“Fine, but disappointed”

Ranked #54 of 355 Hotels in St. Petersburg
Adelaide, Australia
“Fine, but disappointed”
Reviewed October 4, 2012

I came with a family member on a tour of Moscow and St Petersberg. Not that the hotel wasn't decent, but there were a lot of let downs. The room felt very small and cramped but served our purposes fine as we were only really in there to sleep. Free WiFi around the hotel sometimes dropped out for a second but was overall fantastic and really useful, it's not often you even get free WiFi in your room these days. No tea/coffee making facilities in the room was a big letdown.

The real problems I had with the hotel was the absurdly hot rooms, and despite putting the air conditioner on the minimum temperature possible on cooling we were left with a room that made us feel as though we were cooking at night. I even visited reception to ask for assistance but wasn't given any help as apparently they couldn't do anything about it (after a set of fairly rude comments about how we weren't using the system correctly, which wasn't true because everyone else on the tour had the same problem). In the end we had to open the window despite the mosquito warnings to somewhat cool the room down and spray bug spray afterward. It didn't do much, but it helped. The only other complaint I have is that the water temperature AND pressure in the shower were inconsistent and kept going weaker to stronger, hotter to colder back and forth every 5 seconds (literally). This wasn't too much of a problem though considering the design of the shower meant that water spilled across the floor and we barely had more than 1 minute before it spread too much for us to clean up.

Despite these issues, though, it was a clean and satisfactory hotel and Russia in general did require lowering expectations a bit. Did the job fine, but I probably wouldn't come back to the hotel if I returned to St Petersburg one day.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Josh A
Anna C, Manager at Original Sokos Hotel Olympia Garden, responded to this review, October 8, 2012
Dear Josh A,

Thank you very much for your review!

I am sorry that you were disappointed with hot rooms and water temperature and pressure in our hotel. September was cold that is why we turned on our heating system, unfortunately it could reflect on our cooling system. I am very sorry that you found comments of our staff rude I am sure they didn’t mean to be rude, please accept my apologies. I can assure you that we have never had any problems with water temperature or pressure in the shower, that is why your comment is very important for us. I would appreciate if you could spent another couple of minutes to send me your room number or last name via e-mail: rdmanager.og@shotels.ru so we can make all necessary improvements.
I am glad that despite of those issues you found our hotel clean and satisfactory.

Sokos Hotel Olympia Garden

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Inveraray, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 25, 2012

room adequate and comfy shame no tea making facilities (even the most humble B&B in britain has those) breakfast quite good it's a shame they can't cook bacon! on all days of stay it was impossible to stab with a fork as it shattered!! and tea was difficult to make as water was not boiling (is it only the brits that can make tea?) breakfast was crowed and noisy due to coach parties. In the evening however the restaurant and bar were great,meals were reasonably priced and varied they coped very well with a dairy intolerance in the party. Plenty of live entertainment especially from the bar staff . Free computor access in the conference area was usfull to book in for the airport and check e-mails. There were plenty of places to go out to eat within walking distance and area seemed quite safe.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Pauline H,

Thank you very much for your review!

We are glad to hear that you found room adequate and comfy. We are also glad that you found our restaurant and bar great.
We do not have tea/coffee making facilities in standard room, but you can always get it for reasonable price.
We are sorry that you were not satisfied with the bacon, due to our standards we make it crispy. Your opinion is very important for us, we will pay special attention on our cooking methods. As for the tea we keep optimal temperature in the boiler but as you have mentioned the water is not boiling due to the safety and security reasons.
We do have free access to computer also in the lobby bar, where you can sit with a cup of tea or coffee.

Essex UK
Reviewed September 23, 2012

This is a friendly, comfortable hotel. The staff are very helpful with good English. The rooms are a bit on the small size but are quiet and have really comfy beds. Unfortunately, there is no tea/coffee making facility in the room. We had breakfast included which was good, with a fair selection which was constantly topped up. Bucks fizz was available at breakfast on Saturday. The location is fairly good, with a metro stop just up the road. The 350 bus goes directly to the Mariinsky Theatre via Sennaya Ploschad from a stop just along Moscovskiy Prospekt. It is also waiting outside the theatre at night after a performance to take you back again. Costs 35 roubles one way, just pay the driver when you get on.
There is a Netto supermarket across the road (Hetto) for supplies of cheap vodka and chocolate.
We were given a free drink at the bar on our last night. The bar area is relaxing and there is a nice, open fire to sit in front of.
Would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Anna C, Manager at Original Sokos Hotel Olympia Garden, responded to this review, September 24, 2012
Dear Angel57,

Thank you very much for your warm review!
I am happy that you find our hotel friendly and comfortable - that is we wanted to be for our guests!
We do have tea/coffee making facilities starting from superior room together with superior view, bathrobes, slippers and Berry Therapy bathroom amenities for additional 800 rubbles daily. But we can also put it to the room for additional 500 rubles per day.

Proud to be British
Reviewed August 27, 2012

This hotel could be so much better with a little bit of imagination. During our stay it seemed to be eternally busy as a tour hotel, therefore catering for many different nationalities, and there lies the problem. It is just not geared up for the amount of guests it caters for during the tourist season, the dining area seems to spill over into reception at times and with so many tables reserved for the various groups, finding a vacant table is sometimes hard work. If you have chosen half board the choices are limited. The staff work very hard and try to accommodate everyone but seem to be overwhelmed by sheer numbers. When we arrived we were told that there would be a wait of one hour if we wanted to order anything to eat. You can of course eat in the bar which has a bar menu this is the easier option at times. The food is very good and service excellent, the staff are very friendly and most speak excellent English. Our room was clean and comfortable but lacked storage space, which was OK for a few days. The bathroom was a little small but manageable and was equipped with under floor heating which although very pleasant seemed a little extravagant when so many other things could have been done. All in all the hotel was OK for a short time but I would not like to stay for too long.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank longhair9
Anna C, Manager at Original Sokos Hotel Olympia Garden, responded to this review, September 10, 2012
Dear longhair9,

Thank you very much for your review!
I am very sorry that you found staying in our hotel disappointing. During the summer we are quite often fully booked and sometimes all our guests would like to have their lunch or dinner at one time. We try to seat all our guests but of course in that case we usually let everybody know beforehand how much time they have to wait to get their order. I will pass you feedback to our Food & Beverage Director, I am sure we will do our best to make this process easier to our guests. I am delighted to hear that after all you found our food and service excellent and our staff friendly. I am also happy to hear that you found our room clean and comfortable. If you decide to come back one day I would recommend you to try our Junior Suite which is more spacious and has everything that you need.

