“Never stay in this hostel, terrible”
Review of Napoleon Hostel

Napoleon Hostel
Ranked #662 of 1,518 Specialty Lodging in Moscow
“Never stay in this hostel, terrible”
Reviewed March 29, 2012

I book for 2 weeks a this hostel. I noted that the bathrooms are a mess, not clean. The kitchen most of the time is in use by other people (that usually stay around just to chat). the staff and travelers (who likes to drink) are always drunk at night at the lobby which is close to the rooms. One day I went out and when I came back to the hostel, they gave my bed to another person who book for 2 days, it was my first week, completely ridiculous I book for 2 weeks the same happen to another guy who book for one week. They don't even have water to drink, you boil your own water or buy it. The staff is terrible. the on thing good thing about this hostel is the location, closed to the tourist places. In my experience I don't recommend this hostel I had a bad experience in this hostel in my first time in Moscow

• Stayed August 2011
1 Thank Zeros-K
NapoleonHostelMoscow, Manager at Napoleon Hostel, responded to this review, April 23, 2012
Dear Sir/Madam,
Thank-you for taking the time to write your recent review. I am sorry if you found certain aspects of your stay to be unsatisfactory. You mention that the kitchen was in use by other guests, this seems to be a strange comment as of course guests like to cook, and of course guests like to socialise with each other and this invariably takes place in the kitchen or in the living room.
You mention that we don’t have water to drink. Russia like many countries in the world does not treat its water to be drinkable from the tap. Therefore, like many other countries in the world, you either need to boil the water or buy mineral water, which you can buy from our small bar, or one of the many local supermarkets in the area.
The staff are not allowed to drink while working, so I guess you are confusing some guests who you thought were the staff. You say that the staff were terrible, I point I strongly disagree with. The staff are multilingual in a minimum of 2 languages, many speak many more, and are always on hand, 24 hours a day to answer any questions you might have, or to book you tickets, taxis, or whatever assistance you may require. All you need to do is ask. Many other reviewers are very quick to commend the staff on their work and helpfulness.
It is impossible that we gave your bed to another guest. All the beds have the guests name and check-out date on them to avoid precisely this situation. It is possible that another guest mistook your bed for theirs, and if you had of informed reception we would have rectified this situation straight away.
I thank you for pointing out that the location is very good, and that you rated the hostel as excellent value for money.
Kind Regards
MANAGER
NAPOLEON Hostel, Moscow

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 24, 2012

I stayed there for 5 nights.I can't complain much because it was really cheap! The staff was friendly and with good English.The location was perfect,just 10 mins away from the Red Square!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 16, 2012

The hostel is really very well located, in one of the central parts of the town near the kremlin (15-20m walking)

we got a really cheap promotion on booking.com for 5nights, so we can't complain at all.

The staff is really nice and ready to help.

The only thing we thought, was that it was a bit noisy.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed January 30, 2012

I stayed at Napolean hostel for three nights and had the best sleeps of my trip there!! The location is brilliant, a simple 7 minute walk straight down the street to red square. Met some cool people and had a great time. The common area is really interesting heaps of cool stuff on the walls and interesting books to read. I would totally stay there again in fact Moscow is freakin awesome id love to return!

Room Tip: The 8 bed dorm is all good. get what you pay for but lots of space and powerpoints etc.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
ISTANBUL
Reviewed December 23, 2011

I have been there for four nights and had a nice stay overall. Hostel manager Richard took me to a club on my first night, which was nice. He has been friendly & smiley all the time. Receptionist Kate was helpful and caring, we had good conversations during my stay. Cleanliness and rooms are average but you should never forget that this is only a hostel not a hotel! If you are alone, looking for nice location and would like to meet new people I am sure you will be satisfied with this hostel! Please do not hesitate to give them a try!

• Stayed December 2011
1 Thank taneryildiz
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 28, 2011

I stayed at the Napoleon Hostel for two nights. I was in a 6-bed female dorm. The facilities were good and the beds comfortable (A change having just come from Asia). The staff are very friendly and helpful with good English. The common area is a gret place to mingle with others or just relax. It was a bit tricky finding the hostel as there is a tiny sign stuck to the wall and that is it. My taxi driver had to call to find out exactly where it was.
The location is great. 5-10 mins walking to Red Square and only a few to the metro. I had a few meals at the little cafe 30 seconds walk on the corner. Food was good but not sure about the smoking. Reminded me of Australia like 15-20 years ago!
The only down side was the stairs up to the hostel. It was on the fourth floor and very hard to get luggage up and down the stairs especially when there is a bit of weight involved.
Would recommend it though.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
Glasgow, Scotland
Reviewed April 20, 2011

The hostel is in a great location, very near to the main sights, the staff were very friendly. As a lone traveller on a Round The World trip I enjoy socialising with other travellers and talking about our travels. Unfortunately there seemed to be few if any backpackers there. I shared a room with people who mainly seemed to be long term residents and Russian businessmen. It is a shame because the hostel has nice rooms, free laundry and great Wi-Fi, just not a very comfortable atmosphere when I stayed.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled solo