“Remember it from the 60's” 5 of 5 bubbles

Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Good for: Kids, Families with children, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Dinner, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Bloomingdale, New York
“Remember it from the 60's”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 16, 2012

It sounds like the pizza is still great. I used to go there a lot in the 60's and remember when "Kay" was in the kitchen. I can remember tons of stringy cheese on the pizza - so much you could almost choke on it - but really good. I knew it had changed hands, but the sauce recipe was passed along. I think the last time I was there was around 1995 (I checked June 2012 because it doesn't go back that far), and it was as I had remembered. I'm happy to hear it's still open. I'm not close by, but maybe I'll get there again. Great memories at Kay's.

• Visited June 2012

Troy, New York
“The Best Pizza around!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

Old style enclosed porch type restaurant; video games and boat ride inside for the kids. Red checkered tableclothes and windows all around...very homey! Pizza is the bomb...steamed clams and a couple of beers cost less than preparing or ordering out; an old favorite establishment.

Visited November 2012
Capital District, NY
“Kay's - where you feel like you are on vacation”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2012

Kay's is a seasonal restaurant located on Burden Lake in Averill Park. We live locally but every trip to Kay's makes us think we are away. Maybe it's the lake outside with ducks mooching for pizza crust and boats motoring about. Anyway, back to inside. No fancy overheads. You walk in, wait for a table and grab it as soon as it's clean. No hostess - you know when your next. Yes, it can be crowded and noisy, but that's the fun part for us. The pizza is a very thick crust with lots of cheese. Think gooey. Plenty of toppings from which to choose. The antipasto is a large bed of lettuce, with meats and cheese (anchovies and mushrooms, if you'd like), tomatoes, cucumbers and a great creamy italian dressing on the side. And the wings - man, are they good. Clearly our favorite in the area. If you want NYC-style pizza or fancy plates, this is not your place. However, if you want tasty food and dine with people of all types, by all means have a draft, grab a table and enjoy. And save some crust for the ducks.

Stephentown, New York
“Take out pizza...oh the sauce!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2012

We've been trying pizza around the area to find our favorite and Kay's is in the top two. The sauce on Kay's pizza is by bar the BEST! We've never actually eaten IN Kay's but for take out, we give it an A! The crust is on the thicker side, so if you are looking for thin crust pizza, this is not for you... We've picked our pizza up as early as 4:30 on a Friday night and the place was already filling up...

Chatham, New York
“The BEST pizza”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2012

If you're up for the best pizza the capitol district has to offer, this is it. It is not a place to go to for a gourmet meal---it's strictly a place for pizza, salad, beer, etc. It is always crowded, you seat yourself, it's noisy, filled with families, and lots of pizza!!! I've gotten so spoiled---I rarely go elsewhere for pizza. It is a seasonal operation, and is right on the lake, so the views are very lovely. Parking can be a challenge, but it's all about the pizza!!!!

• 3 of 5 bubbles