“Great Rooms, Good Service, Nice Bar and Convenient Location”

Original Sokos Hotel Olympia Garden
Ranked #56 of 345 Hotels in St. Petersburg
New York
“Great Rooms, Good Service, Nice Bar and Convenient Location”
Reviewed July 7, 2013

Really liked this hotel and thought it gave us great value. The rooms are very nice, with beautiful wood flooring, nice bathrooms, and very comfortable beds. The bar and restaurant are quite nice, bar open til 5am! Every evening they had something going on in the restaurant it seemed, and the food quality was pretty good. The bartenders are great and they offer up some very nice beers on tap as well as all sorts of mixed drinks and booze, and I enjoyed having a nice after dinner drink upon our return from a long day of sightseeing.

The location is not right on Nevsky, but you are only 2 subway stops right from the center, and the area feels local but you can also walk to town in say 20-30 minutes if you so choose. There's a very nice church right down the road too that is worth a visit.

All in all an efficient and well run hotel and also very clean. Would definitely stay here again. Excellent value for money, especially for St. Petersburg and Russia.

Pros:
-very nice clean rooms
-nice bar and restaurant area
-spa very nice as well
-good wifi service and many international TV channels with nice flatscreen TV
-good service
-location is decent - not too far from the center, easy acces via the Metro
-quiet area, not loud at all

Cons:

-location: as I said, I think it's fine, just a short walk to the subway station that's 2 blocks away, but not a centrally located hotel right on Nevsky. That's ok with me though given the great value this hotel offers - you could walk to the center in 25 minutes if you wanted too. It's really not that far out as the crow flies; (trust me I walked back from the Hermitage);
-bit of an older crowd, there are a lot of tourist groups coming in and out from Spain, Italy, Turkey, Germany etc. Didn't bother me though, was nice to have the restaurant full and the bar fairly busy.Much preferrable to having a bunch of 20-something carousers keeping me up all night

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Johnny_C_NYC
Marina B, Front Office Manager at Original Sokos Hotel Olympia Garden, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
Dear Johnny_C_NYC,

Thank you for your positive feedback. It is very important for us to get such detailed comments regarding our hotel and it would be also useful for other customers.
I am happy that you found the excellent value for money and you are absolutely right that it not common in St. Petersburg. Here each customer would have quiet clean specious rooms with really comfortable beds, free GYM which is opened 24 hours, free speed WI-FI, 2 types of saunas and such a nice small benefits as free welcome drink.
I am really glad that you would choose Sokos Hotel Olympia Garden next time and I hope to see you as our permanent guest soon.

Best Regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
New Zealand
Reviewed July 6, 2013

This hotel has mixed reviews but I liked the place. Clean, quiet and most of the staff were friendly and helpful. I believe if you approach the counter with a smile, you'll get one in return. And if you attempt to say thank you in their language, they'll love you forever! Friendliness works both ways. The good stuff: free wi-fi throughout the hotel. The buffet breakfast was very extensive with every kind of breakfast you could ever want: cooked, continental, salads, breads, sweet pastries, fruit juices, coffee and many kinds of tea. The restaurant is well laid out with room to move around the buffet serving areas and the seating arranged in small or medium groups. I had an evening meal twice in the bar and both times it was delicious and very reasonably priced ($57 NZ for both meals with soft drinks, including the bank's exchange rate commission as I charged them to my Visa card). The location of the hotel is quite good, with just a five minute walk to the Metro, which is really easy to use compared to Moscow's metro. All stations have the names in both the Latin and Cyrillic alphabets.
The not-so-good: No tea or coffee making facilities in the room. No problem, I took my own. An in-mug immersion heater, mug, knife, fork & spoon plus tea bags and milk powder. (Most of Europe does not have this facility). All in all, I enjoyed my stay here and would recommend as being value for money.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank NZTraveller666
Dear NZTraveller666,

Thank You for your feedback. With help of our guests we can always improve our services.

As you noticed we have free WI-FI internet which is available all over the hotel and we always care so everybody could use Internet timely for their needs. In case if somebody doesn’t have an internet-device we have a business-corner with several laptops and printer that are approachable 24/7.
I am very grateful to you for a feedback of our breakfast and bar service. Our chief and his team work hard for creating an opportunities for every guest to find preferable and delicious food and for fulfilling their various expectations.
Tea and coffee making facilities in the room are available starting from superior room category which could be ordered for a small additional charge. You can always change your room type upon the check-in in case of room availability. Our reception staff would be glad to help you with getting better room.
Our main idea is to make stay of all our guests in Sokos Hotel Olympia Garden as comfortable and relaxing as their own homes.
Look forward seeing you in our hotel.

Silver Spring, Maryland
Reviewed July 5, 2013

I was expecting a grim, concrete hotel in St. Petersburg and this hotel came as a complete surprise. It would be an elegant place to stay in any country. The restaurant featured French cuisine and the waitresses were friendly and helpful despite the language barrier. The breakfast buffet had every food you could possibly want. I liked that the elevators would only operate if a room key for that floor was swiped. Our room was comfortable and the shower stall prevented the water from going all over the bathroom unlike many hotels. The television greeted me by name upon arrival and my overall impression was very positive.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Lucie52_11,

Thank you for comment. Your feedback is very significant for us.

