“Good and bad”

Ranked #41 of 320 Hotels in Moscow
London, United Kingdom
“Good and bad”
Reviewed February 2, 2014

Ok, the good bits. It's central, short walk everywhere. and the furnishings in my room were fine. The bed was comfortable. I was at the back/side if the hotel, it was quiet. The room was clean. All good so far. Them's the highlights.

The bad bits. The reception and staff in general don't speak English as well as the website suggests. WIFI costs circa £10 an hour if you want it in your room! That's half of the fee I pay a month at home!

Turning to the issues which arose! First, yes it was cold outside, but the temperature in my room was a constant 25 degrees. Too uncomfortable to sleep. So, i tried the cool air thermostat in my room. It didn't work. I rang reception. They had no idea what I was saying. End of conversation. It was boiling.....

Secondly, English TV is limited to CNN, BBC, so heeding this, I brought 6 DVDs with me, so after dinner I could watch a film on the laptop and relax. I am leaving with 5 DVDs. The other was obviously mislaid.

Thirdly, Maid came in twice, once without knocking, straight past the DO NOT DISTURB sign. Having flown from New York to London to Moscow in 36 hours, I just wanted to sleep. No chance!

Pricing - dear. Let's look at the bill. One sandwich with fries, slice of cheesecake and two glasses of plonk £37. So, if you're thinking that Moscow is cheap, think again. Travel is at 28 roubles for anywhere on the metro, but the hotel is very, very expensive. People say London is dear, but having been to London, New York, Delhi, Perth, Copenhagen, Dubai etc in the last 10 weeks, this hotel is way up there on price.

Would I stay here again? I doubt it. Would I recommend it? No. There are other Hotels locally that are getting better reviews.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
Ksenia M, Менеджер по связям с общественностью at Peter I, responded to this review, February 5, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review of our hotel.

I certainly apologize for the problems that you experienced. We take these comments very seriously, and I can assure you we will be taking steps to make sure all units are working to optimum efficiency – we will follow up on the problems you've pointed out. We appreciate your comments, and hope that you will give us another chance to be of service.

Best Regards,
Ksenia Marshavina, PR manager.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Reviewed January 26, 2014

The hotel is nicely furnished and the staff are very helpful. My room was comfortable and it is a short walk to the Red Square, Kremlin and shopping centre.

It's rather pricey, but so are all Moscow hotels. In fact, Moscow is just one big cash removal zone, you can't really do it on a budget. I found it value for money, considering the location and in comparison to other hotels.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Svetlana K, Менеджер по связям с общественностью at Peter I, responded to this review, January 27, 2014
Dear Eliot,
Thank you very much for sharing your comments with us on Tripadvisor following your recent stay in Moscow!
We are delighted that you enjoyed the hotel, the location and its services and hope that we will be able to welcome you back very soon!

Yours sincerely,
Svetlana Khardikova
Peter I Hotel
Padova
Reviewed January 9, 2014

The hotel has a very good location near Kremlin and Bolshoi theatre in a very nice building. Unfortunately interiors are quite old and sometimes in awful conditions. For example Moquette floor had holes in the room. Organization of hotel and its Management seems also to be old, starting from staff attitude. However prices are not high and rooms are enough big and comfortable.
I would recommend it for trips with a low budget and with no high expectations. Definitely this is not a five star hotel, but a good one.

Room Tip: It would be better to check conditions of interiors. Our room had holes in the moquette!
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Euram
Ksenia M, Менеджер по связям с общественностью at Peter I, responded to this review, January 9, 2014
Dear Euram,

First of all, I would like to thank you for choosing Peter I Hotel for your Moscow stay.

Thank you for taking the time out to give us your feedback - it is very important to us.

We are really sorry that you found our organization of hotel and management old.

We are constantly training our staff to provide great service for our guests.

Your comment is very important to us and we do hope to have the pleasure of seeing you again soon at the Peter I Hotel and making your stay most enjoyable.

With best regards,
Marshavina Ksenia, PR manager.
vilnius
Reviewed January 5, 2014

This very centrally located hotel was real surprise for me. So many times in Moscow we had to overpay for a questionable facilities, while this time coming to celebrate New Year we found this 4 star hotel for very reasonable price, 140 EUR for double room including breakfast and free champaign for 3 mornings… Staff is very friendly and helpful, all main Moscow attractions within 20 min, walking distance. Another important quality - this hotel was very near to main New year's eve celebrations but in the rooms - no sign of noise.
After long walks we really enjoyed Turkish bath, jacuzzi and pool - all included in the room price. Will stay in Peter I again for sure.

Room Tip: Rooms facing courtyard are quitter
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank raliska a
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review and for sharing your experience on TripAdvisor.

We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay and will share your opinion with all relevant staff members.

We are happy to be your favorite hotel at the center of Moscow and always looking forward to see you again.

With best regards,
Marshavina Ksenia,
PR manager.
Reviewed December 23, 2013

Almost nobody, except some people at the Hotel spoke English here. We were here 4 days, but to see all you want in Moscow 2 days is more than enough. The Hotel is OK, but has much higher prices for food and drinks than others in the area.
We were warned about how things are in Moscow. Everything was good until we left to go home. The transportation back to the airport said they couldn’t get us there in time, since there have been two accidents! We had an agreement before with 2800 Rubels to get us there. He told us we had to find another solution and asked us how much money we got. We, of course we understand this is not good – but didn’t have any choice, told we had around 3060 Rubels. They needed everything. This would be with the airport train and the best seats, etc. The driver drove us to the station and bought two tickets and helped us into the train. This was standard seats and the tickets cost 320 Rubels for each. Two tickets are 640 Rubels and 3060 minus 640 is 2420. The train station was less than 10 minutes from the hotel. This is a clear rip-off.
I complained to the Hotel and asked for a reply two more times before I finally got one. I also sent them a copy of the tickets. They told us the driver forgot to give us the money back. ??? We have both been to many countries and so far Moscow Peter 1 is the worst. Our advice to all: Travel someplace else. Even if you go for the best hotels, they still try to take all your money.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank MrOHill
Ireland
Reviewed December 22, 2013

I stayed in Petr 1 in September, October and December 2013 on business. I can't fault the service food etc. The hotel is 1km from red square which is why it's so expensive. It's also a ten minute walk from the office which is why the cost was justifiable, when I went to a cheaper location further out on may I was told I would be waiting two hours for a taxi. Hotel WiFi is extra in room and is patchy at best. However WiFi in lobby bar is good and free ( although a glass of beer does cost about $10 but there is piano music every evening)

The food is good in the evening but again a bit expensive , you can eat cheaper nearby but when it's -15°c outside you don't bother.
Breakfast is included in rate but isn't great.

In short I would stay there again as, it's central, safe, close to work but I do feel it's expensive.

• Stayed December 2013
1 Thank Brendan_Ireland
Tel Aviv, Israel
Reviewed December 10, 2013

Have been in the hotel for 3 nights. location excellent, Service excellent, Breakfast excellent, Room spacious and clean and well kept. walking distance from the Metro and red square. I have searched for something that needs improvment and eventually found one small things... complimentry water will be a small but very effective addition.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the back, there is an office and a small street on that side and is very quiet...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Svetlana K, Head of marketing and advertising department of Peter I hotel at Peter I, responded to this review, December 12, 2013
Dear guest,