient and extremely helpful.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank Macelbow
Moscow
Reviewed July 4, 2009

Well, the rooms are clean and comfortable, the restaurant food is excellent, but the receptionists treat customers as if it were a backpackers' hostel rather than an expensive hotel. For starters, the receptionist told a group of my colleagues who arrived at about 9:40 a.m. on June 29, that the check-in time was 2 p.m. so they could take a walk until then. And that was despite the fact that their rooms had been reserved starting from the previous day, so they had every right not only to go into their rooms, but also to have breakfast. It was only when an organizer on the customer side intervened that they gave rooms to my colleagues, and that without a word of apology.
When another colleague asked whether she could receive a map of St. Pete, the receptionist grimly said "yes" and confined herself to that statement. My colleague, amazed, watched the receptionist do her own stuff for a couple of minutes, and then finally said: "Well, then give me one." The girl reluctantly went into a corner and came back with a barely readable, black-and-white xerox copy of a map fragment.
Is a four-star hotel too poor to stock itself with enough full-color city map copies? Or are they not given to every guest, but only to some of them?
To crown it all, when I came back to my home city I found I had left a hard disk drive in my room's safe. I made a long-distance call to the hotel's reception at about 9:30 a.m. and asked them to check the room and especially the safe for the forgotten accessory. To me, the most natural thing for the receptionist would be to call the guest staying at my former room immediately and to ask him/her if there was anything in the safe. But no, I was told that the staff whose duty it is was not yet in place and that I had to make another call after 10 am. When I asked what the young lady's name was, she replied: "Oh it doesn't matter. I am the only receptionist here now". OK, I called again at 10:30 and she said: "No, nothing has been found". I said, "But did you ask them to check the safe specifically?" "Yes, yes," she answered. But, being a Russian myself, I easily understood, by her overtones, that she may not even have asked anybody to do anything.
Luckily, a colleague of mine was still staying at the hotel on that day, so I called her. She called back in 15 minutes and told me she had found the thing!
To sum it up: if you need anything done at that hotel, whip those lazy cows around as hard as you can. That's your only chance they will move their... well, body parts to do anyhing.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business