See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed August 21, 2016

Good place for Velikiy Novgorod visitors: "3 Cats" is located 15 minutes from the entrance to the Kremlin and the centre of the city, but in a quiet place.
The rooms are tidy and comfortable and are provided with air-conditioning. Guests can use the kitchen in the basement to make tea/coffee or cook meals for themselves; breakfast is served in the kitchen from 8 a.m. and there are several options to choose from. I'd recommend pancakes - very tasty.
The hotel is pet-friendly. If you travel with your pet, book a room in the ground floor, because the stairs to the upper floor are rather steep and narrow.
There is a parking space for 3-4 cars inside, or you may leave your car outside in the street.
Receptionists are very helpful - ask them for sightseeing and dining recommendations.

• Stayed: August 2016, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 15, 2016

It's nice experience to stay here. Need to say we choose this hotel because they allow guests to bring pets (with extra fee of 300 RUR only per night) and also because of low price (incl. breakfast). We took the mansard room, so getting our suitcases to 3rd floor by stairs was the only challenge we faced to.)) The room has basically everything we need during our stay, clean enough and comfort to sleep at night.
We were impressed by detailed instruction in the bathroom saying why the smoking is totally prohibited in this venue and it's subject to fine (meaning a huge set of works they have to do after any attempt of somebody to smoke even close to the open window :-) ).
They do accept credit cards already, so no need to bring cash anymore. Also the lady at reception was glad to help us if any issue comes, and also advised where we can find her if she's not at reception by some reason (the same floor where the breakfast is served). Breakfast was tasty enough, with variety of additional pancakes and drinks of choice (free of charge, for sure).
From previous review I found out that some of tourists came to this venue was not happy to communicate in English with hotel sfaff. I suspect it's all about foreign language difficulties, but nothing about unfriendly behavior (I know a lot of Russians who are not happy to speak in foreign languages having lack of communication skills, while in fact they always positive and sociable). It looks like misunderstanding the owner of 'Tri kota' hotel should take care of.
Finally, the location is good enough. I've been in Veliky Novgorod before, that's why it's not a problem to find the place and also to get the city centre from the hotel. Mobile-maps (e.g. Yandex) do know this hotel, so it's reachable if you drive your own car or take a taxi.

Room Tip: 3rd floor if you like mansard and OK to walk upstairs
  • Stayed: August 2016, traveled with family
Reviewed June 13, 2016 via mobile

I have come across this B&B on Tripadvisor while planning a short getaway to Veliky Novgorod, and I am happy to report that it lives up to, and beyond, all the positive feedback here. First of all, the place is modern, clean and, one can feel it at once, made with love. I wonder if it used to be a big private house refurbished into a hostel, but even if so, it was a good job. I had a single room on the top floor, it was spacious and full of light. The towels along with a bathroom kit were provided and smelled fresh. A little fluffy mat next to the bed was a nice little detail, just like the traveling-themed wallpaper. The bathroom was spotlessly clean. The blanket was warm enough, and I even had to open the window in the night, even though it was pretty cool outside.

The room price includes a breakfast that you have to choose in advance and indicate when you would like to have it served. Mine was ready on time and was quite substantial. Breakfast is served in a cute little pantry in the basement with a handful of tables and a table with coffee, tea and water available around the clock. It's a pleasure to sit there with a cup of tea taking a break from the sightseeing rush.

Of course, all of these nice things are working thanks to a great team behind. During the two days I stayed there, I encountered at least three ladies, and all of them were friendly, forthcoming and efficient, while also remaining kind and informal - a rare combination that's impossible to find in big places. Hats off to the team and the owner who hired it! Thank you very much!

What I appreciated a lot is that even after I checked out, I was welcome to have tea in the pantry and read a book there for a couple of hours while waiting for the departure time. This is not a common thing in the Russian hospitality industry, whether big or small.

I have a big travelling record and have been to quite a few places around the world, staying in very different hotels. With that experience in mind, The Three Cats is definitely a gem in its category, a pleasure to stay at, and a rare thing to find in Russia. I strongly recommend it to any visitor to VN!

Stayed: June 2016, traveled solo
1  Thank Ekaterina K
Reviewed March 25, 2015

not in the center but it is in a good location for its price. near to the railway. 5mn walk to the kremlin. cute lobby with toys. clean and big rooms. if you can find stuff around, they are helpfull. enough for short stays.

Room Tip: all rooms are silent
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 21, 2015

A comfortable and welcoming B and B close to the Kremlin in Veliky Novgorod. The room was clean, well presented and had everything we needed for a two night stay in Novgorod. Breakfast was tasty - we chose from 3 options on check in and specified a preferred time to have this downstairs in the kitchen-dining room. Great value for money, and really nice to stay in a cosy B and B rather than a chain hotel.

Two things have prevented me from giving Tri Kota 5 stars. The first, location. Although close to the Kremlin, the hostel is fairly hard to reach on foot from the train station (35 minutes on foot with suitcases). There are buses, but timings are irregular and not displayed at the bus stops. The second, communication difficulties. Our Russian is very basic, and we struggled to communicate with the hosts on the most basic of subjects. Having said this, staff were very friendly, but even checking in proved challenging.

Top tip: Bring cash. The hotel does not accept card payments and we were expected to pay for our full stay at check-in.

• Stayed: March 2015, traveled as a couple