“Cheap, central and safe hostel, ideal for budget travelers”

Suharevka B&B and Hostel
and 1 more site!
Suharevka B&B and Hostel
Ranked #283 of 617 Moscow B&B and Inns
Reviewed February 4, 2013

We traveled from Vladivostok to Moscow on the Trans-Siberian railway in October 2012 and booked through Suharevka's website after a thorough research of where to spend 4 nights in Moscow and where to spend the least amount of money. We arrived on the 27th and left on the 31st October, and found the place very easily with the hostel's website location information. The price was very reasonable, for 4 nights for a couple in a closed double bedroom we paid 8400RBL, about 200€. We found it clean, reasonably quiet for what is essentially a private apartment transformed into a backpackers. There was a friendly receptionist who happily printed off our Bolshoï tickets, gave us a map and basic information. There are two bathrooms (basic shower and sink), one toilet and a fairly large living area with free tea, coffee, TV and very important, free WI-FI (which works fine from the room too). We locked the room everyday and it clearly wasn't touched for 4 days, which was good since we could make our own mess, make our bed ourselves and leave our stuff just like being at home. We heated water there and ate noodles on most nights, just like we did on the train, as Moscow can be very expensive for food. We found it perfect for traveling on a budget, it is a very central place, close to Suharevka metro station, and as the Kremlin and most tourist attractions are about 20mins on foot we found it perfect. Supermarkets are numerous nearby and it is fairly easy to get to the International airport as well. Only downside is we had the worst weather with snow, rain, and horrible slush for 4 days! Would recommend it for budget travelers.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank James N

Reviewed June 22, 2011

They parted a normal room into three cupboards with barely a place to put your feet.
We were lucky in that we had a window some rooms are real cupboards.
They seem to have a capacity of 20+ customers at the same time and only one WC and 2 showers in poor condition.
Don't mention the kitchen: a corner at the end of a corridor a small table for 3 and 2 little benches, a boiler for tea or coffee, a microwave oven. No laundry. Lamps are not replaced and the light is dim.
Our room gave on Sadovoye Koltso the circular highway constantly noisy due to high traffic at any time day or night.
You can choose to lower the noise level if you close the window but you will suffocate very quickly... We could only stay 2 days in this rabbit hutch.
Since we could manage with the russian language we went on the net and found quickly and individual flat in Smolenskaya (at the corner of Arbat) 1 sleeping room, 1 living room, kitchen, bathroom, all ameniiyies, the paradise! for just a little bit more than the fee we paid at suharevka

Room Tip: Rent a flat from russians
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 21, 2011

I booked it in February from London via booking.com...

I arrived and they told me that there was a room only for two days for me, and they have no idea where I am going to stay for the rest of my trip, they tried all excuses - speaking like with stupid tourist who cannot count to 10...after two days, they moved me from one room to another one...no interest to solve the situation, very bad attitude of staff...it almost seemed to me that it is my fault that somebody forgot to book that room in their booking system, if they have any...a receptionist is sitting a whole day before the PC and she cannot get things right, especially when I booked the room in February, how is this possible?

No investment into the place, it looks like a place for asylum seekers instead of hostel...they offer old Russian pattern for modern prices. I paid by cash, and received no confirmation of it, nothing. The staff doesn't even know Russian legislation about registration, they immediately asked for 700 rubles to register me...

People smoke outside of the hostel door, but you can smell it everywhere. Temperature in the fridge was something like a room temperature, so you cannot use it. There is no sink in the kitchen...a small sink in the corridor is for hand washing and plates washing, but it is too small and you have to hold a tap with one hand because otherwise water is on the floor.

The only positive about this hostel is that it is literally 2min from tube station, however, if you can, please, avoid this place...honestly, it is not worth of considering and it can destroy your beautiful Moscow trip.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank Martin258Z
Reviewed April 25, 2011

We are travel agents and I booked this place based on positive reviews I had read and its location.

It is very difficult to find. We arrived late and our driver, who has lived in Moscow his whole life, could not find it. Once we did find it, no one answered the bell when we rang it. We finally entered when someone else left the building. Our room was located right next to reception. The lady working there spoke no English, but my driver did. Our room had a mattress on the floor in a very small room. When I asked to see the bathrooms, I was told that I have to wait, because it was across the building. I decided that we would try to find someplace else. This place looked like a crack house from a bad movie. I can't believe Hotels.com is offering such a place.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
9  Thank happywanderertravel2
Reviewed January 8, 2011

I ended up at the Suharevka because the hostel I wanted to stay at was fully booked the night I arrived and the reception sent me there. It is located in an historic Moscow building very close to Tverskaya and many sights in the center. The hostel itself occupies the entire fourth floor of the building and it's divided into two parts. The first part has the common room and reception. The opposite part has the rooms and bathrooms. Therefore it was very peaceful and quiet. The apartments are outfitted with some beautiful antiques. Overall has a wonderful sense of quaintness to it. The kitchen was under renovation when we were there and they had a half kitchen with the basics for our use. It's should be great when that is finished.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled solo
6  Thank Malaja
Reviewed November 22, 2010

Where to start?
Besides the fact that the owner is American, nothing would show the American standards.
1. What they call a kitchen is an open room with one fridge and a microwave. The dishes are really clean as nobody cares much who will use them afterwards.
2. The shower rooms: one of them has a shower curtain that needs disinfection.
3. The toilets: economy is made on toilet paper that is not really comfortable to use; cheapest on the market does not exist.
If you are in 8-bed bedroom, you need to exit to the staircase and cross it to go to the toilet. But don't forget your magnetic card if you go during the night or you might find yourself sleeping on the stairs.
4. The staff: Make mistakes in bookings. There are two receptionist who speak English during the day. Night and day, they employ a retired woman that has to clean up all the room, make sure that facilities are clean. But they watch their favourite TV program in the evening, even if you would like to watch something else than sitcoms.
Those retired ladies don't speak a word of English. It was good that there was a foreigner there to translate and explain things. They are also rude if you don't understand them or their Russian.
5. The staff does not care about your well being there but mainly about their job.
6. One night, it was snowing. The room was cold, because the next room window was open all night freezing all around. because they had started painting the room, leaving a smell of old socks for the rest of the night.
7. Rooms: old mattresses, old windows that let the cold wind in, doors difficult to lock or unlock.
8. if you have a complain, you are answered that they do what they are told by the boss and we should address ourselves to him. (the boss did not notice that his chat with his employee at 90 decibels was bothering 3 customer in the living room. He does not greet you anyway.)

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank Phyla
Reviewed November 2, 2010

a bit tricky to find, the hostel is split in two with reception and dorm on one side of a stairwell, and other rooms, bathrooms and half a kitchen on the other side. OK location near metro stations. Friendly staff, pretty secure.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple