“An excellent location”
Review of Peter I

Peter I
Ranked #38 of 327 Hotels in Moscow
Reviewed October 17, 2013

We spent four nights in this very comfortable hotel. Rooms are spacious with nice toiletries and the breakfast is excellent. A surprise was the quality of the restaurant meals. We tried eating locally but found the hotel offered better quality (especially excellent vegetables) and a better price. It is an easy walk to Red Square and the Bolshoi. Water is expensive so we crossed the street and walked a block and a half to the convenience store for inexpensive water.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back are very quiet. Rooms at the front may be noisy as it is a busy street
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ladygolfer19
Svetlana K, Head of advertising and marketing department at Peter I, responded to this reviewResponded October 21, 2013

Dear guest,
Thank you for your recent stay with us and reviewing our property. We value and appreciate that you have chosen our hotel, and hope to see you again soon!

Best regards,
Svetlana Khardikova
Head of advertising and marketing department

Reviewed October 6, 2013

After a long day of traveling, delays, and a hair-raising trip from the Moscow airport, we entered the Peter 1 Hotel. While the lobby wasn't large, it was nicely furnished, a piano playing by the bar, and several couples in conversation. Our room was large, high ceilings with decorative molding, floor to ceiling drapes. It felt like walking into a 1940s movie set. Everything was very clean and well appointed. The room had a coffee (decaf) and tea service, complimentary water and a plate of fruit - the only thing that looked a little worn. We stayed for two nights. Breakfast was included in our stay. It was quite extensive, with 5 or 6 hot options each morning (ex. two types of meats or sausage, eggs - usually boiled or scrambled - blini, latkes, other pancakes), hot and cold cereal, the standard cold cuts, cheeses, salmon, kippers, cold vegetables and pickels as well as many fruit selections, yogurts and a very nice assortment of pastries/ fresh breads/ rolls, etc. Tea, coffee, juices and champagne were plentiful. We were on the VIP floor, which I assume is the equivalent of the concierge floor, but elected to have our breakfast downstairs (it was available in the lounge also, but the selection was smaller). The rest of the day the lounge offered biscuits, cold drinks, fruit, tea and coffee, with some hot selections and desserts in the evening. The lounge was somewhat small and the service excellent, but almost smothering as there were never more than one or two people there.

The bathroom was large and comfortable with lavish amenities and toiletries. Everything was very clean. There was plenty of closet space.

Hotel was centrally located and convenient to Bolshoi, metros, etc. It was helpful to have an ATM in the lobby.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Svetlana K, Head od marketing & advertising department at Peter I, responded to this reviewResponded October 11, 2013

Dear guest,
Thank you for taking the time to review our property. We highly value views, opinions and feedback from our guests, as this allows us to constantly improve the service we provide. We very much appreciate your review and we hope to see you again soon!

Svetlana Khardikova
Head od marketing & advertising department
Peter I Hotel

Reviewed October 1, 2013

can`t get better location: steps from subway station " Kuznetskiy Most" in city center. Walking distance to Kremlin and all attractions in center. Staff is helpful and rooms size are nice too. Huge surprise on mini bar prices compare to other properties in Moscow.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
Svetlana K, Head of marketing & advertising department at Peter I, responded to this reviewResponded October 4, 2013

Dear guest
We really appreciate your positive comments regarding your stay with us. We value and appreciate that you have chosen our hotel, and we look forward to the next opportunity to serve you.

Best regards,
Svetlana Khardikova
Head of marketing & advertising department

Reviewed September 30, 2013

I was very happy in this property. I think it is the best option in Moscow, combination of excellent service, best location and beautiful properties. I love Alexei (I think is his name) he is the bell man or door man. He is veery good. I would really return to Moscow.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
Svetlana K, Marketing & advertising department at Peter I, responded to this reviewResponded October 1, 2013

Dear guest,
Thank you for your very positive comments regarding your stay with us. We very much appreciate your review and we hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed September 25, 2013

Stayed sept 2013. £200 per night. Not worth it. Great central location, room was good size, but breakfast was little more Han airport food. Good selection, but poor quality. Water pressure not good in the hotel either.
Concierge wasnt at his desk on 2 occasions I needed him, and appeared to be regular complaint from guests. Very clean though, and staff friendly...not worth the price though

Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank Paul D
Khardikova, Менеджер по связям с общественностью at Peter I, responded to this reviewResponded September 26, 2013

Dear guest,
Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us your feedback! We certainly apologize for the problems that you experienced. Your comments are very important for as and allow to constantly improve the service we provide. We value and appreciate that you have chosen our hotel, and we look forward to the next opportunity to serve you.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

I've stayed here 3 times in 2013 (March, April, July) so I have a good feel for how they handle peak and non-peak visits. Also, I am a fluent - though non-native - speaker of Russian, have lived in and been traveling to the country over the last 25 years, so I have a broad exposure to the variety of hotel service and prices in this very expensive city. What probably attracts most people to this hotel is the price to location ratio. Other reviewers have accurately described why the location is prime for business travelers and tourists, and the pleasing breakfast buffet (though the coffee is five shades of awful).

Apart from location, the most consistent thing about this hotel is its variability. Yes, I realize that sounds odd, but whether dealing with the front desk, the bellman, maintenance worker or wait staff, I've encountered the full spectrum of service quality, from spot on professionalism to downright slimy. An illustration of the latter: the hotel subcontracts with a car service which provides a convenient if pricey way to arrange a ride since taxis do not frequently run up and down Neglinnaya. For an early morning departure, I booked a car and asked the hotel to charge my room. The driver, in the presence of a younger and easily intimidated front desk clerk "suggested" I'd have more reliable service if I paid cash. After they went a few heated rounds on the question, she nearly caved in to him when I reminded them both that how the driver in their employ got paid was not my concern but as client I was fully within my rights to ask the hotel to charge my room. The scenario reminded me of the roguish 90s and made my skin crawl. On the positive side, I had room maintenance concerns that were addressed quickly and pleasantly, and on 2 of the 3 trips the restaurant staff could not have been nicer.

Overall, don't count on this as being the place of your dreams. Take it for what it is: well located and competitively priced, but no bargain.

Room Tip: If you prefer a bathtub, be aware that your room will face the street. If you prefer a quieter room...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Liz M
Reviewed August 26, 2013

Visiting Moscow for the weekend I recently stayed at the Peter I hotel Saturday night with my girlfriend, our first time visiting this hotel. I should mention that my girlfriend and I are perfectly fluent in Russian (in Russia, basically, we are locals) so our interactions with staff in what follows should be understood to have been in Russian language and that we received the sort of service a Russian traveler from a different region would get when visiting Moscow.

That's actually not a bad caveat for international travelers reading this review since Russian hotels will reflexively do their best for foreigners but sometimes will take locals for granted. If we as locals got good service it's a fair bet any international visitors would get the same or better. Also, there were many foreigners, especially Americans for some reason or other, staying at this hotel so I could hear that all the staff seemed to have perfectly good and understandable English.

My girlfriend and I arrived by train in the morning and checked our bags at the train station to do a bit of tourism and shopping before heading for the hotel, checking in at about 4:00. We did not try to check in earlier or check our bags at the hotel because the bag check at the train station was more convenient for the tourism we had planned.

The Peter I hotel is located on the same block as the ultra-elite Petrovsky Passage shopping gallery, one short block from the TSUM ultra-elite shopping center building and one short block further to the Ploshad Teatralnaya (Theater Square) / Ploshad Revolutsi (Revolution Square) area. This central set of squares with the Bolshoi Theater and the Metropol hotel on one side continues on past the red brick gingerbread museums and equestrian statue of Zhukov, past the walkways into Red Square itself and then onward to Maneshnaya Ploshad (Stables Square) area with the Alexander gardens on the one side and the large Manesh (stables) building on the other side and the Ohotny Ryad underground shopping center in the middle. Together with Red Square and the Kremlin this walking area is the absolute epicenter of Moscow and is extremely convenient for travel by Metro to anywhere.

This area is also the epicenter of high end shopping in the historic center of Moscow with Petrovsky Passage, TSUM and GUM (the big elite shopping building right on Red Square) and the Bentley dealership all within a five minute walk. If you are an oligarch in need of a few billion for shopping the Bank of Russia (Russia's equivalent to the Federal Reserve) is immediately across the street. It is a very nice, elite, location.

We had booked a room via Expedia and check-in was very smooth - absolutely instantaneous. I had prepaid to take advantage of a very good prepaid rate so they asked for either a credit card or 3000 rubles (about $100) cash to hold against any room charges. I provided a card, although I have to say I liked the option of providing cash as sometimes when travelling in Russia to a new hotel I don't like to give out any credit cards. By the way, the moment we arrived on our way in the door a doorman rushed over to assist with the one roll-away bag we had. When I said we were OK he immediately let us be, which I also appreciate as I really hate having to struggle with overly-helpful doormen who are clearly looking for tips. This guy was perfect: attentive but not more than desired.

