“made for tourists, but a nice experience”
Review of Cafe Pushkin

Cafe Pushkin
Ranked #13 of 13,716 Restaurants in Moscow
Cuisines: European, Russian
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: Tverskaya
Oslo, Norway
“made for tourists, but a nice experience”
Reviewed May 24, 2013

good place to get to try Russian food - even though certainly overpriced. staff speaks English which cannot be claimed about many other places in Moscow

Visited May 2013

• Turkish first
Moscow, Russia
“Still great!”
Reviewed May 22, 2013

Cafe Pushkin never disappoints. Customer service is great, especially on the Library floor. Food is still up to par. Decor is very niceEnjoyed it again this past month and couldn't believe the've only gotten better! Hope to take all of my international friends there one day)))

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank inessa_princessa
Australia
“Beautiful restaurant with varied quality of food and service”
Reviewed May 17, 2013 via mobile

My husband and two friends are travelling in Moscow from Australia. I was a little reluctant to go to Cafe Pushkin, as like Procope in Paris, I imagined a beautiful setting with average food and service. I was mostly correct. However in saying that, our table on the second floor in the library could not have been better. Unfortunately the waiter, allocated to our table, could have been. Not only was he sullen with a pretentious attitude, he did not help us with menu choices and when I asked him about the specialities of the house he couldn't advise. Conversely at the next table from us, I could see a waiter full of enthusiasm guiding 'his' patrons through the extensive menu. This would have bothered me less if we knew what the restaurant's best dishes were. So we persevered. We chose the various pies each filled with mushroom, cabbage and potato. They were very average and nothing like the delicious Russian Pirogi I would expect. We ordered Russian Borscht, Herring with hot potatoes and some pickled cucumbers to kick off our Russian meal. The main course was difficult. I ordered a Veal Cutlet after asking the waiter if it was served on the bone with his answer in the affirmative. Others ordered Beef Stroganoff, Tuna with Crab Ravioli and another type of veal. Whilst we were waiting we noticed the table next to us eating blini with caviar. We cancelled the borscht and ordered the same HOWEVER we made the mistake of ordering a serving each. I think we seriously needed some guidance from our waiter at this point as one serve to share would have allowed us to choose the much more expensive black caviar, not the red. But, despite this it was really delicious, as was the herring and pickled cucumbers (you can't go too wrong with a salty fish and a sour cucumber!) the downfall for me was three out of the four main courses. My veal cutlet was not on the bone and was in fact, two minced veal patties laid out on a plate, with what I can only describe as something resembling a coral sculpture in the worst possible taste with one cherry tomato and what looked like a orange dyed baby corn precipitously balanced on a tower of something. Mashed potato sat below and a pastry basket sat atop the veal, filled with a jus. It looked ridiculous. To be fair it tasted okay but it was not what I had expected after asking the waiter. The beef stroganoff was average and my husband sent it back because it was cold! My friend assures me the tuna was lovely, but it too, was served in something carved to look like a canoe. Maybe the chef was doing a water theme. The only 'elegant' looking dish was the veal on the bone which my friend had ordered and said was delicious. We chose no dessert but ordered a wild strawberry jam to drink with the tea.(Russian custom) That was also delicious. To summarise, if you go, pray you get a good waiter not ours. Order the blini and other appetisers and take pot luck with the main course. This is an expensive restaurant and should have been better on many fronts.

Visited May 2013
2 Thank PennyhAustralia
Portland
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Easter dinner at Cafe Pushkin”
Reviewed May 16, 2013

Great Russia food with an international twist, great atmosphere and very good service. Right for a great evening out.

Visited April 2013
Moscow, Russia
“Back in the Pushkin time surrounded by books and clasical musique”
Reviewed May 14, 2013

While the ground floor is decorated like a french Bistro (meaning quick in Russian), I would definitively recommend you to book a table in the Library on the 2nd floor.

If you have read the experience of other traveler you know that the food, wine and environement is very good but what makes the difference for me is that Café Pushkin is probably the only restaurant in Moscow where they care about the service. It's not only a show off like in some other place. Here they ensure that all plate for the table get served in a proper way and in due time.

I love this place and would recommend you to go to taste their Russian cuisine. Let the waiter recommend you, he is local and know what is good. Don't go their if you plan to eat european, try Russian food.

You must try le Crème Brullée as a desert. The story around it with Napoleon and the show about how it is served deserve a try

• Visited February 2013