“Just how you would picture a late 19th century eating establishment !”
Review of Cafe Pushkin

Cafe Pushkin
Ranked #37 of 14,835 Restaurants in Moscow
Cuisines: European, Russian
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: Tverskaya
Reviewed March 21, 2013

The decor and atmosphere make this a must see restaurant in Moscow. The food was very good, but very russian, meaning on the heavier side. We were told it was the most expensive restaurant in Moscow, and it is very pricy indeed, but worth the experience.

Write a ReviewReviews (6,589)

Reviewed March 20, 2013

This is a very nice though crowdy place to dine or have drinks. Supposedly very famous as well. Prices are pretty high but you get excellent service, a huge choice on the multilangual menu and the food is delicious, from the Borsch until the desert (fabulous creme brulee fraises). Recommended

Reviewed March 17, 2013

We went to this our first night in Moscow, It was a very traditional restaurant and the food came with many artistic touches. I ha d the salmon and it was fesh, well cooked and quite delicious.

Reviewed March 15, 2013

Pushkin Restaurant
This is a very up-market restaurant in central Moscow. It is housed in an historic 18th century building. Despite the name, the building is not linked to the famous poet, who, anyway, lived in St Petersburg and not Moscow. There are two floors. The upper one is done out like Pushkin’s library, all oak panels and book shelves. When I went there was classical music provided by a harpist and a flautist. Waiters are dress a la 18th century. The food is Russian. I was a guest at a formal dinner. When we arrived the table was already laden with zakuski (starters)….picked cucumbers, and mushrooms, red and black caviar and blini (small pancakes), herring with potatoes, various pirogi (small pies) of pork and veal and fish and the ubiquitous smetana (sour cream), with which Russian cannot live. It was wonderful. The waiter asked me ‘vodka ili vino, vodka or wine? I chose vodka. Russians being Russians insisted on me trying everything. “Try some ***” “ Do have some ***.” They would reach over and fill my plate with whatever took their fancy. The zakuzki were wonderful.
In Russia you cannot drink without a toast. Toasting does not come naturally to a Brit. We only ever do it at weddings. However, in Russia everyone is expected to make at least one toast at any dinner, whether formal or informal. It is an opportunity to say kind words about whoever takes your fancy, and with no attempt at ingratiation. Toasting comes from the heart, not the head. I learned that the third toast is traditionally reserved for ‘the ladies’. There are a lot of conventions in Russia. A single lady must not sit next to the end of the table, or she will remain single. A bottle, once opened, must be emptied etc. The surroundings in Pushkin felt just right. Before very long we were all in great spirits…there is definitely a correlation between the level of vodka in the bottle and the generosity of the toasts and the good humour. Russians are unbeatable hosts. Their generosity knows no bounds.
The zakuki were followed by okroshka, a soup made of kvass (a drink made of fermented rye bread) and meat. I was already full so eating the soup was a challenge. My heart sank when the waiter asked me about my main course. I went for the Pojarski veal rissoles, although the golova shschochya looked like the more authentic choice…but I decided to leave the pike’s head stuffed with fish for another day. I struggled with the main course, merely picking at it. A pity, as it was delicious.
I would give Pushkin 10/10 for ambiance. The food was also great. OK, it is a bit touristy, but who cares? It was great fun. Main courses are between 1000 to 1500 roubles (£22, €25, $33). Service was excellent. Pushkin is a must for the reasonably well-healed tourist and a great place for a business dinner, Russian style.

4  Thank Peter C
Reviewed March 15, 2013

Fantastic service with extremely nice staff. Great food, beautiful interior and not even difficult to get a table without reservation. I recommend you don't miss this when you are in Moscow, a little bit pricey but well worth it experience wise. You can feel comfortable that you get good food here, genuine Russian cuisine.