Our room on the fifth floor was superb with high ceiings and a view into the courtyard and over the rooftops. It had an extremely comfortable bed, one of the best I've slept on in a life of travel. My girlfriend appreciated the extra table and stool for use for cosmetics. The bathroom was nice and very serviceable but I would have preferred a larger shower. Also the control was a lever-style, single-lever control that was too easy to tap with one's body when moving about and thus inadvertently changing the flow and temperature. A few touches like this is what in my book keep this a four star hotel instead of the proclaimed five stars. After checking into the hotel we departed for a shopping expedition and dinner, returning back to the hotel around 8 in the evening.

Upon our return to the hotel we were a bit dismayed at the minibar prices for water and such (I suppose in line for Moscow pricing at better hotels, but we felt we could do better) so after checking in we decided to take a walk and find a grocery store. Asking the doorman for directions to a grocery store he advised a small convenience store a short block away and a larger grocery store about three blocks away. To find this store, exit the hotel, turn left and one short block further across the street is a small produce store that is perfect for drinks. We stocked up on bottles of mineral water (still for my girlfriend, carbonated for me...) and a small bottle of vodka as well.

Provisions well in hand we returned to our room to get ready for visiting the hotel swimming pool and spa. We changed into our bathing suits and very luxurious robes provided by the hotel. These robes also were superb. I'm a big guy and hotel robes almost never fit me but these did, being plenty long enough for my arms and to hang down well below my knees and made of thicker-than-average white terry cloth. They were so good that for the first time in years I wondered if the hotel would sell us a couple of robes to take home.

While my girlfriend sat down at the cosmetics table to take off her makeup I poured some vodka and relaxed in the very comfy side chair, enjoying the view over the rooftops with my feet up on the bed. The hotel also provides disposable slippers but we used our own.

The pool is small and in the basement area. We were the only guests using it at about 9 in the evening (the pool closes at 10). Staff was very friendly and provided towels but my first impression of the pool was not good as the Jacuzzi seemed to have a green tinge to it and had a bit too much water in it so the tiled area immediately adjacent was splashed with water constantly, making it very slippery. The pool is too short for serious lap swimmers although you can get a few strokes in before turning around for the next lap. We splashed around and swam a bit, which was very relaxing.

The pool water is warmer than the usual cool lap pool water. The Jacuzzi was small, enough for two people to relax in and stretch out but more than that and everyone would have to sit upright. The Jacuzzi was not hot enough for me but my girlfriend loved it. The spa area offers massages at about 2000 rubles for a back massage - I suppose that's normal for Moscow but a bit high for people used to prices out in the provinces.

Sunday morning we rose late and headed off for breakfast. There is a fine breakfast buffet with the usual foods but it is at most a very good three star or slightly lower than average four star breakfast buffet. For example, they do not serve real orange juice that is 100% juice but but instead serve what would more accurately be described as "orange drink" in that there is some orange juice in the mix but also a lot of sugar and extra water. [This is very typical for "orange juice" as sold in Russian stores. If you ever buy "orange juice" in a Russian store, by the way, only get brands that prominently feature a "100%" graphic on the label, indicating it is 100% orange juice.] This is another one of those touches that keep this a four star hotel and not a five star hotel. On the other hand, the oatmeal they served was some of the best I've ever had at a breakfast buffet.

Service was superb at the breakfast buffet. Just ask where the coffee is if you can't find it at the buffet and a waiter will rush over to pour it for you. The breakfast room is also very light and airy with high ceilings, chandeliers and nice decor.

I took a cup of coffee up to our room with me after breakfast. Finishing that I went downstairs to get some more coffee for my girlfriend and me. Again, staff was very responsive, pouring the coffee for me, rushing to get me cream when I asked for it and offering to send up a pot of coffee to our room. I declined since we only wanted an extra cup each and headed off to the elevators with a cup of coffee in each hand.

As I got to the elevators I realized I had one hand too little since both hands were occupied, yet I need to push the Up button on the elevator and then grab my key to insert into the authorization slot to head up to the fifth floor. The doorman noticed my predicament and immediately came over to assist. He fetched the elevator, used his pass card to enable it, pressed the floor button for me and took the extra cup from me and escorted me to my room carrying the cup of coffee for me. All this was done in the most friendly, neighborly manner. Right then I thought, "OK, maybe this is a five star hotel after all..."

After breakfast we hit the pool again. Once more no one else was at the pool on this Sunday morning. The Jacuzzi water level was lower so there was no slipperiness on adjacent flooring and there seemed not to be a trace of green in water. Overall the water in the pools, both main pool and Jacuzzi, seemed very clean. It was a refreshing way to continue a lazy, relaxed Sunday morning before heading off to museums, walks, art galleries and then a bit more shopping.

Checkout was smooth and very fast, exactly the way you want it to be. I have to say that overall I really like this hotel and will be back when next in Moscow.

Room Tip: Courtyard rooms are quiet. Visit the small store a short block away to save on minibar prices. Ther...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple