“Overrated!”
Review of Maharaja - CLOSED

Maharaja
Cuisines: Indian, Asian
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Zurich, Switzerland
“Overrated!”
Reviewed November 15, 2012

Me (Swiss) went there with my wife (originally from Russia)

Service:
They tried to be friendly but to be frank, the have no clue.
Found a hair in my gravy, the check contained 3 items that i had 2 times.

Food:
Less than average. The owner asked me about the quality and i told him that i was not the best quality after all i described above. He then tried to tell me, that russians (meaning my wife) had no clue about indian food. I then explained him that we life in Switzerland and i worked in Delhi and Mumbai and hence knew how real indian food tastes like. He looked a bit surprised (probably he thought that my wife is an escort and me a tourist).

And if my wife hadn't checked the bill carefully (written in cyrillic) they would have screwed us by 1000 Rubles (~35 dollars)

Bad experience....

• Visited October 2012
3 Thank Fred S

Kazan, Russia
“an Indian oasis in the middle of Moscow”
Reviewed November 13, 2012

the taste, atmosphere, presentation were all beyond our expectations although first we approached Maharaja with some suspicion. Manager s close interest and attentiveness, his explanations about the food all added up to our delight. We tried different dishes as lamb, chicken all with spicies. Appetizers were also delicious. I noticed that there were lots of regulars. Although my stomach s very sensitive to bad food, i only felt full satisfaction. Highly recommended

• Visited November 2012
2 Thank mete_canbolat
Riga, Latvia
“Threw up while eating the food”
Reviewed October 3, 2012

While in the middle of eating my food, I felt sick and rushed to the bathroom to throw up. I then informed the manager and he insisted it was because of the weather, not because of their food. I didn't want to stiff them despite the horrible food, so I paid the bill and left. For the next few days I was throwing up and had other stomach problems. Fortunately after a few days, I was better but I will never go back there. They don't care at all about their customers.

The food is also extremely overpriced, several times the price of other Indian restaurants and they don't have a business lunch.

If you don't want to be sick, stay away!

• Visited August 2012
7 Thank sigulda158
Vienna, Austria
“DEFENETLY BEST INDIAN IN MOSCOW - BEATS MANY ELSEWHERE ! JUST GREAT”
Reviewed September 6, 2012

Dear TA Readers, having read a few comments good and not so good i wanted to share my opinion here about Maharaja. Living 8 years in moscow as an expat and having been in Maharaja 150 times over 8 years and being a hospitality proffesional - i guess i must say it is a very nice place. food is very tasty and staff are with friendly attention to the guests- as to note - this you dont get in mosocw or if you get it you had a lucky day.
yes the interiour can be argued with, and yes when it is extremely busy you might recieve not the attention which you recieve at home - but as also another person stated - everythign is relative. And 9 times out of 10 when coming there i have and my friends a fantastic time.
i suppose if you go to a Indian restaurant you want indian food and a basic calm time - well this is what you get, Good food, tasty and nice service.
Prices are on the higher side yes BUT bare in mind if you are ordering a starter and main - this will fill you up (if you are able to finish it!) - so if anyone goes on ordering 1-2-3 starters and the same for main course - leaving half the food and complaining about high prices then there is no comment to make.

i have visited ALL Indian restaurants in Moscow and some yes - more fancy interiour or lower prices - but the cannot match Maharaja.

Thanks for reading,
Enjoy your Dine out Time - where ever you eat.

• Visited August 2012
1 Thank Thomas K
“STAY AS FAR AWAY FROM THIS PLACE AS YOU CAN”
Reviewed August 21, 2012 via mobile

I often rely on TA to choose restaurants. I carefully scrutinise each review to look for commonality, trends, etc. The process is not easy. The views of the reviewers vary and sometimes considerably. When I see many positive reviews with only one or two negative ones, I generally take the view that the negative reviewers or the restaurant itself might have simply had a bad day. Generally this approach works, and even restaurants which have had the occasional bad review on TA turn out to be gems. NOT SO HERE. Having relied on TA and eaten at 'Maharaja' last night, I must warn my dear fellow TA readers: there is NO CONNECTION WHATSOEVER between what the positive TA reviews say and the reality of the deceitful Moscow racket named 'Maharaja.' This hellhole would go out of business immediately in any other country -- it has the absolute LOWEST quality of food at the most ridiculously HIGH prices, and (apart from the friendly smile of the waitress, a rarity in Moscow restaurants generally ) the service was entirely unprofessional.  The food was decidedly inauthentic. It lacked any attention to detail. Fresh Indian food can be such a delight, with the variety of spices and possibilities for combination of subtle tastes, textures and sensory experiences. Instead, this food was bland and tasted like it came from a jar on a supermarket shelf.  In fact, that might even be the case.  It fell far below event the worst institutional food one might eat in a poorly-funded hospital canteen or college dormitory. Many  of the sauces in the different dishes we ordered tasted almost identical to each other. The quality of the ingredients used (particularly the meat) was substandard. I felt sick all evening afterwards and lost an entire night of sleep from stomach problems. As for the price, many Moscow restaurants are high-priced, but one can still get some rough correlation between the quality and the cost. This is not the case here. The astronomical bill was totally out of line with the food we ate. WARNING TO ALL TA READERS - MAHARAJA IS A RACKET, PURE AND SIMPLE. THE LIKELIHOOD IS THAT IT HAS STAYED IN BUSINESS FOR REASONS OTHER THAN ITS FOOD. THE POSITIVE REVIEWS ON TA ABOUT IT ARE A DECEPTION. I QUESTION THEIR AUTHENTICITY. STAY AS FAR AWAY FROM THIS PLACE AS YOU POSSIBLY CAN.

4 Thank TJS1234