I am very pleased that your stay was enjoyable and you found the hotel elegant as well as graceful. Thank you for mentioning Fransmanni restaurant. Breakfast buffet really has a great variety of dishes to satisfy any tastes. A la carte menu provides delicious French specialties and beverages. I will make for sure to share your opinion with the restaurant team.
I am happy you have noticed such details as TV greeting upon arrival, shower stall, security system in the elevators to make your stay pleasant and relaxed.
Thank you once again for your review and welcome back to Sokos Hotel Olympia Garden.

Sydney
Reviewed June 14, 2013

Good sized rooms, clean and comfortable. I like that water is provided daily as you can't drink tap water in Russia. Service at the desk is ok, but when asking for restaurant ideas and directions their limited English was a problem as was their poor work ethic. I felt I was interrupting the concierge when asking a quests. Smile people, it's free!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank BLDOZA
Marina B, Front Office Manager at Original Sokos Hotel Olympia Garden, responded to this review, June 20, 2013
Dear BLDOZA,

Thank you for your feedback.

I am happy that you like our rooms. Daily free bottled water is that we provide for all customers and I am happy that you found it useful.
I am sorry that concierge wasn’t as helpful as you expected. We definitely will pay even more attention to this issue. Our service is that we proud of and we never accept poor work ethic from our staff. Smiles, friendliness and sincere wiliness to help are our priority for each day of the year.
I would like to invite you to Sokos Hotel Olympia Garden for you next family trip to enjoy a warm and welcome atmosphere of our hotel.

Adare, Ireland
Reviewed June 11, 2013

Having stayed in quite a few hotels in Russia over the years this one came as a welcome surprise. It really is a 4 star hotel with well appointed rooms and comfortable beds. Location is also good for local restaurants and the Metro. No problems with noise at all.

Staff were not that friendly (but this is Russia) and the food was expensive, but apart from that I would recommend this place.

Room Tip: I don't think there are noise problems with any of the rooms as this hotel is away from the traf...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Marina B, Front Office Manager at Original Sokos Hotel Olympia Garden, responded to this review, June 18, 2013
Dear Chimemark,

Thank you for your feedback.

I am happy that you like our well-appointed rooms and our comfortable beds. As you said all rooms are quiet because we are located in green city park but still in a city center. That makes us different from all other hotels.
I am sorry that you didn’t feel friendliness from the staff. Service is our main priority that is why it makes me even more sadder to hear such comments. But we constantly improving our services and train our staff.
But I am glad that you enjoyed your stay and recommend Sokos Hotel Olympia Garden to all other potential visitors.

Look forward seeing you in our hotel.

Dallas, Texas
Reviewed June 6, 2013

I stayed here for a few nights as part of a package tour, so it wasn't exactly a hotel that I chose. Overall it was fine for a short stay, but if I went back to St. Petersburg, I'd probably stay somewhere else.

Pros:
- well sized rooms
- quiet
- friendly staff
- good breakfast
- free wifi (though it didn't work very consistently)

Cons:
- not very close to city center/tourist area
- housekeeping didn't replenish bathroom items (soap, toilet paper)
- housekeeping didn't supply my room with nicer toiletries I saw on the maids' cart (perhaps because I was there with a tour group?)
- hallways smelled like a campfire

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Marina B, Front Office Manager at Original Sokos Hotel Olympia Garden, responded to this review, June 11, 2013
Dear aw511,

Thank you for your feedback.

I am glad that you like our hotel.
As you mention we do really have well sized and quiet rooms, good breakfast, free WI-FI for our guests and especially friendly and helpful staff.
We are located just 2 Metro stations from the city heart. From the other hand it is also very convenient to get to airport from the hotel, no matter if it is by taxi or by Metro.
All our rooms have soap dispensers and necessary bathroom amenities, but starting from superior category you can also find additional set of bathroom amenities which contains hair conditioning, body lotion and etc. For a small additional charge all customers can get this and other necessary features in superior, junior suite and suite rooms.
I hope you would choose our hotel for the next stay and it would be even more pleasant than this time.

Kippaxs
Reviewed June 3, 2013

This hotel is a bit distant from the centre of St Petersburg but it is high quality. The rooms are a good size and comfortable; the service is good; the bar is excellent; the breakfast is also very good although there are crowds of people there! We found the desk staff great for booking for the opera and for getting taxis. The internet is first class and free. The reason we thought it was a bright spot is that we found Russian people generally morose, untrustworthy and at times aggressive. Sad, considering the beauty available here. And the water is not only non-potable- it stinks.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Barnacles70,

Thank you for your feedback.

I am so happy that enjoyed your stay with us and that you notices so many positive moments such as comfortable rooms, excellent bar, our breakfast, free WI-FI internet and especially our service and concierge desk where you can order any kind of excursions, tickets, taxis or guides. It is also possible to buy postcard there and send them as well.
From the first sight it may seems that people in Russia are a bit morose, but this is just from the first sight. It is just different mentality and it may seem so. If you would have a chance to get to know someone a bit better you find out that Russian people are the same people like everywhere.
Unfortunately our tap water in Russia is not drinkable. But in our hotel we have free bottled water in each room (still and sparkling). Also in rooms starting from superior category there is kettles and guests can boil water and have some tea or coffee.
I am glad that you like our hotel and I hope you choose it as a place for your next stay in St. Petersburg.