“Absolute dump”
Review of Napoleon Hostel

Napoleon Hostel
Ranked #689 of 1,623 Specialty Lodging in Moscow
Reviewed February 6, 2013

I can honestly say that this is by far the most disgusting depressing hostel I have ever stayed at. Our first impression were bums sleeping outside in the hallway of the hostel building, which turned out to be a nightly affair. Not really synonymous with "home away from home".

Not sure how my friend and I managed to stay 2 nights, but found the courage to escape this oppressive sty and flee to a better hostel for our final night in Moscow. The two nights were awful. The place is filled with old people and vagrants, without a single backpacker in sight. Not a word of english was spoken and felt the constant need to strangle the life out of fear wallets for fear of being mugged. The location is the only plus, but is surrounded by crummy bars and poor food joints.

The front desk was as useless as a stapler without staples. Didn't know a thing about tours and acted like we were asking the world... Typical Russian "service". Also cleanliness is a huge issue at this hostel, bathrooms were disgusting and either out of order or simply not properly stacked.

Basically we were hoping for a bit of a safe haven (at least place to put our feet up) at the end of day but turned out avoiding the hostel like the plague. We mustered up the strength to return after retiring from nearby bars to ease the harsh reality of Napoleon hell.

Without enraging myself further by reminding more of this oppressive dump, I will simply add that this is NOT a backpackers hostel. It is a shoddy halfway house. Be warned.

P.S. don't expect any locks on doors, secure bag drop off or individual lockers that can store more than a loaf of bread.

• Stayed: February 2013
6  Thank Travelingbackpack

Reviewed January 29, 2013 via mobile

Stayed for few days and I wish I stayed longer. The location of the hostel is great, and stuff was very nice and helpful. They helped me with planning my trips and there was always someone at the desk. Also the price for the room is very cheap

• Stayed: January 2013
1  Thank trucizna007
Reviewed November 4, 2012

Moscow is realy cold at this time... Lukly Napoleon Hostel is always warm and plenty of nice people, guests and emplyees! Loved the mexican bar with 50rubles shots!!! haha

To be true, I was a litlle afraid about what the hostel would be like. For sure is not like home where you have your mom always cleaning around, but ist clean! beds are good and guest don't make much noise.

Napoleon hostel is very easy to find, although it is in a 4th flour=\, and all emplyees talk very good english (even beter than mine)

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Lionel P
Reviewed October 30, 2012

My friend and I stayed at this hostel for one night. When we were walking up,the 4 flights of stairs, with backpacks and we saw cigarette buds and bottles of alcohol outside the door, we were a bit concerned. We entered the hostel, were checked in and wanted to leave our bags, we were told to leave them by the door, not locked or secured at all. That should have made us pack our bags and leave, but no, we stayed.

We came back and no one was at the front desk to help us with some questions.The staff couldn't be bothered to help us, we were standing and waiting there for a couple of minutes, when all of a sudden someone says from the couch, "Do you need help?" NO, we like standing like idiots at front desks for our own enjoyment.

There were 3 bathrooms and one shower (that we saw). We stayed in a 10 person dorm.

It is located within walking distance of the Kremlin and Red Square.

Trust me, one night there was enough for us.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
6  Thank dia l
Reviewed October 24, 2012 via mobile

If you are looking for nothing fancy but with a lot of cool party people come here. Clubs are nearby and there is party all over the night at the hostel.
Don't forget your flip flops for the shower...

• Stayed: October 2012
Reviewed October 3, 2012

This was an interesting hostel which can be best described as a reminder of student halls- with all the Good... and all the bad...
So close to night life (but relatively quite inside), lots of people chatting etc They've enough sense to have some doors leading to the rooms.
But the downside... sometimes drunken people (and resultant mess) in the common room areas.
This is in huge contrast to 3 Penguins Hostel which was more like a family home at the other extreme.
So choose your bed. Literally!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank AllanSMW
Reviewed September 16, 2012

To make a long story short: I chose to go to a different hostel ("Moskau Hostel") in the same street (which was also much nicer and newer from inside).
The story / reasons:
I have not been welcomed nicely, rather rude. Of course it was not possible to check in a bit before official check in time (and I was told by some of the international crowd already living there, that beds are done already). Apparently the check in desk had a strange definition of service or maybe she just had a bad day...
I could see a cue infront of the bath (only 2 bathrooms for many people) and the "welcome"-check-in-room was not really tidy, but rather spread with chips and bread crums.
The only good thing I could see is the central location, but I had that in the other hostel anyway.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo