“A unique taste of Russia”
Review of Cafe Pushkin

Cafe Pushkin
Ranked #14 of 14,543 Restaurants in Moscow
Cuisines: European, Russian
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: Tverskaya
Reviewed June 24, 2013

Do not miss out on a visit to the Pushkin cafe. Reservations are not easy to get but if you have a local friend or a good concierge at your hote, this is the BEST place to have a meal and get a taste of Russia. The atmosphere is cozy, quaint.. books line the walls, the homey feel of the cafe is just right for a get together with friends which is what we did.. The menu is so extensive and everything is absolutely delicious. I tried home makde cranberry apertif, borscht with sliced apple, various kinds of pies stuffed with meat, fish, mushrooms and cabbage. My friends who are all local Moscovites love this place and recommend it to anyone who wishes to have a taste of Russian food. It is very pricey so be prepared to spend money. For six of us the bill including the tip came to 19,000 rubles which was about $625 US dollars.. But well worth it..

Write a ReviewReviews (6,294)

Reviewed June 24, 2013

Exquisite taste of Russian XIX century, with its true, inimitable, somewhat naïve and provincial, synthesis of native Russian and gallomaniac French dishes and beverages. Quality and taste are above all appraisal.

Reviewed June 24, 2013

A friend of my son recommended us this restaurant in Moscow, close to the Bolshoi theater and Tvereskaya street. The buildng is beautiful, the decoration inside too, and the food is not only delicious but served beatifully. Must reserve, prices are high.

Reviewed June 23, 2013

Before my trip to Moscow, quite a few people recommended this restaurant to me. I booked a table for a special occasion-- my birthday. Due to the weight of the package, I did not put anything formal into my suitcase. Therefore, I went to the restaurant casual. The waiter kept certain distance in the attitude. Okay, I understand that this is my fault not to dress up, so that I do not get the proper reception.
When the starter came, I feel this restaurant worth the price-- fresh, delicate and tasteful. However, the main course is really disappointing-- average, as you can get in any other "common" French restaurant across Europe. The so-called "dessert Cafe Pushkin" costs almost 20 EUR, but nothing special. It tasted almost the same as the dessert from the canteen of my company. (Of course, my company enjoys a good reputation among Munich corporates, but I pay 70 Cent for the dessert when I have lunch at Canteen.)
Summary: Atmosphere okay, food average. For real "food-seeker", this is not the place you should visit. For the same price, you can dine twice in a superb restaurant in Munich.

Reviewed June 23, 2013

I went to Cafe Pushkin with a group of business colleagues.From start to finish, it was a fantastic experience. We sat in the library room, and the surroundings were stunning. Staff dressed in period costume, and knowledgeable about the dishes. Our party ate a wide range of foods - and there was not one complaint. My food was superb- borsch, suckling pig with a fruit reduction, and the highlight of my meal - sturgeon served with a creamy caviar sauce. It was a truly wonderful meal. I would highly recommend this restaurant to anyone who wants to push the boat out.