We are looking forward to your next visit i

Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 27, 2012

Modern hotel with all the little extras that make a difference - kettle, slippers, robe, iron, safe. About 1/2 hour from the airport by taxi (900 roubles) and located close to the underground, which is very efficient and easy to navigate as signs are also in English. It's only two stops to the city centre. The hotel was full of coach parties so the restaurant can be full, had to dine in the bar on one evening. Food is very good and service is fast - sometimes too fast. Very comfortable hotel and would look forward to staying again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Dear NeilM932,

Thank you very much for your review!

We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed staying in our hotel! In our superior rooms you will always find everything you need!

Reviewed August 23, 2012

I stayed at sokos olympia garden in june 9-15 with my husband in a junior suite booked from their official website (cheaper than booking.com and most of all available in the period i needed).
Very large room, european modern style furnished, very good cleaning and helpful staff at the reception (they hire for me a car and a driver to go to marininsky theatre for a ballet at a reasonable price).
We didn't have breakfast, in my opinion too expensive (about 25 euros). Nice and cheap cafè 'starbucks style' (with free wifi) just in front of the metro station.
Very good food at the pub in the hall, very comfortable and relaxing atmosphere.
10min walk to the metro station (two lines) and two stops to nevsky prospect. Maybe a little too far (at least 30min to get to the main attraction).
It was negative they didn't send us the invitation letter in time, so we had to pay an extra to the agency for the visa.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Iaia206,
Thank you for your review and your positive feedback.

We are happy to hear that you had very comfortable stay in our hotel! It is a pleasure to know that you enjoyed staying in our junior suite room and have found our staff to be helpful and friendly.
I am sorry we didn’t send you visa support letter in time, I will pass your feedback to our reservation department and we will improve our service.
Moscow, Moscow City, Russia
Reviewed August 16, 2012

My adventure with this Hotel started in last year in November.
Business trip were for 2 weeks and 2 weekend i had to spend in this Hotel. First weekend everything were great. Awesome room with really huge and nice bed, great bathroom with bath, not with the shower. and view to the yard (nothing special just other people windows) Good and nice service.
Next weekend i came again and had amount of troubles. My company made me a reservation by booking.com without a payment letter of guarantee. And as i had only euro cash with me and no company credit card. I tried to solve the problem and called to my office stuff but it was friday evening and was hard to reach them. After all they told me that will send me new booking with the letter of guarantee on next day. Okay. it's about 23:00. I am after 10 hours of train. Tired. In the middle of St. Petersburg. With euro cash money that Hotel does not accept. But they offered me to go to find money exchange and showed me even map:) I went. Walking there for 20 minutes finally - money exchange we closed. To say i was angry and tired...:) I went back to Hotel and told to reception that we have 2 possibilities. 1. they accept my euro cash. 2 they call me taxi and i will go to another Hotel. Room rate for this Hotel were 100 eur/night.
Thanks to kind reception stuff they give me room and took my documents. I asked smoking room by this time. Then i came to the room i saw great view in window! But the smell in the room were like last guests had there at least 2 packs of cigarettes and last 2 hours.
I opened the window.
In the morning i noticed that...i have huge hall in the ceiling of the corridor. Because of the open window wind flow moved it?:D Goosh scary movie:)
On this evening i came back to hotel and went by elevator to 6th floor but couldn do it because my card didn't work and twice i went to parking:D With huge bags i went to reception and the made me new one. I went to 6th floor went to my room and it was kind far from elevator especially if you are with bags. And my card couldn't open my room:D I went back to reception...and they made me new card.
Next morning, we my last morning in this Hotel. Check out is at 12 o'clock. After the shower i were sitting on the bed in towel. And my door were opened. Oh. Cleaning lady came to my room!:D Sow me in towel make her excuses and went out:D

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Dear Elina B,

Thank you very much for your feedback!
We appreciate that you have chosen our hotel for you business trips to St. Petersburg. We are glad that you liked our rooms and our service.
I am sorry for the inconveniences you faces with a our payment system. Due to our hotel policy all reservations made from booking.com are not prepaid, credit card number used only to guarantee reservation in case of no show. Payment should be done directly in the hotel by cash or credit card. If reservation to be paid by third party we ask to fulfil card holder third party payment agreement thereby all security policies are followed. Due to the Russian legislation we are not allowed to accept any foreign currency exept Russian rubles. That is why we kindly ask our customers to exchange money in the banks or currancy exanche offices which are located near our hotel, some of them work 24/7. We also have currency exchange machine in our hotel, but due to security reasons it asks for credit card as ID.
We do not recommend our guests to open the windows because of the mosquitos and as sometimes it may cause draughts. I am sorry that it happened to your room. We do have air conditioning system which will refresh the room perfectly well.
Please accept our apologies for the demagnetized key and housekeeping lady entering your room before check-out time, we will do our best to prevent it in future.
I hope this situations will not spoil your impression about our hotel and you will come back again!